Prospect Info: Anton Silayev (LD - #10 Overall - Round 1 - 2024 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I'm at a loss as to what move even inspired this post and its apparent specificity. Sykora for Jeff Friesen + Tverdovsky?

That trade always makes me chuckle just because of how I found out about it.

I had gone home for that July 4th weekend. My parents were still on dial up Internet, so I was relatively off the grid. We'd end up going to my uncle's for a BBQ. At some point I grabbed a newspaper to have something to read while using the bathroom.

And then that's when I read that we dealt Sykora. Suddenly I hear a commotion outside and my cousin starts knocking on the bathroom door asking for help to break up a verbal altercation between our moms.

Once things cooled down, I remember turning to my cousin (Ducks fan) and saying "Hey so our teams just made a pretty big trade." [/coolstorybro]

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
They were fine. The team was bad and the goalies did them no favors. The experience gained will pay dividends going forward. There is almost always a learning curve. Look for both guys to start turning that corner a bit sooner as a result of starting the progression last season. Walking before running.

They were nowhere near fine. And it's interesting that the same goalie had one of his best seasons with two professional defensemen in front of him. Maybe the goalies weren't the issue.

Nothing about Luke Hughes' game in the second half of the year suggested he was any better at, or interested in, defending than he was at the start of the year.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
They were nowhere near fine. And it's interesting that the same goalie had one of his best seasons with two professional defemsemen in front of him. Maybe the goalies weren't the issue.

Nothing about Luke Hughes' game in the second half of the year suggested he was any better at, or interested in, defending than he was at the start of the year.
That’s your opinion. Others saw it differently. My thoughts are a bit different. Who cares if they are or weren’t good. It was a terrible season and their play didn’t hamper anything. My belief is that the experience will help them become better defenders when it matters. It’s like the discussion about Jack as a rookie. Sure he needed improvement but playing allowed him to gain the experience heneeded to become the player he is now. Luke and Nemec occupy similar space. The past season will help them improve. I care about what they will do not what they did as rookies.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
I'm not gonna sit here and cry about two defencemen, both of whom's fanbases want bought out, not taking space away from Hughes and Nemec for a combined $11M

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
if you think that Luke Hughes is all the sudden going to turn into some stalwart defensively, that is on you. Because if he WAS that, he is on track to be one of the best DMen of all time.

All he has to do is be serviceable defensively, which for the most part he was last year....especially when not playing with the guy who wore #2. Luke AWAY from Smith last year was at 55% xG% and 38% with him.

Luke Hughes and Jack Hughes are going to be Devils for a LONG time, so if you hate them so much, you probably should be a fan of a new team tbh.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
It didn't occur to me that the Timo trade was even a bad move, but he had an awful half year last year no doubt. He finished strong though and I hope he's over his injury issues.
Despite his awful stretch, he still had the third best goal per game rate of his career last year. He was an absolute menace in his final 30ish games.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Posts like that make me hear this song and think of this character

Or this one

The goalies were good corporate stooges.

Luke and Simon would not take part in a time honored tradition. Luke and Simon screwed Luke and Simon. NOT THE GOALIES!

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
They were nowhere near fine. And it's interesting that the same goalie had one of his best seasons with two professional defensemen in front of him. Maybe the goalies weren't the issue.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thanks. I needed a good laugh today.

Reactions: Bleedred

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
That’s your opinion. Others saw it differently. My thoughts are a bit different. Who cares if they are or weren’t good. It was a terrible season and their play didn’t hamper anything. My belief is that the experience will help them become better defenders when it matters. It’s like the discussion about Jack as a rookie. Sure he needed improvement but playing allowed him to gain the experience heneeded to become the player he is now. Luke and Nemec occupy similar space. The past season will help them improve. I care about what they will do not what they did as rookies.
jokes on you, this guy hates jack too!

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Where am I? Wash me!
Slowly steering back to Silayev, although the idea of him washing a regular sized person intrigued me.

IMG_5089.jpeg

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Corey Pronman ranked him the #2 U23 player in the Devils system, ahead of Nemec, Mercer, and Casey.

(though he also isn’t too high on Casey, i’m sensing a pattern…)

He did say Silayev’s skating is NHL average. Obviously I haven’t watched Silayev a ton but I think that may be selling Silayev short. In the little looks I’ve taken Silayev skates well for a person of any size, not just well for a big man.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
He did say Silayev’s skating is NHL average. Obviously I haven’t watched Silayev a ton but I think that may be selling Silayev short. In the little looks I’ve taken Silayev skates well for a person of any size, not just well for a big man.
Pronman’s individual skill rankings are hilariously off often so I wouldn’t put any stock into that

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Corey Pronman ranked him the #2 U23 player in the Devils system, ahead of Nemec, Mercer, and Casey.

(though he also isn’t too high on Casey, i’m sensing a pattern…)

Pronman is certainly high on Silayev. Has him ranked #11 overall on the U23 list:

Tier 1 - Elite NHL Player

1. Bedard
2. Stutzle
3. Celebrini
4. Fantilli

Tier 2 - Bubble Elite NHL Player and NHL All Star

5. Carlsson
6. Luke Hughes
7. Michkov
8. Levshunov

Tier 3 - NHL All Star

9. Beniers
10. Yakemchuk
11. Silayev
12. Johnston
13. Sanderson
14. Lafreniere
15. Slafkovsky
16. Buium
17. Demidov

Both Nemec and Mercer fall into Tier 6 - Bubble Top and Middle of the Lineup Player. Here's their surrounding players...

Nemec is at #42 between Rossi & Clarke at the top of the tier. Mercer is at 56 between Askarov and Peterka.

Casey does not make the list of 155 players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad