GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
And then what. Give him $100m or let him walk for free?

The ball isn't just in marner's court, he owns the ball and the court.

If he wants to walk he walks.

It's like being drafted, the player can't say, "Sorry you can't draft me. I get to chose who drafts me."

Team owns his rights for 2 year and if unsigned he goes back in the draft unless in NCAA, in which case he has to wait another 2 years to decide who he wants to join.

There are times when the player has no rights, and then times when player has all the rights.

Fan's wishful fantasies change nothng.

If / when he walks Leafs get $11mm in cap space to use.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
marner can't be extended untili July 1st.

I'm sure Anaheim would do Leafs 1st. 2024, 1st. in 2026, 1st. in 2027, 1st. in 2028 for Gibson and 3rd. OA.

And then in July trade those picks back to Toronto for an extended marner.

Right?
Can they do that? lol

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Have to have some trust there ... in order to get a 2024 pick they'd need to be creative.

Who knows maybe Ducks GM is fired before July 1st. roles around then the deal is off and they keep the 4 first/picks and Leafs keep marner.

I would assume asking Marner to waive would also come with a relative assurance he would extend in Anaheim

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Have to have some trust there ... in order to get a 2024 pick they'd need to be creative.

Who knows maybe Ducks GM is fired before July 1st. roles around then the deal is off and they keep the 4 first/picks and Leafs keep marner.
That would be such a Leafy thing

• Haha
Reactions: ULF_55

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Pretty equally unlikely.

There have been many years when the team was worth it. Our pre-deadline 2022-2023 team was objectively better than both our pre and post deadline 2023-2024 teams, despite permanently losing a core member in-season in 2022-2023. Our pre-deadline 2021-2022 and 2020-2021 teams were also better.

The only one who has done that is you. You continue to do it in this interaction.

We didn't. You won't even admit that you were wrong about 5 being bad.

111-115 point Contenders, though even playoff and bubble teams do it too.

I guess the old saying that it’s easier to fool somebody than to convince them that they’ve been fooled is true. If you really think we’ve been contenders - even with all the proof to contrary - then you are beyond reason.

And I’m still waiting for your list… it must be really long, since you’ve been working on it through like 7 responses now!

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I guess the old saying that it’s easier to fool somebody than to convince them that they’ve been fooled is true. If you really think we’ve been contenders - even with all the proof to contrary - then you are beyond reason.

And I’m still waiting for your list… it must be really long, since you’ve been working on it through like 7 responses now!
To be fair, we are contender for making the playoffs, lol.

That would be a huge return. I like it!
Well despite being a choker in playoffs, he is a very talented player.
TO me, it is a fair deal.

Reactions: Dreakmur

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

It's like being drafted, the player can't say, "Sorry you can't draft me. I get to chose who drafts me."

Team owns his rights for 2 year and if unsigned he goes back in the draft unless in NCAA, in which case he has to wait another 2 years to decide who he wants to join.

There are times when the player has no rights, and then times when player has all the rights.

I'm guessing Mitch will do what is best for Mitch. No surprise there.

Reactions: ULF_55

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I'd be happy if we iced something like this

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Robertson/Cowan-Tavares-Nylander
McMann-Colton-Jarknork
Dewar-Holmberg-Reaves

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Roy
Benoit- (Insert League Min PP merchant)

Woll
Broissoit

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I'd be happy if we iced something like this

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Robertson/Cowan-Tavares-Nylander
McMann-Colton-Jarknork
Dewar-Holmberg-Reaves

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Roy
Benoit- (Insert League Min PP merchant)

Woll
Broissoit
Would be better if it is like this

Bert-AM-Marchessault
Knies-Domi-Willie
McMann-Colton-Toffoli
Dewar-Holmberg-Reaves
Robbie

Reilly-Parayko
McCabe-Roy
Beniot-Lilly
Gio-Kling

Binnington
Woll

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Lots of smoke around Broissart. Not at the top of my list. Bruins and Flames will want an overpay to trade with the Leafs. Ullmark might waive to come here but I'm guessing he is not an option.

Until Woll shows he can stay healthy, it would be wise to be fussed IMO. Remember Matt Murray?
Who didn't think Murray wasn't a terrible idea?

I spent some time in that thread and most of us either didn't know what the hell we were doing or outright hated that trade and wanted heads on spikes

Reactions: Jmo89

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Who didn't think Murray wasn't a terrible idea?

I spent some time in that thread and most of us either didn't know what the hell we were doing or outright hated that trade and wanted heads on spikes
Yep and in Nov that year when Murray was really good, we were reminded that we should trust the MGT, lol.

It was a dumb deal to begin with, esp since the package we received was underwhelming to say the least.

Reactions: Kiwi

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Would be better if it is like this

Bert-AM-Marchessault
Knies-Domi-Willie
McMann-Colton-Toffoli
Dewar-Holmberg-Reaves
Robbie

Reilly-Parayko
McCabe-Roy
Beniot-Lilly
Gio-Kling

Binnington
Woll

Or

Max Domi - Auston Matthews - Tyler Bertuzzi
Matthew Knies - Jack Drury - William Nylander
Easton Cowan - John Tavares - Calle Jarnkrok
Pontus Holmberg - David Kampf - Bobby McMann
Ryan Reaves

Morgan Rielly - Dylan Demelo
Jake McCabe - Colton Parayko
Simon Benoit - Alexandre Carrier
Cade Webber

Jordan Binnington
Joseph Woll

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
One buy low candidate I could see is Tanner Pearson. Can kill penalties and play up and down the lineup with a bit more size. Was lost in the horrible Montreal forward group last year.
Might get him around a million to rebuild his rep.

I also can’t see much competition for Broissault or Stolarz. Any team looking for a goalie left are looking for a more established starter type rather than a backup with upside.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
The more I think about it, the more I can be talked into a Marner for Askarov + L'hereaux + 1st + package. Drafting both Surin and Solberg to have a bunch of talented assholes in the near future. Then use the salary room to sign Guentzel to replace Marner and add Matt Roy to start rounding out the D.

I really want Weegar but doubt that happens. I'm obsessed with the idea of a right side compromised of Weegar and Roy.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I wonder if Winnipeg would consider something around #23, Minten, Robertson, one of our 5ths for McGroarty and their 2nd round pick?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Marner (extended) for Gibson + 3rd OA

;)
What’s the fascination with Gibson, he’s no better than Sammy imo……….

Eric Lindos says hi………..

marner can't be extended untili July 1st.

I'm sure Anaheim would do Leafs 1st. 2024, 1st. in 2026, 1st. in 2027, 1st. in 2028 for Gibson and 3rd. OA.

And then in July trade those picks back to Toronto for an extended marner.

Right?
Leafs acquire assets from another team for future considerations, once Marner’s bonus is paid he becomes said considerations……….

Reactions: LeafSteel

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
The more I think about it, the more I can be talked into a Marner for Askarov + L'hereaux + 1st + package. Drafting both Surin and Solberg to have a bunch of talented assholes in the near future. Then use the salary room to sign Guentzel to replace Marner and add Matt Roy to start rounding out the D.

I really want Weegar but doubt that happens. I'm obsessed with the idea of a right side compromised of Weegar and Roy.
I'd be intrigued by getting Fabbro in a package from Nashville as well.

Reactions: 40BayStreet

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Crunch time for Tre, and our Maple Leafs. Chances are high, we will know the direction of this team within the next two weeks. Any trades will probably happen by then, drafting, UFA/RFA signings... it's a big period for the team.

It's pretty hard to predict exactly what is going to happen here, but hopefully we have some big moves....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad