Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
20240904_093649.jpg

That Utah jersey looks even more like they just ripped off the Sharks alternate when right next to a Sharks jersey.

Also, LMAO at Rempe being there.

20240904_095131.jpg

Those Ducks jerseys are glorious, although I still think black pants would work better with them.

Last edited:

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
The irony of this coming from a fan of one of the worst teams in the NHL that will likely miss out on playoffs regardless of how many players are injured is hilarious.
if we just drafted cody gakpo ...

sh*t

can somebody help me? what was the name of that finnish dude?

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
In the end this changes nothing if the argument is that only gold or the cup matters. If that's the case, the Devils have just been wasting their time for the last 21 years.

It's an argument that makes no sense from the perspective of sports.
you think your appearance on the devils board is less of a waste?

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Actually, they are a property of the team they sign with. Not property in the sense they are slaves, but "a" property. There is a distinction. You sign a contract that says what you can and can not do. Just like you sign a life insurance policy that says you do not engage in activities that greatly increase the risk of death.

This isn't grade school. You have contractual obligations that you agree to when you put your big boy pen to paper.
are you working for a company? are you allowed to go out for a drink? during the week? at the weekends?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I cancelled my Athletic subscription, but I’m guessing Pronman has more than a few prospects just drafted in June slotted above players who have proven they are capable of playing in the NHL and still appear to have a high ceiling. Pronman lovessssss shiny new toy

FWIW, he only has four 2024 draft picks in his top 15 overall and 8 in his top 25.

He certainly does lean into the more recent draft classes though overall, maybe as some top players from older classes flame out to some degree.

I keep an eye on my Athletic subscription and make sure to cancel before the $1 per month offer runs out. Not really worth any more than that.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I'm sure this has already been discussed once the schedule came out, but I'm just looking at it now and seeing our last preseason game is in Philly the night before our regular season kicks off in Prague.

So, what does everyone think is the play for how to handle preseason games and when does the team leave for Prague?

I'm thinking that you have close to the final roster (maybe some bubble players getting one last look) on the 27th (exactly one week before the season opener) before leaving for Prague a day or two later. This gives the team some time to adjust to the time change, enjoy Prague a bit and handle NHL obligations and get a few practices in before the season starts.

That would leave 3 preseason games for mostly Utica to play in, so it will be a unique preseason to say the least with the roster not really getting trimmed down as the preseason goes on - especially with 3 games in 4 nights to end the preseason when the main team will presumably be gone.

Have to wonder if the final roster decisions will be made by the time the team leaves for Prague or if they bring a couple extra players to get a few more views in Prague and so as to not tip their hand on who may be hitting waivers. I would personally be on the latter, which further diminishes our lineup for the end of the preseason. Not that that really matters all that much as I think the preseason is too long anyway and would rather see our prospects get more playing time, but we're probably looking at 2-3 preseason games each for our top players.

Also have to wonder if this impacts signing guys to PTO's as it is a very condensed schedule for someone to try to make an impact when you also need to get the vets in early (not to mention the roster is already rather full as is).

1725462895861.png

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I hate lists like these. Mercer at 53 is wild to me when you consider he's played three straight 82 game seasons and there's other guys who haven't even hit NHL ice yet. I get that it's based on "potential" but it irks me.
Pronman has been like this for a while. I think he has pretty reasonable pure prospect lists, but it is abundantly clear he doesn't actually follow what's going on in the NHL (which, I guess fair, he's probably unable to given he has to spend all his time scouting).

But it is glaringly obvious when he has to write these combined "pipeline" pieces.

I think it's the only way to do a ranking like this. Anyone can rank players in the NHL against players in the NHL, or players who haven't played there against one another, but there's no reason not to consider both groups of players together when you're thinking about the future of the league.
I have no issue with doing these combined "pipeline" rankings, but it is seems bizarre to rank non-elite prospects equal to or ahead of guys who are established NHLers.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
View attachment 904988
That Utah jersey looks even more like they just ripped off the Sharks alternate when right next to a Sharks jersey.

View attachment 904993
Those Ducks jerseys are glorious, although I still think black pants would work better with them.
Dying at Rempe being there too lol

I'm sure this has already been discussed once the schedule came out, but I'm just looking at it now and seeing our last preseason game is in Philly the night before our regular season kicks off in Prague.

So, what does everyone think is the play for how to handle preseason games and when does the team leave for Prague?

I'm thinking that you have close to the final roster (maybe some bubble players getting one last look) on the 27th (exactly one week before the season opener) before leaving for Prague a day or two later. This gives the team some time to adjust to the time change, enjoy Prague a bit and handle NHL obligations and get a few practices in before the season starts.

That would leave 3 preseason games for mostly Utica to play in, so it will be a unique preseason to say the least with the roster not really getting trimmed down as the preseason goes on - especially with 3 games in 4 nights to end the preseason when the main team will presumably be gone.

Have to wonder if the final roster decisions will be made by the time the team leaves for Prague or if they bring a couple extra players to get a few more views in Prague and so as to not tip their hand on who may be hitting waivers. I would personally be on the latter, which further diminishes our lineup for the end of the preseason. Not that that really matters all that much as I think the preseason is too long anyway and would rather see our prospects get more playing time, but we're probably looking at 2-3 preseason games each for our top players.

Also have to wonder if this impacts signing guys to PTO's as it is a very condensed schedule for someone to try to make an impact when you also need to get the vets in early (not to mention the roster is already rather full as is).

View attachment 904997
I saw that and it doesn’t really make sense to me. Buffalo is traveling earlier and playing exhibitions against Euro sides. No idea why we aren’t doing the same.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

View attachment 904997

I would assume that that final game on 10/3 against Philly will basically be just the Utica roster

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
View attachment 904988

View attachment 904993
those ducks jerseys are nice. i like the orange pants i'm glad teams are maybe finally starting to get away from black/dark jerseys.

also from a previous post that showed casey he looked tiny out there.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I would assume that that final game on 10/3 against Philly will basically be just the Utica roster

Most definitely.

I'm more curious as to when our team will leave for Prague, how many players will go and how our travel schedule compares to Buffalo.

The season opener is Friday, October 4th. I don't see any way our vets are still in the US playing preseason games that Monday or Tuesday - so that's at least 3 preseason games that will be filled primarily with Utica players.

Is that allowed? Isn't there a minimum number of vets required? Maybe (hopefully) the league waived that requirement.

League will have to waive that requirement I would think given the circumstances.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Is that allowed? Isn't there a minimum number of vets required? Maybe (hopefully) the league waived that requirement.

I imagine there is some exemption made for the teams headed overseas.

Anaheim/LA did a preseason game in San Diego last year and I had to give up my ticket. I was less annoyed after checking the box score and seeing that it was basically a glorified AHL game in NHL jerseys. LA brought one "veteran" (Devils legend Steve Santini) and Anaheim had John Gibson and Max Jones.

Looking at another Kings preseason game and it didn't seem like they hit the minimum in their next game either.

Looking at the CBA clause:

A Club shall be permitted to dress a minimum of eight (8) veterans for any Exhibition Game. For purposes of this Section 15.4(c), a veteran shall constitute either: (1) a forward or defenseman who played in thirty (30) NHL Games during the previous season, (2) a goaltender who either dressed in fifty (50) or more NHL Games or played in thirty (30) or more NHL Games in the previous season, (3) a first round draft choice from the most recent year's Entry Draft, or (4) any Player who has played one-hundred (100) or more career NHL Games. The matter of Player participation in Exhibition Games shall be referred to the NHL/NHLPA Competition Committee for its consideration and recommendations, if any, in accordance with Article 22.

I couldn't find anything specific in Article 22, but seemingly the Competition Committee could grant an exemption. Just remembered that LA did a couple preseason games in Australia (and they brought most of their opening night roster) last year so it would make sense if they were given an exemption on the ensuing preseason games.

Last edited:

Andre Palot

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
View attachment 904988

View attachment 904993
The Utah jerseys look like a botched Winnipeg Jets jersey that you'd complain to Fanatics over.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016

View attachment 904997

They'll play mostly NHLers early on and then ship em out to Prague. Then use the later games to try out prospects/minor leaguers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad