GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sounds like you're hearing what you want to hear. I don't listen to any of them so I have no idea what was said doesn't sound player friendly to me, but I doubt very much it's whats been posted here.
Why even listen if you find it so distasteful?

The Leafs are basically a distasteful soap opera at this point, probably why I can’t get enough of it.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
If the Ross Colton Rumors are true....I think this is an ideal fit and target for Treliving. Exact type of player he would covet to add to this group

A goal scorer who forechecks hard, has some grit to his game and is still fairly young (27 yrs old). Not to mention a Center

I would use Jarnkrok, Robertson, Liljegren, and Holmberg as pieces to get a deal done.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
You already changed the topic. None of this is related to the original discussion.

The original post was specifically about the young guys. You've apparently realized you can't make a case, and now tried another topic.

Matthews was our best producer

Glad Lou acquired him.

, and Nylander was our best goal-scorer in the playoffs

Glad Nonis acquired him,

Knies alone scored as many goals as every single player Treliving brought in.

Knies had a good play-off. He's the only Dubas guy that did.

You can try to point at some nothing secondary assists leeched off of our superstars if you want, to talk up a production level you've previously criticized, but we both know that there was nothing impressive about the offensive performance of any of Treliving's additions, before even getting into the damaging lack of discipline and the horrific defensive play.

Secondary assists are only meaningful when we're trying to pretend Marner is a playoff producer, right?

I didn't list anybody, and putting aside your poor representation of those two, most of the strength of the pool is 19-22 year olds.

Not in this particular chain, but you have absolutely listed guys.

We had good young guys.

Who?

What we didn't have was a good GM to surround them (or, from the perspective you're choosing, get better players for those roles).

If only our crappy new GM would have acquired a 10 million dollar defenseman and then missed the playoffs. And also signed a crappy goalie to a huge contract that may get bought out summer! If he did those things, he'd be a good GM...

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Marner isn't really risking anything, outside of a career-ending injury. If Toronto screws this up, he'll have plenty of options of where to go as a UFA, and he'll get paid.
Media people stir drama in Toronto because it generates discussion like this. But it doesn't even really seem like he's wrong this time.

And what, Toronto is up the creek with $10.9 million in free cap ($21.9 million including JT) with Draisaitl, Rantanen and Shesterkin hitting free agency the same day? Anything can happen and many UFAs with re-sign with their teams but if the Leafs wanted to delete the Marner cap July 2024, it’s happening anyway July 2025.

Reactions: Pinto and LeafSteel

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Bertuzzi - Mathews - Domi
Knies - Tavares - Marner
McMann - Colton - Nylander
Trenin - Dewar - Reaves / Marlie

Reactions: Smif

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If the Ross Colton Rumors are true....I think this is an ideal fit and target for Treliving. Exact type of player he would covet to add to this group

A goal scorer who forechecks hard, has some grit to his game and is still fairly young (27 yrs old). Not to mention a Center

I would use Jarnkrok, Robertson, Liljegren, and Holmberg as pieces to get a deal done.

He’s a Kerfoot with a personality. Punchable face, scrappy and exactly the kind of player and experience we need.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Depends on what role you are giving the new guys.

Montour doesn't PK, but played most even strength minutes regular season, but is 2nd. pairing in the playoffs. He looks like what you use for offense, not defense.

Take Rielly off the PP1, for Montour, but I'm not sure he'd be best use of Cap.

OEL, seemed to rejuvenate his career there, or perhaps he wasn't employed properly in Vancouver? He's UFA, and this year he was cheap. I don't see him signing a deal like that again.

View attachment 885125

OEL is actually in a 3rd pair...much easier than playing on top pair against toughest matchup like he did in Vancouver

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Here is the current list of NHL forwards making between $9 mil and less then $10 mil AAV.

Players like Kucherov, Aho, Tkachuk, Rantanen, Point, Stone, Barzal & Kaprizov etc. This is the group Marner should be grouped in with contract wise.

1718988204202.png

Marner's next contract should be 8 years @ $9.5 mil AAV which = a pay-cut of nearly $1.5 mil per year to bring him in-line with his comparable group of forwards.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Yeah seems like a great fit. Not sure we should be spending assets on another forward but this would solidify the top 9 quite well.

Reactions: OVO16

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Here is the current list of NHL forwards making between $9 mil and less then $10 mil AAV.

Players like Kucherov, Aho, Tkachuk, Rantanen, Point, Stone, Barzal & Kaprizov etc. This is the group Marner should be grouped in with contract wise.

View attachment 885191

Marner's next contract should be 8 years @ $9.5 mil AAV which = a pay-cut of nearly $1.5 mil per year to bring him in-line with his comparable group of forwards.
and realistically for a pay cut you'll have to get term and Leafs are the only team that can offer that 8 years. Don't see it though, you can't pay Nylander and then turn around and expect Marner to take less even with term. It's been a f***ing mess since the JT contract

Reactions: Captain34

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

View attachment 885191

Sure, if Marner signed his contract 5 years ago except for the fact that he is arguably better than every other player on that list
some may score more, but, none have the 2-way game Marner does.
I'd take Rantannen for his size and goal scoring, or Point for his goal scoring and being a C
the rest are not nearly as good (Tkachuck is a different animal though)

• Haha
Reactions: JKG33

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014

We should've went for him last summer in the first place, only costed the Avs a 2nd

The price should be similar this year, though his contract may make a deal tough for us (4 million)

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
The Nylander overpay is going to be the biggest obstacle that will need to be overcome.

As a better player Marner, who's already overpaid, deserves more than Nylander, that's going to be tough to navigate.
William was underpaid for years whilst Marner was overpaid for years. Time to switch otherwise he can play elsewhere. Not worth a penny more than his current contract and realistically not even that.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sure, if Marner signed his contract 5 years ago except for the fact that he is arguably better than every other player on that list
some may score more, but, none have the 2-way game Marner does.
I'd take Rantannen for his size and goal scoring, or Point for his goal scoring and being a C
the rest are not nearly as good (Tkachuck is a different animal though)
Here are the playoff points of those same players in that range for the past 6 playoff years combined.

1718990836351.png

Marner seriously better than almost anyone on that list? Seriously ?????

1718991167653.png

Mitch is not even in the top 50 playoff scorers the past 6 years combined. Yet he wants or expects a top 3-4 Salary at $12.5 mil per :help::help:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
William was underpaid for years whilst Marner was overpaid for years. Time to switch otherwise he can play elsewhere. Not worth a penny more than his current contract and realistically not even that.
I’d prefer they just not overpay anyone at any time

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The original post was specifically about the young guys.
The original post was about playing kids, there being more kids to play now, and the worse ways we've surrounded them. You haven't really responded to anything. You've largely just dumped on our kids, pretended that having more internal depth is bad, and praised Treliving for his failures.
Glad Lou acquired him.
Glad Nonis acquired him,
Yes, I am certainly glad that we didn't screw up pretty obvious 1st and 8th overall picks. And glad Dubas re-signed them.
Knies had a good play-off. He's the only Dubas guy that did.
Not true, and already more than Treliving had.
Secondary assists are only meaningful when we're trying to pretend Marner is a playoff producer, right?
Not sure what Marner has to do with this, but Marner is an excellent primary point producer, and 100% of Marner's playoff points this year were primary. In fact, among our core forwards through the Matthews era, Nylander's playoff points are most skewed towards secondary assists.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
And what, Toronto is up the creek with $10.9 million in free cap ($21.9 million including JT) with Draisaitl, Rantanen and Shesterkin hitting free agency the same day? Anything can happen and many UFAs with re-sign with their teams but if the Leafs wanted to delete the Marner cap July 2024, it’s happening anyway July 2025.
10.9m in cap space is not nearly the prize that some pretend it is, especially when it would most likely get wasted or bring back lesser overall impact, and not go towards those other superstars. The only real way that Marner loses is a career-ending injury. There are many, many ways that Toronto loses in this. The risk for Marner is much smaller.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Here are the playoff points of those same players in that range for the past 6 playoff years combined.

View attachment 885212

Marner seriously better than almost anyone on that list? Seriously ?????

View attachment 885215

Mitch is not even in the top 50 playoff scorers the past 6 years combined. Yet he wants or expects a top 3-4 Salary at $12.5 mil per :help::help:
Matthews is right there with him but nobody's ready for that conversation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad