GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Tavares is basically 3rd year Marleau at the moment. We’d probably have to give up more (a good pick) or retain a portion of salary to even move him for 1 year. Not worth it. He’s not getting 7 or 11 again.
Suppose you retain $5m and give him away. Can you find a #2C who can put up 60+ points next year for $6m to replace him? I doubt it.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Tavares is still a 70 point guy. He's a $7M guy making $11M. The Marleau comparison is not even close.
Yup.

The hate for Tavares is odd sometimes.

They had to sign him for that long for him to come home. He'll still put up 60 points minimum next year. Yes he's slowing... yes he's not worth 11 million... but it is what it is for this year coming up unfortunately.

I think whether he resigns next year or not at a much lower average... Matthews should get the C. It's not going to anyone else regardless.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Tavares is still a 70 point guy. He's a $7M guy making $11M. The Marleau comparison is not even close.
Then why do you want to get rid of him when you can have the 70 point C next year for 6-7 million.
I’m not comparing him the player to Marleau the player in that sense. I’m l just saying don’t bother. It’s probably not worth it for 1 year. We should have just kept the last year of Marleau as well. Just ride it out. He’s not the long term fix or issue.
If Marner won’t waive, ride it all out to next year. We’ve dug our hole.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToneDog

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Suppose you retain $5m and give him away. Can you find a #2C who can put up 60+ points next year for $6m to replace him? I doubt it.
Well that’s kind of my point. Why bother for 1 year. You aren’t getting some fantastic return and any team he “might” waive for is a contender with a high payroll.
So you probably have to retain and don’t have a 2C. So you might as well stay the course. The problem will correct itself soon.

The other guy is the long term issue.

Reactions: ToneDog

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Then why do you want to get rid of him when you can have the 70 point C next year for 6-7 million.
I’m not comparing him the player to Marleau the player in that sense. I’m l just saying don’t bother. It’s probably not worth it for 1 year. We should have just kept the last year of Marleau as well. Just ride it out. He’s not the long term fix or issue.
If Marner won’t waive, ride it all out to next year. We’ve dug our hole.

Marleau needed to get bought out with the full cap hit and cash on the books, Tavares would presumably actually play for the team at 900k cash owed after we pay his bonus. A Chicago or whoever with cap space would get some value out of him especially if they can flip him retained at the deadline for a profit.

Reactions: Brobust

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Marleau needed to get bought out with the full cap hit and cash on the books, Tavares would presumably actually play for the team at 900k cash owed after we pay his bonus. A Chicago or whoever with cap space would get some value out of him especially if they can flip him retained at the deadline for a profit.

Even 3rd team retention would be relatively cheap because of his low salary. A lot of playoff teams would be very happy to get Tavares at $5.5M.

Reactions: Frostitute

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Those imaginary ufa offers are going to have to be slightly increased.

Another big jump could be coming next summer.

• Haha
Reactions: Burnie97

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
my problem is there's no such thing as a good tandem goalie imo. with goalies being so inconsistant year to year you spend a little bit of money like we did on Samsonov and it could turn out to be a waste. I get Woll has gotten injuries through out his career and that's a risk, but when healthy he's played really well besides coming off his ankle injury last year which he was handled poorly. so I think I would sign 2 cheap veteran guys that you could use at different times when there playing well as well as giving Hildeby a few games at some point.

a bigger question is do we take a risk and re-sign Woll this summer to a 3 year 2-2.5 million extension hoping he breaks out and kicks the injury bug. that would see him signed for the next 4 seasons. or do we wait and watch him have a great year and stay healthy and require 4-5 million on an extension.

my money would be spent on two top 4 Dmen and a middle six center who is defensively responsible and is good on the PK.

I think two top 4D and a middle 6C is going to end up being to expensive unless Marner goes or we start throwing money overboard

I don't trust Woll but he has talent, my plan would be to bring in someone who's good enough to start if Woll gets hurt but can play a role in a tandem at a reasonable price if Woll stays fit

Woll and Talbot
Experienced #3G like last season
Hildeby

I'd talk to Woll and see what he wants, then I'd make a call on resigning him now or waiting depending on his ask

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Yup.

The hate for Tavares is odd sometimes.

They had to sign him for that long for him to come home. He'll still put up 60 points minimum next year. Yes he's slowing... yes he's not worth 11 million... but it is what it is for this year coming up unfortunately.

I think whether he resigns next year or not at a much lower average... Matthews should get the C. It's not going to anyone else regardless.
my issue is he hasn't re-invented his game. Look not even JT's mother would say hes worth 11m. And we know that and that is fine. But what isn't is the lack of a secondary game, where he's nastier or meaner or positioning himself differently or w.e have you.

Like ROR is significantly slower working with less talent and had a similar pt output.

• Haha

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
my issue is he hasn't re-invented his game. Look not even JT's mother would say hes worth 11m. And we know that and that is fine. But what isn't is the lack of a secondary game, where he's nastier or meaner or positioning himself differently or w.e have you.

Like ROR is significantly slower working with less talent and had a similar pt output.
Fair enough. Yeah he's significantly cheaper. That's the way she goes sometimes.

I'm not happy with where the Leafs are at in terms of results like every other Leaf fan... they have to be better no doubt. I've just come to terms with JT not going anywhere.

Marner though... if he isn't traded this year... he'll forget ever wanting to be a Leaf... and that may haunt us later but he's just in the position where it makes the most sense he could waive and still have a good opportunity else where.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Fair enough. Yeah he's significantly cheaper. That's the way she goes sometimes.

I'm not happy with where the Leafs are at in terms of results like every other Leaf fan... they have to be better no doubt. I've just come to terms with JT not going anywhere.

Marner though... if he isn't traded this year... he'll forget ever wanting to be a Leaf... and that may haunt us later but he's just in the position where it makes the most sense he could waive and still have a good opportunity else where.
yeah i just dont get it like why theres not this attitude of doing w.e it takes to win with our core or at least it doesnt seem like it from the outside compared to say the avs locker room

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
They do have that attitude

But only during contract negotiations
I know it's the agents job too so good on him ... I guess... but Darren ferris or whatever can f*** off.

Those guys get so rich off of representing guys during negotiations and even if their guy took less to make a cup contender they'd still be loaded.

Can't they just put a bonus in for those guys if their client wins a cup?

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Not surprising at all the second Arizona goes to Utah the cap goes up. Imagine all the money lost just to keep that putrid franchise going.

We’re going to see some massive jumps in the cap in the next 3-5 years

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Tavares is basically 3rd year Marleau at the moment. We’d probably have to give up more (a good pick) or retain a portion of salary to even move him for 1 year. Not worth it. He’s not getting 7 or 11 again.

Not even close.

Marleau was a 37 point player his last season with the Leafs.
Tavares had 29 goals and 65 points.

If you're talking about Cap Hit, after July 1st. he's minimum wage, less than a $1mm.
Leafs could retain half if there was any reason to.

Of course, he isn't waiving so this is just mental gymnastics.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
With the cap expected to go up by a lot, maybe signing Mitch to $12M is actually the smartest move a team can make.

• Wow

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
It seems like RFA might be the best place to find our 3rd center. There are a lot of guys in that category....

Least Available:
Quinton Byfield -
Casey Mittelstadt -
Matty Beniers -
Connor McMichael -
Shane Pinto -

More Available:
Anton Lundell -
Cole Sillinger -

Most Available:
Jack Drury -
Joe Veleno -
Sam Steel -

Maybe swapping RFAs might be beneficial. Carolina could use a scoring LW and a RD. Detroit could use a scoring LW. Dallas could use a RD. Columbus likely plans to move Fantilli to C, which means they may need a scoring LW.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
It seems like RFA might be the best place to find our 3rd center. There are a lot of guys in that category....

Least Available:
Quinton Byfield -
Casey Mittelstadt -
Matty Beniers -
Connor McMichael -
Shane Pinto -

More Available:
Anton Lundell -
Cole Sillinger -

Most Available:
Jack Drury -
Joe Veleno -
Sam Steel -

Maybe swapping RFAs might be beneficial. Carolina could use a scoring LW and a RD. Detroit could use a scoring LW. Dallas could use a RD. Columbus likely plans to move Fantilli to C, which means they may need a scoring LW.

Veleno's got some psycho qualities. I wouldn't mind him.

Reactions: Dreakmur

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I think two top 4D and a middle 6C is going to end up being to expensive unless Marner goes or we start throwing money overboard

I don't trust Woll but he has talent, my plan would be to bring in someone who's good enough to start if Woll gets hurt but can play a role in a tandem at a reasonable price if Woll stays fit

Woll and Talbot
Experienced #3G like last season
Hildeby

I'd talk to Woll and see what he wants, then I'd make a call on resigning him now or waiting depending on his ask

middle 6 center might be to expensive probably more of a third line center in Wennberg mold.

current lineup don't worry about lines just naming players. current cap hit of 66.044 million meaning we have just under 22 million to spend. and yes I demoted Reaves/Timmins as they shouldn't get in the way of acquiring talent.

Knies Matthews Marner
McMann Tavares Nylander
****** ****** Jarnkrok
Holmberg Kampf ******

Rielly ******
Benoit McCabe

Woll
if you sign Robertson and 2 league min goalies for around 1 million each(1 minors and 1 on the leafs) and Cowen makes the team that leaves 19 million roughly to re-sign Liljegren, sign that center and two top 4 Dmen so if Liljegren comes in @ 3 million and you can find a good third line center for 4 million it would leave 12 million for 2 top 4 Dmen. maybe I'm being optimistic with the numbers but I could see it being possible.

but also this is why I think you trade for a top 4 Dmen and sign one. if you trade for a Dmen with one year left on his deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad