GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
middle 6 center might be to expensive probably more of a third line center in Wennberg mold.

current lineup don't worry about lines just naming players. current cap hit of 66.044 million meaning we have just under 22 million to spend. and yes I demoted Reaves/Timmins as they shouldn't get in the way of acquiring talent.

Knies Matthews Marner
McMann Tavares Nylander
****** ****** Jarnkrok
Holmberg Kampf ******

Rielly ******
Benoit McCabe

Woll
if you sign Robertson and 2 league min goalies for around 1 million each(1 minors and 1 on the leafs) and Cowen makes the team that leaves 19 million roughly to re-sign Liljegren, sign that center and two top 4 Dmen so if Liljegren comes in @ 3 million and you can find a good third line center for 4 million it would leave 12 million for 2 top 4 Dmen. maybe I'm being optimistic with the numbers but I could see it being possible.

but also this is why I think you trade for a top 4 Dmen and sign one. if you trade for a Dmen with one year left on his deal

I don't think you can cheap out on both the goalies like that, Woll is still questionable fitness wise so I think you need a decent #2G like Talbot or Brossoit to pair with him so that's 2-3M

You also need to carry a couple of extra bodies as spares as well imo so there's another couple of Million

I like the Wennberg idea but I'd be looking to go UFA for one defenseman and look trade for another, I'd be calling on Provorov, Chychrun types

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I don't think you can cheap out on both the goalies like that, Woll is still questionable fitness wise so I think you need a decent #2G like Talbot or Brossoit to pair with him so that's 2-3M

You also need to carry a couple of extra bodies as spares as well imo so there's another couple of Million

I like the Wennberg idea but I'd be looking to go UFA for one defenseman and look trade for another, I'd be calling on Provorov, Chychrun types

thing is teams are rarely healthy through out the season so soon as someone gets hurt you then have the cap space for those extra bodies, and probably someone in camp even gets hurt where you could have a couple vets on league min salary both on forward and Defense. again would prefer to put the best 20 guys on the ice and today players are not really taken in and out unless an injury occurs so don't see the point to carrying 21-22 guys. but you could always move McCabe to a top 4 role and trade Liljegren and find a decent bottom pair guy for league min and save 2 million there on my numbers. so there are other options.

I believe in Woll as a goalie in terms of him being good I get the health concerns but he's played well the last two years minus coming back from injury for a few games which is not a surprise on a ankle sprain plus only getting 4 games in a month or w/e it was. but this is why I sign two veteran's because at some point in the year both guys will probably play well similar to Jones this year. so you can have the better guy up and this also gives you an opportunity to give Hildeby a couple of games even if neither goalie gets hurt.

in my Scenario if you trade for Provorov as an example and Sign Skjei to 7 million thats 11.75 million. maybe Skjei will get more I don't know. but it would leave you with 10 million to fill out the remaining 5 spots on the 20 man roster.

Edit: I will also say that if we had to go cheaper on the center in order to afford the two top 4 guys I would prefer that aswell.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
So we specifically want a soft 30-point guy who can't win face-offs?

He's barely an offensive upgrade on David Kampf....
I don't care about offense we were the 2nd highest scoring team in the league. I care more about the third line center being defensively responsible and a quality pk guy, we were one of the worst PK's in the league last year that's what I'm trying to improve. using the 3rd line center. hopefully be able to chip in 30-40 points I was just using Wennberg as a guy whose a UFA in that type of mold

Last edited:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I don't care about offense we were the 2nd highest scoring team in the league. I care more about the third line center being defensively responsible and a quality pk guy, we were one of the worst PK's in the league last year that's what I'm trying to improve. using the 3rd line center.

Then use Kampf as the 3rd line C. He's better than Wennberg in just about every way, and he'll be cheaper.

Reactions: Duffman955

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Then use Kampf as the 3rd line C. He's better than Wennberg in just about every way, and he'll be cheaper.

then we still need another guy on that level. whether he's the 4th line center or 3rd I don't care just saying we need a defensively responsible, quality PK guy for that role as were severely lacking in that area. and Dewar is not good enough nor is Holmberg

• Haha
Reactions: Frostitute

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
then we still need another guy on that level. whether he's the 4th line center or 3rd I don't care just saying we need a defensively responsible, quality PK guy for that role as were severely lacking in that area. and Dewar is not good enough nor is Holmberg

Even if we do need that, Wennberg is a bad idea.

Reactions: Duffman955

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Even if we do need that, Wennberg is a bad idea.

I mean he just finished playing third line center for NYR who made it to the conference finals but I was just using him as an example even if he isn't on your list thats fine I'm looking for a 30-40 point guy who is good defensively and on the PK, that's what I'm looking for from the center I would be looking to add

Reactions: aingefan

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I mean he just finished playing third line center for NYR who made it to the conference finals but I was just using him as an example even if he isn't on your list thats fine I'm looking for a 30-40 point guy who is good defensively and on the PK, that's what I'm looking for from the center I would be looking to add

Kerfoot?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Not even close.

Marleau was a 37 point player his last season with the Leafs.
Tavares had 29 goals and 65 points.

If you're talking about Cap Hit, after July 1st. he's minimum wage, less than a $1mm.
Leafs could retain half if there was any reason to.

Of course, he isn't waiving so this is just mental gymnastics.
I’m not comparing players, I’m comparing situation.
We were so desperate to move Marleau to overpay guys, don’t be desperate to move Tavares, possibly retaining, to overpay guys like Bertuzzi and Domi or a D on a downward trend. Then overpay Marner again next year.

Just ride it out instead of making things worse. That was 3rd year Marleau. We could have chosen not to overpay or give up a first or whatever. Don’t make it worse.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I’m not comparing players, I’m comparing situation.
We were so desperate to move Marleau to overpay guys, don’t be desperate to move Tavares, possibly retaining, to overpay guys like Bertuzzi and Domi or a D on a downward trend. Then overpay Marner again next year.

Just ride it out instead of making things worse. That was 3rd year Marleau. We could have chosen not to overpay or give up a first or whatever. Don’t make it worse.
In that case I agree.

Just ride it out.

Take the $22mm in Capspace for 2025-2026 ...

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
He's one of the few guys who may get a contract that isn't God awful the day it's signed

There's a salary cap, we can't spend top dollar on every hole on the roster

Unless you think he’s going to sign in the low 2 million range, that contract will be awful the day it’s signed. He’d good defensively, but that’s all he brings.

His offense is borderline replacement player level. 25 points in 61 games in Seattle… playing almost 19 minutes a night…. With decent wingers…. And significant powerplay time. David Kampf in that same role probably puts up more points.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Unless you think he’s going to sign in the low 2 million range, that contract will be awful the day it’s signed. He’d good defensively, but that’s all he brings.

His offense is borderline replacement player level. 25 points in 61 games in Seattle… playing almost 19 minutes a night…. With decent wingers…. And significant powerplay time. David Kampf in that same role probably puts up more points.

He scores at about half a point per game over his career and can play special teams, he can also center a matchup defensive line

So no, he's not Kampf

Reactions: Frostitute

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
He scores at about half a point per game over his career and can play special teams, he can also center a matchup defensive line

So no, he's not Kampf

Over the last 3 years, Wennberg has put up 82 points at even strength. Kampf has put up 65. Considering the differences in ice times and linemates, I’m not sure which one is actually better production.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Over the last 3 years, Wennberg has put up 82 points at even strength. Kampf has put up 65. Considering the differences in ice times and linemates, I’m not sure which one is actually better production.

On an expansion team, he also put up about half a point per game in Columbus

Not exactly power houses

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Playing like 19 minutes a game with Oliver Bjorkstrand and Jaden Schwartz is more conducive to putting up points than Kampf’s situation.
He's a middle 6 center that's good for about 40 points a season, that's a lot better than what we have been getting

After watching our PP crash and burn I'm not holding the ability to score on special teams against anybody either

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
He's a middle 6 center that's good for about 40 points a season, that's a lot better than what we have been getting

After watching our PP crash and burn I'm not holding the ability to score on special teams against anybody either

40 points playing second line minutes, with second line linemates, with second line powerplay time…. Won’t be 40 when you reduce him to third line minutes with third line linemates.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021

NHL Announces Salary Cap For 2024-25 Season

June 8, 2024

The NHL and NHLPA have announced the Team Payroll Range for the 2024-25 season. The salary cap upper limit has been set at $88MM, with a midpoint of $76.5MM and a lower limit of $65.0MM. This marks a $4.5MM increase in the upper limit for the 2023-24 season – tied for the highest single-season increase of all time.
That's a deadly amount to give a top heavy team like the Leafs.

If we have a good off-season that keeps chipping away at flaws my money is on Panthers, Rangers and Leafs being the top contenders for the East next season. In a way that it's obvious to be the case.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Tavares is basically 3rd year Marleau at the moment. We’d probably have to give up more (a good pick) or retain a portion of salary to even move him for 1 year. Not worth it. He’s not getting 7 or 11 again.

The massive difference is Tavares would be getting paid 775k not a 4 million dollar bonus to be bought out.

I think he stays. But I see a sneaky Carolina deal as a possibility.

Reactions: aingefan

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
That's a deadly amount to give a top heavy team like the Leafs.

If we have a good off-season that keeps chipping away at flaws my money is on Panthers, Rangers and Leafs being the top contenders for the East next season. In a way that it's obvious to be the case.
It’s the Willy cap, the year the Willy extension kicks it.

What happens if it’s 91 or 93 million next year?

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Opening up to the idea of signing Monahan. Probably wouldn’t cost more than 4 million, you can probably get him at a little less if you give him some term, he’s from the GTA and he’s familiar with Treliving.

Reactions: LeafChief
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad