Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
That's probably a way better of putting it, any forward we drafted that high was probably gonna play with Jack/Nico anyway. Nico tends to work with anyone so the Jack situation seemed more dire at the time.

I wanted one of those guys regardless at the time, I wanted Rossi to build an absurd 3 headed monster down the middle and Perfetti was a good C/W to get.
If you wanted a center and didn't want a short player, you'd have done well with Lundell who would look pretty good on NJ right now.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
What's funny is that Mercer was drafted as a center and has played there, he's just not any good at it. It's just easy to say the Devils drafted for need when he didn't work out at that position (but still may, it's early yet).

My3Sons

Sponsor
What's funny is that Mercer was drafted as a center and has played there, he's just not any good at it. It's just easy to say the Devils drafted for need when he didn't work out at that position (but still may, it's early yet).
That U-23 prospect ranking just had him as a 2C which of course jibes with what he is for NJ.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Mercer was split RW/C more RW before the draft. He played more center role next year after the draft. But he always tried to play like winger all the time. Anyway he was consensus pick no matter how we are thinking about him in the moment.

I wasnt a fan of penciling him as a center right from the beggining. Im not a fan still. But its not like he should be great all around center for 3C center role. If he will handle it even with some losing of productivity - its okay.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
There’s now hindsight in criticizing the 2020 draft.

But if we redrafted today I’d think Marco Rossi or Cole Perfetti too. There were plenty of people at the time who wanted Rossi when he unexpectedly fell open at #7.

Now that Lafrenière is developing, 2020 is shaping up as a monster draft. Stutzle, Raymond, the Defensemen already mentioned by others - it’s a damn good thing we got Mercer out of it or it would have ended up a huge disappointment for us and not to Fitz’s credit.

Who wouldn’t love to have Rossi here as center # 3 this upcoming season ?
I don't think it's hindsight bias to criticize the draft. And I don't think it was a terrible first round for them. Mercer, by any measure, was quite a good pick for a back-half first rounder. I wasn't enthused with Muk, but they used him as the equivalent of a 1st round value to add Meier, so no issue there.

I don't think it's hindsight to criticize the Holtz pick though. It was not a good pick and that was my opinion at the time. One-shot scorers, with minimal other + value attributes, are very risky selections. Too many paths to failure IMO. I had Rossi and Perfetti rated far higher than Holtz, and also had Jarvis and Lundel ranked better too. It was a bad pick. Fitz made it worse by mismanaging the asset after the fact too.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Camille the Eel

I don't think it's hindsight bias to criticize the draft. And I don't think it was a terrible first round for them. Mercer, by any measure, was quite a good pick for a back-half first rounder. I wasn't enthused with Muk, but they used him as the equivalent of a 1st round value to add Meier, so no issue there.

I don't think it's hindsight to criticize the Holtz pick though. It was not a good pick and that was my opinion at the time. One-shot scorers, with minimal other + value attributes, are very risky selections. Too many paths to failure IMO. I had Rossi and Perfetti rated far higher than Holtz, and also had Jarvis and Lundel ranked better too. It was a bad pick. Fitz made it worse by mismanaging the asset after the fact too.
I agree. And I think in particular that scoring in the juniors, or Sweden, or KHL, or college - if that’s your only claim to fame - often will not translate to scoring in the NHL. So it was by nature a very risky pick. All Holtz had going for him was his shot and his hands and there was no reason to assume that this would necessarily carry over in the big room. The lack of skating skills in particular was questioned at the time and in retrospect should have been alarming.

Reactions: bossram

My3Sons

Sponsor

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I have a tough time putting Silayev ahead of two guys already having NHL success. Granted he is promising but he’s 18 and has such a long and winding road ahead of him.
I hate lists like these. Mercer at 53 is wild to me when you consider he's played three straight 82 game seasons and there's other guys who haven't even hit NHL ice yet. I get that it's based on "potential" but it irks me.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Pronman BADLY underselling Nemec
Yeah I have to agree. He only had 5 points less than Luke Hughes at 5v5 last season. And that's with 22 less games played. Luke has the physical tools but Nemec's hockey IQ was instantly noticeable, and not just “good for a teenerager” or “good for a rookie.” He looked like the only calming presence on the entire backend after only 78 games in North America. The sky's the limit for him, IMO.

And he even outscored Dougie Hamilton. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I think Gritsyuk was 150 or something on the list. can't see it anymore cause of the whole subscriber thing popping up now.

No Casey

I don't see Grits on the list at all.

And in case anyone's interested, Mukhamadullin at #89

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Yeah, those lists do nothing for me. Just an opinion piece, ultimately. Nice to see where our guys are represented against the whole league, but I agree that it's hard to give credence to where Mercer is ranked when he's done what he's done at the NHL level for 3 years now.

Even with the down year last year, he's tied for 4th in his draft class in goals and 5th in points. I wonder how he was ranked vs. the others in his class.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I hate lists like these. Mercer at 53 is wild to me when you consider he's played three straight 82 game seasons and there's other guys who haven't even hit NHL ice yet. I get that it's based on "potential" but it irks me.

I think it's the only way to do a ranking like this. Anyone can rank players in the NHL against players in the NHL, or players who haven't played there against one another, but there's no reason not to consider both groups of players together when you're thinking about the future of the league.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Pronman BADLY underselling Nemec

I cancelled my Athletic subscription, but I’m guessing Pronman has more than a few prospects just drafted in June slotted above players who have proven they are capable of playing in the NHL and still appear to have a high ceiling. Pronman lovessssss shiny new toy

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Starving for content, I listened to the The Athletic Hockey Podcast doing the Pronman rankings. I get that part of it might be to generate interest and hopefully some paid clicks to the articles, but never heard a anyone practically say “he’s good because I said so” so many times like CP did 😁

Ok, Prawn-man🍤

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Maybe it’s still early for a TV schedule but does anyone know where the Prague games will be on TV? I assume they’re not MSG, hope they’re not ESPN plus - NHLN perhaps?

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
But the doctor said nothing was dislocated. Thats the key here (if that remains true). That is a quick recovery. The long tricky recovery happens when there is structural damage from a dislocation. When it’s just a contusion or bruise, all that has to happen is for the swelling to subside.

I fell on my shoulder playing hockey and I was only out three weeks because it was just a bad contusion. Nothing was dislocated and I never had any long lasting effects.
are you sure?

dano would like to have a word with you.

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad