GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Even if you were right (you're not), or consistent with that claim (you're not), that wouldn't change that it's not how the league works and your expectations are off.

So Dubas is not smarter than the old dinosaurs? It’s been obvious for years, but I’m glad you can finally admit something negative about your deity.

Results prove me right. You're just ignoring every result except one specific one in this specific instance.

I’m ignoring the meaningless results and focusing on the only one that actually matters. The real results…. Losing early in the playoffs every year…. Those results prove you wrong.

Still no list, eh?

Reactions: Al4tdsBundy

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He's already producing against men, hes 20 points better than Knies at the same age

It hasn't stopped him producing yet

I think they were saying #23 and Minten

I'd easily do that and I desperately want to make that pick 😂

Boys and men ... average age is around 22.

I'm less concerned about the pick, losing a center hurts more than winger.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Boys and men ... average age is around 22.

I'm less concerned about the pick, losing a center hurts more than winger.
The NCAA is a pretty competitive league, a lot of guys are taking that route now

Minten struggled to put up good offensive numbers in junior, if he does make it and that's a big if he probably projects as a Kampf type

Certainly not the worst thing but I'd rather get the guy with the ceiling

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Kind of want the Leafs to make the pick and take a D-man. But 52 points is pretty damn good for a college kid

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I've long been one of the bigger Woll believers, but that contract seems a bit rich for me, given his injury risk. If he finds a way to stay healthy, and continues his strong play, it will be a steal though.
meet the new boss, same as the old boss.............

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
We're talking 3.5M-4M here

That's Samsonov money essentially on a 92M cap

It's a risk but there's plenty of reward and LTIR is something we've been able to weaponize over the years so it wouldn't kill us

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
If people want a NHL comparable for Rutger Mcgroarty....I've heard young David Backes.

David Backes had a pretty solid career if Im not mistaken

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
McGroarty mostly seems to be playing LW in all of the videos. Some are claiming he's a C though, but I can't find any evidence of that.

I prefer to send someone like Robertson, than Minten, if that's the case.... Robertson is a winger, prefer to keep our C, given our lack of depth there. I'm all in for trading for him though.

The difference between good gambles, and bad gambles, are if they work out.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Wouldn’t the old boss would let Woll play really well this year and get stuck paying him 6+?

Not saying this is the right move, but if you’re confident in Woll, waiting means the dollars go up.

Your error is thinking that your unique expectation is "smarter".

Hindsight shows it was smarter. Dubas was supposed to use magic computers to have foresight.

Guess he’s not a genius…..

You're ignoring meaningful results that are critical to that status determination.

Only one meaningful result. Playoff results.

Still no on the list?

Reactions: LeafSteel

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Wouldn’t the old boss would let Woll play really well this year and get stuck paying him 6+?

Not saying this is the right move, but if you’re confident in Woll, waiting means the dollars go up.

Hindsight shows it was smarter. Dubas was supposed to use magic computers to have foresight.

Guess he’s not a genius…..

Only one meaningful result. Playoff results.

Still no on the list?

Shesterkin probably getting 8-9M per

Saros likely 7.5M+

If Woll pans out, could be a nice deal for us.

Reactions: ACC1224

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The NCAA is a pretty competitive league, a lot of guys are taking that route now

Minten struggled to put up good offensive numbers in junior, if he does make it and that's a big if he probably projects as a Kampf type

Certainly not the worst thing but I'd rather get the guy with the ceiling

You talk as if these guys are guaranteed and every year NCAA players don't become NHL players, nor stars.

Reactions: aingefan

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
McGroarty mostly seems to be playing LW in all of the videos. Some are claiming he's a C though, but I can't find any evidence of that.

I prefer to send someone like Robertson, than Minten, if that's the case.... Robertson is a winger, prefer to keep our C, given our lack of depth there. I'm all in for trading for him though.

The difference between good gambles, and bad gambles, are if they work out.

McGroarty seems like a pretty safe bet to be at least a good middle 6 NHL, and potentially better.

I agree that moving Minten with how poor our C depth is wouldn't be ideal. I also think of the trade value guys like Adam Fox, Zach Hyman, etc had when they were in a similar situation, and Minten + 1st seems a little rich.

Really it depends on how many NHL teams McGroarty is willing to sign with. If it's ~5-10+ teams, the price should go up as the Jets can create more of a bidding war.

Reactions: aingefan

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
McGroarty seems like a pretty safe bet to be at least a good middle 6 NHL, and potentially better.

I agree that moving Minten with how poor our C depth is wouldn't be ideal. I also think of the trade value guys like Adam Fox, Zach Hyman, etc had when they were in a similar situation, and Minten + 1st seems a little rich.

Really it depends on how many NHL teams McGroarty is willing to sign with. If it's ~5-10+ teams, the price should go up as the Jets can create more of a bidding war.

I don't see the Leafs going after McGroarty, despite how good he looks and projected to be. As it currently stands, they don't have a deep enough farm system to justify moving the deck chairs around to get him.

I think the Leafs take on more of a value approach this off-season and sign some guys that won't get tendered their RFA qualifying offer on cheap 1 or 2 year deals. There's going to be some names that come up leading up to next Monday that no one expected to be available, but the other team doesn't see a fit. For example, I could see Columbus saying that they won't offer Alex Texier a QO with new management and he would be a perfect fit on the 3rd line for Toronto on a 1 or 2 year deal at 1.25.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Don’t like giving up the two assets for 1 in the first and Minten.

That being said will McGroarty be more selective about his destination? That would impact his value.

I’d do our 1st and Robertson though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad