GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
What is his level of impact though?
One of the best players in the league, and the 2nd best player on the team.
If so, then we can easily do that with just Matthews and Nylander and then surrounding them with better defence and depth scoring.
Having good defense and depth does not require throwing away our best players. We've already done it, through a much more difficult league and team situation.
And so far, Treliving hasn't shown an ability to improve either, or effectively use cap space.
How can we sit here and act like his 11 mil of cap on top of the already 18 mil we got and then maybe even more if we move guys like Jarnkrok and Timmins wouldn't come with upgrading the teams weaknesses on defence and depth?
The only cap space that is relevant to Marner is the cap space he takes up, and we should be able to improve our defense and depth with the cap space we already have.
They have said they want to upgrade the D so they clearly have a plan.
Saying you want to upgrade the defense is just a generic statement of want. It isn't a plan of how to actually do it successfully, or an explanation of why it requires removing one of our best players to accomplish.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
The more I think about it, the more I can be talked into a Marner for Askarov + L'hereaux + 1st + package. Drafting both Surin and Solberg to have a bunch of talented assholes in the near future. Then use the salary room to sign Guentzel to replace Marner and add Matt Roy to start rounding out the D.

I really want Weegar but doubt that happens. I'm obsessed with the idea of a right side compromised of Weegar and Roy.
I’m kinda interested in Nash too.
I like Askarov, Heureux, Tomasino, Evangelista, Kemell, Fabbro, Matier, Molendyk. Lots of bonus picks kicking around. For a volume trade, they’re pretty interesting as a match.
Your guentzel suggestion would be a statement move about playoff performance; I’d use the cap on Lindholm personally.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
What’s the fascination with Gibson, he’s no better than Sammy imo……….

Eric Lindos says hi………..

Leafs acquire assets from another team for future considerations, once Marner’s bonus is paid he becomes said considerations……….
Eric Lindros didn't get to choose who drafted him. He just didn't play for the team who drafted him.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008

Eric Lindos says hi………..

Leafs acquire assets from another team for future considerations, once Marner’s bonus is paid he becomes said considerations……….
We can hope McGroarty has the Leafs in his sights and no one else.

I’m still not sure on his status; there’s something about college kids becoming FA if they ‘leave school’ that I’ve seen on HF threads/Reddit…I’m not sure if that’s limited to guys fulfilling their 4 year commitment tho?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
If you really think we’ve been contenders
We objectively were. If you want to have a different definition than the rest of the hockey world, that would require actually stating your criteria, and sticking to it, instead of flipping between contradictory positions to put down the Leafs. In the end, it doesn't matter, because as I noted, all of contenders, playoff teams, and bubble teams trade picks.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
They literately just tried to trade for a goalie lol.
I'm sure they made a mediocre offer like a number of other teams probably did as well. If the Leafs were really serious about wanting to trade for a bona fide number one guy I think we would have heard more about it. Instead, all we generally hear is Larry B. in Winnipeg, or Stolartz in Florida.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Maybe I’m stating the obvious but almost always when players like Marner and Ullmark who have trade protection are involved in trade talks the team acquiring them have an idea about how much it would cost to re-sign them. If the Ducks were to trade for Marner they would probably have talked to his agent already.

It’s all part of the process I’m sure Ottawa isn’t going to trade for 1 year of Ullmark… and Anaheim wouldn’t be trading for 1 year of Marner

“Marner won’t get as much cause he has only 1 year left” yeah guys that really doesn’t happen very often

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I'm sure they made a mediocre offer like a number of other teams probably did as well. If the Leafs were really serious about wanting to trade for a bona fide number one guy I think we would have heard more about it. Instead, all we generally hear is Larry B. in Winnipeg, or Stolartz in Florida.
Leafs made a very comparable offer to the one New Jersey made. Elliotte confirmed this.

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Friedman reported Toronto offered something very similar to what the Devils offered. Pretty safe to assume it was 2024 or 2026 1st round + Timmins, and the Flames wanted Toronto to overpay again. (This is the 3rd time Calgary has tried to make Treliving overpay).

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
We objectively were. If you want to have a different definition than the rest of the hockey world, that would require actually stating your criteria, and sticking to it, instead of flipping between contradictory positions to put down the Leafs. In the end, it doesn't matter, because as I noted, all of contenders, playoff teams, and bubble teams trade picks.

I guess if you just edit enough out of the posts you reply to, it makes it easier to pretend you aren’t making stuff up.

Where’s the list?

Last edited:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

The NHL rumor mill is churning at full speed, and the latest buzz centers on Winnipeg Jets prospect Rutger McGroarty. Whispers from insiders suggest that the Toronto Maple Leafs are keenly interested in acquiring the 20-year-old forward. With McGroarty reportedly seeking a change of scenery, the Leafs appear to be a frontrunner.

What Would the Leafs Have to Give Up?

The big question is, what will it take to pry McGroarty away from the Jets? NHL insider Nick Kypreos, known for his connections within the Leafs organization, has suggested that Toronto might need to part with prospect Fraser Minten and their 2024 first-round draft pick to seal the deal.

This potential trade scenario raises eyebrows and stirs debate among Leafs fans and hockey analysts. Minten, a 2022 second-round pick, has shown promise as a center with a two-way game. Surrendering him and a valuable first-round pick would be a significant gamble for the Leafs.

Reactions: LeafEgo and ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Who didn't think Murray wasn't a terrible idea?

I spent some time in that thread and most of us either didn't know what the hell we were doing or outright hated that trade and wanted heads on spikes
That is what I am saying. Murray was a huge risk. Woll is as well and why I said it would be wise to be "fussed" about it.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Friedman reported Toronto offered something very similar to what the Devils offered. Pretty safe to assume it was 2024 or 2026 1st round + Timmins, and the Flames wanted Toronto to overpay again. (This is the 3rd time Calgary has tried to make Treliving overpay).
Like I said, I'm sure the Leafs, like other teams, tossed out an offer for the sake of making an offer, but if they were really serious about acquiring the guy they would have gone over top of Jersey. I think they will end up signing one of the available backups and giving the job to Woll.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022

The NHL rumor mill is churning at full speed, and the latest buzz centers on Winnipeg Jets prospect Rutger McGroarty. Whispers from insiders suggest that the Toronto Maple Leafs are keenly interested in acquiring the 20-year-old forward. With McGroarty reportedly seeking a change of scenery, the Leafs appear to be a frontrunner.

The big question is, what will it take to pry McGroarty away from the Jets? NHL insider Nick Kypreos, known for his connections within the Leafs organization, has suggested that Toronto might need to part with prospect Fraser Minten and their 2024 first-round draft pick to seal the deal.

This potential trade scenario raises eyebrows and stirs debate among Leafs fans and hockey analysts. Minten, a 2022 second-round pick, has shown promise as a center with a two-way game. Surrendering him and a valuable first-round pick would be a significant gamble for the Leafs.
Dang! That's a lot, but maybe worth it.

Can anyone who has been following McGroarty give us a little summary of his game? What player is he most like? What is his upside?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Eric Lindos says hi………..

Lindros was still drafted and only option was to not sign his contract. He couldn't dictate anything, but did have the leverage of just not playing in the NHL.

Of course Avalanche won that deal anyway due to soft noggin.

Future considerations would be the way to go ... Leafs' pick and future considerations for ...

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Crunch time for Tre, and our Maple Leafs. Chances are high, we will know the direction of this team within the next two weeks. Any trades will probably happen by then, drafting, UFA/RFA signings... it's a big period for the team.

It's pretty hard to predict exactly what is going to happen here, but hopefully we have some big moves....
The next two weeks are the best for the NHL and NBA.
Should be fun locally with both the Raps and Leafs looking to make moves.

Reactions: ToneDog

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Who didn't think Murray wasn't a terrible idea?

I spent some time in that thread and most of us either didn't know what the hell we were doing or outright hated that trade and wanted heads on spikes
Our former GM Dubas who brought him in as answer in net and Sabres general manager Kevyn Adams but Murray invoked his NTC.

BUFFALO, N.Y. — Former Stanley Cup-winning goalie Matt Murray is headed to the Toronto Maple Leafs, with a 3rd-round pick in the 2023 NHL Draft and a 7th-round pick in 2024, with the Ottawa Senators getting future considerations in return.

The Buffalo Sabres were reportedly in talks to take Murray but were unable when he denied waiving a no-trade clause in his contract.

According to TSN's hockey insider Darren Dreger, the Sabres appear to have lucked out on taking Murray off of the Senators' hands after a lack of success.

"The deal between Ottawa and Buffalo would have included the Sens retaining salary and Buffalo flipping the 16th (overall) pick for the 7th (overall pick in the NHL Draft," Dreger posted to his Twitter account.

In fairness to Buffalo's GM case they would have moved up in the 1st round from #16 to #7 overall to take on that albatross of a contract.

I suspect 95% of Leafs Nation fans thought it was a foolish idea, before the trade was even made, let alone the difference in the cost of acquisition afterwards.

Last edited:

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Like I said, I'm sure the Leafs, like other teams, tossed out an offer for the sake of making an offer, but if they were really serious about acquiring the guy they would have gone over top of Jersey. I think they will end up signing one of the available backups and giving the job to Woll.
I mean, you can choose to put the blinders on and not recognize the Leafs got to the point where they offered a 1st round pick for him. I don't think many teams just offer out 1st round picks and players just for the sake of it. They had serious plans to acquire a goalie like Markstrom.

They were smart, refused to overpay for a 35 year old goalie that has two years left on his deal, he's a stopgap at best. But that also tells you Toronto was/is looking for more then one of the FA goalies. Weather they go to plan B and sign one of them is a different story (they probably will now).

It's good to know Leafs are willing to trade a 1st round pick in any trade though, hopefully they can get a solid top 4 d-man or top 6 forward for that. (Joel Farabee is someone I think Toronto should be targeting hard, especially now that Mitchkov is coming over from Russia).

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

They made similar offer than NJ for Markstrom but Markstrom choose to go in NJ unstead of Toronto...making an good offer especially with NMC doesn't mean that will go in your way

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I mean, you can choose to put the blinders on and not recognize the Leafs got to the point where they offered a 1st round pick for him. I don't think many teams just offer out 1st round picks and players just for the sake of it. They had serious plans to acquire a goalie like Markstrom.

They were smart, refused to overpay for a 35 year old goalie that has two years left on his deal, he's a stopgap at best. But that also tells you Toronto was/is looking for more then one of the FA goalies. Weather they go to plan B and sign one of them is a different story (they probably will now).

It's good to know Leafs are willing to trade a 1st round pick in any trade though, hopefully they can get a solid top 4 d-man or top 6 forward for that. (Joel Farabee is someone I think Toronto should be targeting hard, especially now that Mitchkov is coming over from Russia).
I'm not putting blinders on - it's more that my point is slightly different. I don't think the Leafs are willing to bend over backwards to acquire a number one goalie. If one is available at a good price, sure, but I think they will be equally fine going with a backup who can spell Woll.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I guess if you just edit enough out of the posts you really to, it makes it easier to pretend you aren’t making stuff up.
There was nothing else in your post to respond to. You didn't actually counter or address anything we were discussing.
And even your incorrect claim about our status - that you're still avoiding stating your criteria for - missed the fact that more than just contenders trade picks anyway.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Having good defense and depth does not require throwing away our best players. We've already done it, through a much more difficult league and team situation.
And so far, Treliving hasn't shown an ability to improve either, or effectively use cap space.

First-Round Picks​

1. 2019: Traded to Los Angeles Kings
  2. 2020: Traded to Carolina Hurricanes
  3. 2021: Traded to Columbus Blue Jackets
  4. 2022: Traded to Chicago Blackhawks
  5. 2023: Traded to St. Louis Blues
  6. 2025: Traded to Chicago Blackhawks

Second-Round Picks​

1. 2020: Traded to Los Angeles Kings
  2. 2024: Traded to St. Louis Blues
  3. 2026: Traded to Chicago Blackhawks

Third-Round Picks​

1. 2020: Traded to Colorado Avalanche
  2. 2023: Traded to Vancouver Canucks
  3. 2024: Traded to New York Islanders

Fourth-Round Picks​

1. 2025: Traded to St. Louis Blues

Fifth-Round Picks​

1. 2024: Traded to Nashville Predators (conditional)
  2. 2025: Traded to Chicago Blackhawks (conditional)

Is what it required to create some alleged contender.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017

I would do it if true. According to reporters and jets fans, this dude has "Future Captain" written all over him.

Brady Tkachuk and prime David Backes comparable apparently

Reactions: hockeywiz542
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad