GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I love how the second a trade comes up Dreger is like “ohh no no no that’s not happening, remember guys Mitch is in control here, he negotiated that NMC in good faith” shut up Darren.

God forbid a team tries to make a trade on a guy with a NMC
Sounds like he's just keeping it real.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
So we’re changing topics now? Ok, on to the veterans that Tre brought in…. They led the team in playoff scoring…
You already changed the topic. None of this is related to the original discussion. Matthews was our best producer, and Nylander was our best goal-scorer in the playoffs. Knies alone scored as many goals as every single player Treliving brought in. You can try to point at some nothing secondary assists leeched off of our superstars if you want, to talk up a production level you've previously criticized, but we both know that there was nothing impressive about the offensive performance of any of Treliving's additions, before even getting into the damaging lack of discipline and the horrific defensive play.
When you’re listing a 25 year old 4th liners, and trying to claim 27 year old 4th liners, that’s very indicative of the strength of the pool.
I didn't list anybody, and putting aside your poor representation of those two, most of the strength of the pool is 19-22 year olds.
If we had better young guys, that would have been great….
We had good young guys. What we didn't have was a good GM to surround them (or, from the perspective you're choosing, get better players for those roles).

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
2nd best, and there's a fairly big drop off after him too.
The Nylander overpay is going to be the biggest obstacle that will need to be overcome.

As a better player Marner, who's already overpaid, deserves more than Nylander, that's going to be tough to navigate.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
12.5M x 8 is one of the highest contracts in the history of the game. It would be an astonishing decision to give it to the 3rd best player on the team
There are currently only 3 X NHL Players making $12.5 mil or more.

1718984845165.png

One is Leafs multi Rocket Richard winner Matthews coming off 70 goal season, the other is McDavid the best player in the World and the 3rd in MacKinnon coming off winning a Stanley Cup for Avs.

Who in their right mind believes Marner should be included in this group as his comparables, who has never hit 100 point season and has 11 goals over the course of 8 playoff seasons.

How can anybody be thinking 8 years X $12.5 is fair market value for Marner? . Let him walk and see how many GM are lining up to overpay him...

I just hope our Leafs don't get cornered into overpaying thinking that's better than losing him for FREE, because the Leafs will go another rabbit whole of TOO MUCH Cap in TOO Few players and take themselves out Cup competitiveness.

Last edited:
Reactions: PromisedLand

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I love how the second a trade comes up Dreger is like “ohh no no no that’s not happening, remember guys Mitch is in control here, he negotiated that NMC in good faith” shut up Darren.

God forbid a team tries to make a trade on a guy with a NMC

Yeah. Like a little extra thinking might be in order here.

How is Mitch actually in control when:

-His current contract lasts one more season.
-Not in control of ice time, deployment and linemates impacting the quality of his numbers.
-Possibly not in the plans of the team he wants to stay with.
-Unknown market place and negotiating partners in the league.

And how are the Leafs not in control to some degree?

-Desire for change.
-$10.9 million in free cap space automatically should no action be taken?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Reinhart's season was an aberration, and whoever pays him based on his 57 goals is going to regret it.
Yep. GMs know that doing something once in unsustainable ways is very, very different from doing something consistently. This guy had 67 points last year.
Marner will be paid more because he's a better player, not because of Dreger.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Yeah. Like a little extra thinking might be in order here.

How is Mitch actually in control when:

-His current contract lasts one more season.
-Not in control of ice time, deployment and linemates impacting the quality of his numbers.
-Possibly not in the plans of the team he wants to stay with.
-Unknown market place and negotiating partners in the league.

And how are the Leafs not in control to some degree?

-Desire for change.
-$10.9 million in free cap space automatically should no action be taken?
He controls his NMC, simple as that.

I'm sure that quote from Dreger was overdramatized.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Nylander overpay is going to be the biggest obstacle that will need to be overcome.

As a better player Marner, who's already overpaid, deserves more than Nylander, that's going to be tough to navigate.

Nylander’s overpay just replaces Marner’s current overpay, and on the face of it he’s a 99 point winger just like Marner, albeit taking a different route to get there.

The only way it really hurts Toronto is if we continue down this pseudo sibling rivalry between Mitch and Willie like each one has to get a little more than the other.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Nylander’s overpay just replaces Marner’s current overpay, and on the face of it he’s a 99 point winger just like Marner, albeit taking a different route to get there.

The only way it really hurts Toronto is if we continue down this pseudo sibling rivalry between Mitch and Willie like each one has to get a little more than the other.
There has always been a hierarchy amongst players, nothing unique here.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He controls his NMC, simple as that.

Worst case scenario, it’s a 1 year hostage situation and it’s all over anyway. If the Leafs want to move on from Mitch, and it’s unclear if they have any appetite for reform, it’s an automatic.

A number of things could go wrong for Mitch next year and he could have a Huberdeau type season without the golden parachute for all we know.

Reactions: ACC1224

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
12.5M x 8 is one of the highest contracts in the history of the game. It would be an astonishing decision to give it to the 3rd best player on the team
Marner is the 2nd best player on the team, and a 14.2% UFA contract is far, far, far from one of the highest contracts in the history of the game.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Worst case scenario, it’s a 1 year hostage situation and it’s all over anyway. If the Leafs want to move on from Mitch, and it’s unclear if they have any appetite for reform, it’s an automatic.

A number of things could go wrong for Mitch next year and he could have a Huberdeau type season without the golden parachute for all we know.
Sure, but he still controls things this year with his NMC. Isn't that all that Dreger said? Not sure why that's something to lose our minds over.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Depends on what role you are giving the new guys.

Montour doesn't PK, but played most even strength minutes regular season, but is 2nd. pairing in the playoffs. He looks like what you use for offense, not defense.

Take Rielly off the PP1, for Montour, but I'm not sure he'd be best use of Cap.

OEL, seemed to rejuvenate his career there, or perhaps he wasn't employed properly in Vancouver? He's UFA, and this year he was cheap. I don't see him signing a deal like that again.

View attachment 885125

That's an interesting list, I do wonder if you can come out of this UfA period without wildly overpaying somebody

Myers has had a good few years in Vancouver, what's he worth for a couple of years?

Lyubushkin plays well with Rielly, can we get him for bottom pair money playing 17-18 minutes a night?

What about Schultz for some cheap puck moving?

I think we're going to have to go big for one guy but it would really help if we could save a little on the 2nd guy, center is still an issue

Reactions: aingefan

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
There has always been a hierarchy amongst players, nothing unique here.

Mitch’s whole problem in Toronto is he played the hierarchy game a little too publicly and loudly, wanting to be on the 1st overall, franchise silver back level the Leafs put Matthews on, while basically being a Kessel level beta forward.

There’s no shame in being a 90 point forward behind a franchise forward but when you’re asking for Nathan Mackinnon money and playing Johnny Gaudreau hockey, that’s how you get run out of your own home town.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Mitch’s whole problem in Toronto is he played the hierarchy game a little too publicly and loudly, wanting to be on the 1st overall, franchise silver back level the Leafs put Matthews on, while basically being a Kessel level beta forward.

There’s no shame in being a 90 point forward behind a franchise forward but when you’re asking for Nathan Mackinnon money and playing Johnny Gaudreau hockey, that’s how you get run out of your own home town.
No doubt it could have been handled better.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sure, but he still controls things this year with his NMC. Isn't that all that Dreger said? Not sure why that's something to lose our minds over.

Again. Dreger is just providing superficial, player friendly commentary. If Dreger finished the thought he would say, but the NMC is for one year and the player is incurring risk to future earnings via injury, performance or both and has limited control on where he can go. Look at John Klingberg. He was looking to be a $9 million defenseman. Spurned Dallas, went into a prove it year in Anaheim and his career is basically over.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Again. Dreger is just providing superficial, player friendly commentary. If Dreger finished the thought he would say, but the NMC is for one year and the player is incurring risk to future earnings via injury, performance or both and has limited control on where he can go. Look at John Klingberg. He was looking to be a $9 million defenseman. Spurned Dallas, went into a prove it year in Anaheim and his career is basically over.
Sounds like you're hearing what you want to hear. I don't listen to any of them so I have no idea what was said doesn't sound player friendly to me, but I doubt very much it's whats been posted here.
Why even listen if you find it so distasteful?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Again. Dreger is just providing superficial, player friendly commentary. If Dreger finished the thought he would say, but the NMC is for one year and the player is incurring risk to future earnings via injury, performance or both and has limited control on where he can go.
Marner isn't really risking anything, outside of a career-ending injury. If Toronto screws this up, he'll have plenty of options of where to go as a UFA, and he'll get paid.
Media people stir drama in Toronto because it generates discussion like this. But it doesn't even really seem like he's wrong this time.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I didn't realize Mayfield was getting $3.5M now.

He's a good defenseman. I think he would look good alongside Benoit. Price is a bit steep for a bottom pairing defenseman though.

But I can definitely see why the attraction.
Mayfield is a perfect fit for what the Leafs are looking for Big, Mean and mobile and he is a RH shot to boot always more valuable then LHD.

1718986868929.png

The NHL Entry Draft and free agency are just over a week away and the Leafs and GM Brad Treliving are expected to make a fairly substantial splash, particularly on the blueline.
Both Treliving and new head coach Craig Berube prefer big, long, physical defensemen which is something the Leafs don't have much of, if at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad