Who's Better New Jersey Or Buffalo ?

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Up front favors devils on the back end favors Sabres.

I like Hughes over Thompson

I think Hischier and cozens is a wash or favors Hischier

I like dahlin over hamilton

I think power byram and Hughes nemec is a wash

Not gonna talk about goalies.

New coaches for both teams so toss up there. Both gms traded young skilled guys for tough depth guys.

Both teams need to play better team defense if they want to take the next step and I’d say devils are closer with the pesce and Dillon acquisitions.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
New Jersey is better by a considerable margin.
Usually, a post on a message board is more valuable if supported with further detail. As a rebuttal of equal value to your original statement, blue is the best color by a considerable margin.
The Devils have a tandem of Markstrom and Allen and you think the Sabres have a big advantage in goal? With ... what exactly? Levi and James Reimer? Are you serious?
Just a guess here, but it may be the Sabres starting goalie who you just forgot about. I think goaltending is actually very close, with UPL having upside potential and Markstrom’s age carrying some risk. Levi is not a bad option to have in case of injury or inconsistency.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Up front favors devils on the back end favors Sabres.

I like Hughes over Thompson

I think Hischier and cozens is a wash or favors Hischier

I like dahlin over hamilton

I think power byram and Hughes nemec is a wash

Not gonna talk about goalies.

New coaches for both teams so toss up there. Both gms traded young skilled guys for tough depth guys.

Both teams need to play better team defense if they want to take the next step and I’d say devils are closer with the pesce and Dillon acquisitions.
Hischier vs Cozens a wash is absolutely crazy.

You've left out Pesce Dillon Siegenthaler vs Samuelsson Clifton Joker (lol)

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Right now it's the Devils but it would not be a complete shock if by this time next year it's become a toss-up (with the irony being that the guy the Devils sacked ended up being the game changer for us). People forget that most of our roster has never played a second of their careers for a legitimate NHL quality coach until this upcoming season.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Hischier might be a better player but cozens is more durable. He has only missed 7 games in the last 3 seasons combined
Nico Hischier has played more hockey in each of the last 3 seasons than Dylan Cozens.

Even Strength on ice results
Screenshot 2024-07-19 at 6.56.56 PM.png

Even Strength individual results
Screenshot 2024-07-19 at 6.57.12 PM.png

Individual PP results
Screenshot 2024-07-19 at 6.57.23 PM.png

On Ice PP results
Screenshot 2024-07-19 at 7.00.47 PM.png

On Ice PK results
Screenshot 2024-07-19 at 7.01.16 PM.png

They just aren't in the same stratosphere.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-19 at 6.56.46 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-19 at 6.56.46 PM.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 4

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Two most disappointing teams in the east last year IMO.

New Jersey is a year or two ahead in their build and therefore better.

Each team looked like they took steps to address their issues over the summer so I kinda expect them back to where they were 2 years ago: Buffalo on the playoff bubble and New Jersey up near the top of the standings.

When and if the Eastern Conference ever flips, these are 2 teams I expect to be part of it.
Nobody's build is ahead of Buffalo, they've been building since 2014 :popcorn:

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
The gap between Hughes and Nico and Cozens and Thompson is going VASTLY understated here.

Jack>>>Nico>=Tage>>>Cozens

Reactions: Devilsfan118

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
I think both have good pieces, but overall NJD pieces are a slight step up from what buffalo has in most cases.
Management is also the same case, NJD has its issues but it is definitely better than buffalo.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Don't have a dog in this fight, and don't understand the comparison. One of these team's core when getting average goaltending has a 110 points and won a playoff series. The other has found a way to consistently underperform. Either team could make the playoffs next year and not surprise me, and I expect both teams to improve.

This is one of those times that comparing the top5 players on each team is not fully representative of the comparison.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
New Jersey for sure. Not a fan of either team at all, but this seems obviously NJ.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kevyn Adams
I'm far from a blind Fitz lover and think it's about high time for shit or get off the pot as far as he goes, but I can't imagine being a Devils fan and rather having something Kevyn Adams built or god forbid having him.

I think Buffalo might need to clean house of him in order to really move forward. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Lindy is eventually dual head coach/GM or just the GM there in the fairly near future.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Just want to Clarify you're talking about Lindy Ruff?
Just want to Clarify: you are going to tell me how much Lindy sucks because of last season where his top defenseman missed the season, Nico and Hughes both missed long stretches of the season and the goaltending would've been considered shit by AHL standards?

I'm far from a blind Fitz lover and think it's about high time for shit or get off the pot as far as he goes, but I can't imagine being a Devils fan and rather having something Kevyn Adams built or god forbid having him.

I think Buffalo might need to clean house of him in order to really move forward. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Lindy is eventually dual head coach/GM or just the GM there in the fairly near future.
He is the most comically unqualified GM hire since Garf went from backup goalie to GM under that batshit crazy lunatic Charles Wang.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just want to Clarify you're talking about Lindy Ruff?
I know a lot of Devils fans act like he's the worst head coach we've ever had (worst since Hynes/Nas for sure lol), but I don't think he's that bad. And I was pretty much done with him by 2022 and was surprised he survived those first two seasons.

It was definitely time to move on and I also think Fitz jumped the gun in giving him multiple years, which didn't even start until after he was fired, but I think he's an upgrade over maybe anybody they've had as head coach since the last time he was the head coach.

They've had some hilariously awful head coaches since Ruff. Freddie's brother Ralph? Disco Dan? Ron Rolston? Ted Nolan 2.0? I may be missing more names in between. And then Don Granato, who they probably kept around longer (without checking) than any head coach post-Ruff.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Just want to Clarify: you are going to tell me how much Lindy sucks because of last season where his top defenseman missed the season, Nico and Hughes both missed long stretches of the season and the goaltending would've been considered shit by AHL standards?

He is the most comically unqualified GM hire since Garf went from backup goalie to GM under that batshit crazy lunatic Charles Wang.
I wanted Ruff replaced before this season even started.

Now of course, it would have been unfeasible to fire him after 22-23 but he should have been let ride out to pasture as his contract expired, and replaced by Brunette.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Power played like crap and Dahlin is being overrated here.
Although a lot of their problems are due to poor coaching.

Power was allergic to playing defense last year. No chance he gets away with the same play under Ruff. He'll get his ass benched. The problem will sort itself out.

Dahlin is harder to solve. Adams seems to love playing him in the wrong position. He'll never be good defensively on the right side and he'll constantly get victimized by speedy forecheckers. Not much options to fix this with Jokiharju being their best RHD.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Power played like crap and Dahlin is being overrated here.
Although a lot of their problems are due to poor coaching.

Power was allergic to playing defense last year. No chance he gets away with the same play under Ruff. He'll get his ass benched. The problem will sort itself out.

Dahlin is harder to solve. Adams seems to love playing him in the wrong position. He'll never be good defensively on the right side and he'll constantly get victimized by speedy forecheckers. Not much options to fix this with Jokiharju being their best RHD.
Again, just to clarify, you're referring to Lindy Ruff?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad