Prospect Info: Anton Silayev (LD - #10 Overall - Round 1 - 2024 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
It sounds like Silayev is already a fairly tough customer and it looks like he will be packing on a fair amount of muscle over the next few years.

Obviously they’ll want to balance that with his skating but it seems like he may be naturally on the stronger side.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
It sounds like Silayev is already a fairly tough customer and it looks like he will be packing on a fair amount of muscle over the next few years.

Obviously they’ll want to balance that with his skating but it seems like he may be naturally on the stronger side.

I look at a guy like Parayko who is a tank at 6’6 ~230 and also a great skater. He was drafted at 6’4 195. So even after just adjusting for the weight gained from the 2 extra inches he gained around 25 pounds and kept the skating. Silayev was 6’7 207 and I imagine something similar with him where in his prime he’ll have packed on another 20-30 pounds and ends up 230-235

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Pronman is certainly high on Silayev. Has him ranked #11 overall on the U23 list:

Tier 1 - Elite NHL Player

1. Bedard
2. Stutzle
3. Celebrini
4. Fantilli

Tier 2 - Bubble Elite NHL Player and NHL All Star

5. Carlsson
6. Luke Hughes
7. Michkov
8. Levshunov

Tier 3 - NHL All Star

9. Beniers
10. Yakemchuk
11. Silayev
12. Johnston
13. Sanderson
14. Lafreniere
15. Slafkovsky
16. Buium
17. Demidov

Both Nemec and Mercer fall into Tier 6 - Bubble Top and Middle of the Lineup Player. Here's their surrounding players...

Nemec is at #42 between Rossi & Clarke at the top of the tier. Mercer is at 56 between Askarov and Peterka.

Casey does not make the list of 155 players.

Thats what I was saying before. Pronman has him the 4th best Dman of the group, ahead of Sanderson and draft writer favorite Buium. He obviously thinks there is offensive upside.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
he was FLYING today, like actively challenging exit attempts from inside the opp blue line and then immediately hauling it back to his own zone. probably too aggressive, couple times it felt unnecessary to pinch as hard as he did, but he was good at generating pressure. entry denials and neutral zone step ups were strong in this respect

great suppression in his own zone, stick was disruptive as always and he was really good at keeping the netfront clear and forcing forecheckers into the boards down low. killed plays early. his reach is so funny, at one point early 2nd play broke down and the attacker comes in 1 on 1 w silayev (who was kinda caught flat footed) and his stick placement alone neutralized it, guy couldnt even get a shot off

no major commentary on puck play, most of his pass attempts were pretty straightforward D to D or around the boards type plays, but outside of one lazy clear on a long shift they generally worked. the one thing i will say is that i saw him surveying his options more and not forcing stretch passes/causing turnovers

lined up left side the entire game, no PP minutes, and some PK time at the end when it was already over. not much to talk about offensively until the 3rd: one rush that didnt really go anywhere, and a lobbed shot from the point after a routine hold along the boards. good engagement just nowhere close to getting results today

i get theres always a honeymoon phase w new draft picks but this was a really good defensive showing, he didnt let much of anything up. good start to the season

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
he was FLYING today, like actively challenging exit attempts from inside the opp blue line and then immediately hauling it back to his own zone. probably too aggressive, couple times it felt unnecessary to pinch as hard as he did, but he was good at generating pressure. entry denials and neutral zone step ups were strong in this respect

great suppression in his own zone, stick was disruptive as always and he was really good at keeping the netfront clear and forcing forecheckers into the boards down low. killed plays early. his reach is so funny, at one point early 2nd play broke down and the attacker comes in 1 on 1 w silayev (who was kinda caught flat footed) and his stick placement alone neutralized it, guy couldnt even get a shot off

no major commentary on puck play, most of his pass attempts were pretty straightforward D to D or around the boards type plays, but outside of one lazy clear on a long shift they generally worked. the one thing i will say is that i saw him surveying his options more and not forcing stretch passes/causing turnovers

lined up left side the entire game, no PP minutes, and some PK time at the end when it was already over. not much to talk about offensively until the 3rd: one rush that didnt really go anywhere, and a lobbed shot from the point after a routine hold along the boards. good engagement just nowhere close to getting results today

i get theres always a honeymoon phase w new draft picks but this was a really good defensive showing, he didnt let much of anything up. good start to the season
Thanks for the writeup! Good stuff!!

• Love
Reactions: evnted

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

There was also the other one where he sent the puck to no one and it nearly went for an icing.

Defensively I think the aggression has always been there but I liked how he was activating aggressively offensively a bit at times as well trying to get involved even if nothing came of it. I’d rather see him be overly aggressive and try to push the limits of his game. He’s got the capability to make up for his mistakes. Also just due to the nature of his game not having much offense it’s not like he’s going to be making glaring errors left and right that will get his ice time cut and especially when he’s so sound defensively in general.

Shit they might as well just start using him on the PP with how bad they were today lol. 0/7 on the PP and shut out in the game

Last edited:
Reactions: evnted and My3Sons

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
Reactions: My3Sons

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
another nice showing today. disclaimer that i didnt quite catch all of his game, but most of it

more good stuff on the D end. defensive stick, physical game, board play, netfront clearing all looked good. saw PK time on a split 4v3/5v3. one play to call out: fringe 2 on 1 forming that he killed pretty much the instant the puck carrier crossed the blue line. good example of that unison thing i mentioned a while back. frame/mobility makes him big, imposing, and forces guys wide, but at the same time his stickwork and gap control are so tactical that he takes away whatever remaining space the attacker has to work with, completely closing them in along the boards

speaking of, extra dominant on the boards today. heavy, toppled a guy trying to roll out around him. held up well against contact. at one point he even got double teamed on a retrieval only to shrug both of them off (and carry the puck out in the process, no less, didnt just toss it away)

seemed to be trying to incorporate fakes/a little deception/some shimmying on the puck. im not so sure it was really that effective (he was kind of bobbling the puck in the process) but hey he tried. part of a more overarching issue of some choppy handling at times today. nothing overtly concerning just wasnt as clean on the puck

PK/deep zone clears still showed some issue. if hes gonna try to rim it around the boards from behind the net hes gotta straight up wire it (or at least skate it out more and try to launch it out directly). leads to his unit getting unnecessarily pinned

i dont know if his offensive involvement was really that different today but he did get rewarded for it. a secondary, as mentioned, which was just a nice heads up pass from the point, nothing special. had a really similar play a bit earlier in the game and had it not been for the khl's weird 2nd pass scoring system (ie if P1 and P2 pass back and forth it takes away the assist from P3) he wouldve had another. even before that he teed up a fairly deflection friendly shot that led to a dangerous scramble in front, so 3 legitimate chances started from his efforts at the point

also fun fact, Karpovich had his KHL debut in this game, too

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
had a really similar play a bit earlier in the game and had it not been for the khl's weird 2nd pass scoring system (ie if P1 and P2 pass back and forth it takes away the assist from P3) he wouldve had another.

Ahhh so that's what happened. I looked away for a second and then heard Silayev's name and a goal happened right after. Then my stream cut out right as the replays started up.

seemed to be trying to incorporate fakes/a little deception/some shimmying on the puck. im not so sure it was really that effective (he was kind of bobbling the puck in the process) but hey he tried. part of a more overarching issue of some choppy handling at times today. nothing overtly concerning just wasnt as clean on the puck

There was a shift in the second I thought looked a bit rough. I'm not sure if these were the exact specifics but I think he deceived a guy behind his goal line but then in the process lost the puck in his feet and got turned around a bit. Then got hit by a forechecker. It turned into a 2v2 board battle. I think his teammate won it to Silayev and then Silayev just wrapped the puck aimlessly around the boards to no one.

Reactions: My3Sons and evnted

My3Sons

Sponsor
Ahhh so that's what happened. I looked away for a second and then heard Silayev's name and a goal happened right after. Then my stream cut out right as the replays started up.

There was a shift in the second I thought looked a bit rough. I'm not sure if these were the exact specifics but I think he deceived a guy behind his goal line but then in the process lost the puck in his feet and got turned around a bit. Then got hit by a forechecker. It turned into a 2v2 board battle. I think his teammate won it to Silayev and then Silayev just wrapped the puck aimlessly around the boards to no one.
So he spent some time with Siegenthaler learning about decision making in the offseason?

• Haha
Reactions: evnted

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Really rough shift. Turned the puck over behind the net which lead to a good chance out front. Then tried to carry the puck out the zone and was pickpocketed from behind. Took a penalty on that guy. Got scored on while he was in the box.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Really rough shift. Turned the puck over behind the net which lead to a good chance out front. Then tried to carry the puck out the zone and was pickpocketed from behind. Took a penalty on that guy. Got scored on while he was in the box.
Hopefully he stays calm and doesn’t lose his composure after that

Reactions: Forge

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
From the game I remember he had very long shift and after that in the next shift he started to play and made this mistakes. He did not look fresh and may be he just needed more rest time from burn out.
Its a beauty he has this kind of experience on the adult level as 18 yo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad