Who's Better New Jersey Or Buffalo ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
What position do you think the Sabres don't have good players ? Assuming that's what you mean....I don't mean to put words in your mouth.......

What position do you think the Sabres don't have good players ? Assuming that's what you mean....I don't mean to put words in your mouth.......

The forward position, I think New Jersey has a advantage, it may not be huge but they have an advantage.

On defence New Jersey has a very advantage, Hamilton, Hughes and Pesce are better than combo that Buffalo can throw out and you also got Nemec.

With Markstrom, the Devils have a advantage.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
I've thought Buffalo would have made the playoffs two years in a row now. I think they have the potential to be a top team in the league, but for whatever reason it's taken time to make that next step. Tage looked like one of the best players 22-23, if he can get back to that level I think they finally make the playoffs this upcoming season.

If the Devils stay healthy and still miss the playoffs, it would be considered a big disappointment. But if Buffalo misses, most will think that was expected.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
F:
Hughes>Tage
Bratt>Peterka
Hischier>Cozens
After that I think we're pretty competitive and might even give us an edge (Tuch/Quinn/Zucker about a wash with Meier/Mercer/Palát)

D:
Dahlin>Hamilton
Power>whoever you wanna say is gonna be the Devils 2D
After that it's Devils AINEC

G:
As fans of both teams will tell you, goaltending can and will make or break your season. The Devils seem to get a new guy every other year in hopes of fixing it and it never works. I think this is where the Sabres have a big advantage.

Overall I would prefer to have the Devils team (objectively, subjectively you can take Dahlin from my cold dead hands) but I think there's a good chance we do better this season.
Power was better than Luke Hughes last season, but I’m not so sure that will hold true next season and his ceiling is higher.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Power was better last season. And the season before. And the one before that. And the one before that one too. But next season, surely Luke Hughes will be better!
Guess we’ll see, bud. Hughes unquestionably has higher potential and he’ll be much better insulated than Power will be in Buffalo.

Also just noticing you think the Sabres will have a “big advantage” in goaltending next season. Jokes.

Think I can safely back away from your general assessments at this point.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Kind of a silly question and it makes me curious of the motive. NJ made the playoffs a year ago and have added to that core on top of high end talent being internally added. Injuries and goaltending are the reason they missed this year but they’re pretty clearly qualified to make the playoffs.

Buffalo hasn’t done that yet and while I’m in the minority in saying I think they made good moves this off season until they play as a team and make it they’re not there yet.

I can’t see how you say different unless you don’t like NJ and are denying they’re a team that should be in the playoffs.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Two most disappointing teams in the east last year IMO.

New Jersey is a year or two ahead in their build and therefore better.

Each team looked like they took steps to address their issues over the summer so I kinda expect them back to where they were 2 years ago: Buffalo on the playoff bubble and New Jersey up near the top of the standings.

When and if the Eastern Conference ever flips, these are 2 teams I expect to be part of it.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
The forward position, I think New Jersey has a advantage, it may not be huge but they have an advantage.

On defence New Jersey has a very advantage, Hamilton, Hughes and Pesce are better than combo that Buffalo can throw out and you also got Nemec.

With Markstrom, the Devils have a advantage.

Dahlin is the best defenseman on either team by a very comfortable margin. And Luukkonen was the better goalie last season (and he's young still).

Last edited:

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
And then you woke up

No but apparently some people are still pretending Owen Power isn't a great player for some reason?
I think Owen Power is a very good player and compares well with the Devils' defencemen.

On the other hand, imo an NHL defenceman who has never had a single top 5 Norris vote nor top 3 all-star vote is not close to having earned the right to be called "great."

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
I think Owen Power is a very good player and compares well with the Devils' defencemen.

On the other hand, imo an NHL defenceman who has never had a single top 5 Norris vote nor top 3 all-star vote is not close to having earned the right to be called "great."
I would not take Power over Luke Hughes. Hughes played a ton with Brendan Smith (absolutely awful) and still drove play. They both have things to work on defensively but Hughes is also a year younger

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
G:
As fans of both teams will tell you, goaltending can and will make or break your season. The Devils seem to get a new guy every other year in hopes of fixing it and it never works. I think this is where the Sabres have a big advantage.

The Devils have a tandem of Markstrom and Allen and you think the Sabres have a big advantage in goal? With ... what exactly? Levi and James Reimer? Are you serious?

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Dahlin is the best defenseman on either team by a very comfortable margin. And Luukkonen was the better goalie last season (and he's young still).

Dahlin and the Sabres can never put it together when it matters, not the Devils have either but I think the Devils just have a better group and if they mesh, watch out.

With Buffalo you already know what you have.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
As a Sabres fan. the Devils do.

Could that change in the next 12-18 months? Sure. But, the Sabres were pegged to be up and coming since 2015..

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Like everybody(?) has said, it's New Jersey. It's not even really close.

The question should be asked then... if you want a good comparable team to compare to Buffalo, who would it be, because it isn't the Devils.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad