GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
There was nothing else in your post to respond to. You didn't actually counter or address anything we were discussing.
And even your incorrect claim about our status - that you're still avoiding stating your criteria for - missed the fact that more than just contenders trade picks anyway.

I don’t say non-contenders don’t trade picks. I said they shouldn’t. See, when you edit that part out, you can make stuff up…

So where’s this list I keep hearing about?

Reactions: rumman

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Is what it required to create some alleged contender.
No, that's largely just a misleading list of outgoing picks that a contender utilized to further improve, without context or return.
Though I'm not sure why you're pretending that utilizing assets to create a contender is somehow bad anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: Al4tdsBundy

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I don’t say non-contenders don’t trade picks. I said they shouldn’t.
That would be another position you've been inconsistent with, but regardless, your feelings don't change that it's common practice. Welcome to the NHL.
We have never been real contenders.
Yes, we have. If you have a personal definition that differs from everybody else, you're welcome to share.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
That would be another position you've been inconsistent with, but regardless, your feelings don't change that it's common practice. Welcome to the NHL.

Common practice of making mistakes…. I thought Dubas was supposed to be smarter than these dumb of dinosaur hockey men.

Yes, we have. If you have a personal definition that differs from everybody else, you're welcome to share.

Results prove you wrong.

And where this list?? Is it safe to assume you’ve realized the pool isn’t very good. I guess it’s a lot easier to just vaguely claim it’s good than it is to try to sell people on a specific load of crap…

Fills me with joy that we basically went scorched earth on most of our assets to build a team that never won more than 5 playoff games.

The first few years, I can understand how Dubas was fooled. After that? That’s just plain stupid.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Woll extension incoming according to Kevin Weekes. $3.5-4M x 3 years.
Yuck, too much for a guy with 39 NHL games and gets injured on innocent plays. $1m more than Ned who has 141 NHL games. Rather use that money for a UFA like Stolarz.

If it goes through, Tre appears to be a worse negotiator than Dubas.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Solid deal. I feel comfortable with Woll in net. Just needs to stay healthy

How much cap-space are we working with now?
Too rich and risky for me. We are f***ed if this guy breaks down again this year and then the contract kicks in.

We have never been real contenders. The proof is in the results.
I believe the term is "pretenders".

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Fills me with joy that we basically went scorched earth on most of our assets to build a team that never won more than 5 playoff games.
You should clarify ... in a single season.

Anyway, they hired a NHL coach who has won more than 5 games in a single season, and replaced the coach who had never won more than 5 games in a single season.

Leadership at the top can make a huge difference.
Perhaps a better relationship with the refs?

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Hopefully a Knies extension is announced soon as well. Would love to get him locked up 4-6 years.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Dang! That's a lot, but maybe worth it.

Can anyone who has been following McGroarty give us a little summary of his game? What player is he most like? What is his upside?
Mentions skating concerns

weems

Jul 3, 2008

His skating has always been the concern.
I'd say he's a very good prospect but not in the category where it's close to a lock he becomes a top flight NHL'er.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
His skating has always been the concern.
I'd say he's a very good prospect but not in the category where it's close to a lock he becomes a top flight NHL'er.

Power forward who had 52 points in the NCAA last season who projects to be a 2-way #2C and is 20 years old whos ECL hasn't started ticking yet

It's a pretty attractive package

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Power forward who had 52 points in the NCAA last season who projects to be a 2-way #2C and is 20 years old whos ECL hasn't started ticking yet

It's a pretty attractive package

Didn't say there isn't a ton of upside and I actually like the intensity and playstyle he plays with just that there is real concern about his skating and mobility and how that will translate at the NHL level.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I've long been one of the bigger Woll believers, but that contract seems a bit rich for me, given his injury risk. If he finds a way to stay healthy, and continues his strong play, it will be a steal though.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

“The true definition of a power forward, McGroarty can utilize his large, powerful frame to muscle defenders off the puck, while at the same time regain possession and dish the puck off to a teammate. He is quite talented at making defenders commit turnovers in their own zone and has the skill and knowledge to make them pay the price for it…McGroarty has quite impressive vision on the ice, especially in the offensive zone when it comes to making plays. Often, he’s able to hit a teammate with a seam pass for a tap in goal, which many other players wouldn’t have the skill or gall to attempt. He’s able to do it while oozing confidence and is usually rewarded with a primary assist.” – Paul Zuk, Smaht Scouting

The key elements of McGroarty’s game are his hockey sense, shot, and compete level. He is projected as a forward who can win battles along the walls, play heavy, and score in the dirty areas. His detractors claim his skating is his most glaring drawback, but he has shown marked improvement in that area of his game as his development has progressed.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Didn't say there isn't a ton of upside and I actually like the intensity and playstyle he plays with just that there is real concern about his skating and mobility and how that will translate at the NHL level.

He's already producing against men, hes 20 points better than Knies at the same age

It hasn't stopped him producing yet
Definite interest, it is always about cost.

23rd. over and Robertson ... sure.

I think they were saying #23 and Minten

I'd easily do that and I desperately want to make that pick 😂

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Common practice of making mistakes…
Even if you were right (you're not), or consistent with that claim (you're not), that still wouldn't change that it's not how things work in this league, and your expectations are off.
Results prove you wrong.
Results prove me right. You're just ignoring every result except one specific one in this one specific instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad