GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
That's a deadly amount to give a top heavy team like the Leafs.

If we have a good off-season that keeps chipping away at flaws my money is on Panthers, Rangers and Leafs being the top contenders for the East next season. In a way that it's obvious to be the case.

Nylander's extension eats up literally the entire cap increase - he's jumping from 7M to 11.5M, a 4.5M increase.

Our capspace this offseason is mostly due to Brodie, Bertuzzi, Domi, Samsonov, etc coming off the books.

A year from now we'll have legit capspace with 22M coming off for Tavares/Marner - Marner we likely re-sign or trade for some caphits coming back, so I don't actually anticipate having that full amount of capspace next July. But Tavares almost certainly walks or re-signs at a way lower #.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That's a deadly amount to give a top heavy team like the Leafs.

If we have a good off-season that keeps chipping away at flaws my money is on Panthers, Rangers and Leafs being the top contenders for the East next season. In a way that it's obvious to be the case.
The good news and the bad news ...

The Good: The Salary Cap has gone up a record $4.5 mil

The Bad: Nylander inked a contract extension with the Maple Leafs in the middle of last season, worth a whopping $92M. His previous AAV was just a hair under $7M, but with his new cap hit coming in at $11.5M, that eats up the entire $4.5M boost NHL teams are receiving this summer.

Matthews inked a 4-year contract extension worth a staggering $13.25M per season last summer, but Matthews' raise is ~$1.6M more than his previous $11.64M cap hit from last season, so that's also something they'll have to content with.

So just with those 2 raises Leafs have ~$1.64 mil then last year already and forced to cut salaries despite a +$4.5 mil cap increase.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

The Bad: Nylander inked a contract extension with the Maple Leafs in the middle of last season, worth a whopping $92M. His previous AAV was just a hair under $7M, but with his new cap hit coming in at $11.5M, that eats up the entire $4.5M boost NHL teams are receiving this summer.

Matthews inked a 4-year contract extension worth a staggering $13.25M per season last summer, but Matthews' raise is ~$1.6M more than his previous $11.64M cap hit from last season, so that's also something they'll have to content with.

So just with those 2 raises Leafs have ~$1.64 mil then last year already and forced to cut salaries despite a +$4.5 mil cap increase.

Very glad we kept both but Nylander’s deal really isn’t great. 4.5M should have covered both raises

Last edited:

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I'd do everything possible to get Tavares to move. I'd retain 30% and trade him to a team like Boston for Trent Frédéric and a 2nd round pick.

• Haha
Reactions: Isaac Nootin

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Opening up to the idea of signing Monahan. Probably wouldn’t cost more than 4 million, you can probably get him at a little less if you give him some term, he’s from the GTA and he’s familiar with Treliving.

would love Monahan but he just put up 59 points last year he will probably get more then we can afford. I was hoping last year we would offer him a 2nd year @ 2-2.5 million per season hoping he would have the season he had. would've been better then Domi imo.

Reactions: TMLAM34

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Based on AFP projected contract relative to production, looks like the 3 biggest bargain signings to be made on defense this offseason are Ian Cole (1 year 2.1M), Derek Forbort (1 year 1.3M), and Kevin Shattenkirk (1 year 1.5M).

• Wow
Reactions: uncleben

the real Fox mulder

Dec 4, 2022

In total we have $18,800,666 in cap space with Easton Cowan making the team.

We need to sign 4 more players ( 2 dman, 1 forward, and 1 goalie) to fill out the roster. There is cap space to make two to three impactful signing. Even with Matthew and Nylander getting raises, There is room to make impactful moves.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I don't think it would happen but with Tre's previous relationship with Lindholm I could see us at least kicking the tires. I like Bertuzzi but we're over-stocked on left wing and desperately need a two-way center. If Lindholm could be gotten for 8.5M or bellow I would take that over Bertuzzi at his current cap hit (5.5M) and just find a way to dump Kampf to free up another 2.4M. It would solidify us defensively and allow us to move Tavares to the wing or to the energy line.

Reactions: HolyCrap

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Marner & Liljegren
For
Hagel & Cernak

How far off? And would you do it?

Hagel - Matthews - Knies
Domi - Nylander
Cowan - Tavares - McMann

Rielly - Cernak
Benoit - McCabe

Woll

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
Friedman links us to Markstrom
Stolarz is the hidden gem this offseason, Brossoit #2

GSVAA:
Stolarz - 20.1 in 27gp - 2.2m projected salary
Markstrom - 13.7 in 48gp - 6m
Brossoit - 13.1 in 23gp - 2.2m projected salary

I’d much rather overpay a tad on Stolarz/Brossoit with an offer around 3m than pay the assets to get Markstrom retained.

But if we strike out Markstrom would be the logical trade candidate.

Reactions: Burnie97

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

GSVAA:

I’d much rather overpay a tad on Stolarz/Brossoit with an offer around 3m than pay the assets to get Markstrom retained.

I wonder how much those guys' numbers are juiced by playing for the two best defensive teams in the league. Still, those are solid options.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

GSVAA:

The issue is they have played primarily back up roles their entire career. Assuming Woll is only good for 25-30 games, can they hold up playing 2/3 of the season?

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
would love Monahan but he just put up 59 points last year he will probably get more then we can afford. I was hoping last year we would offer him a 2nd year @ 2-2.5 million per season hoping he would have the season he had. would've been better then Domi imo.
I think teams will be pretty hesitant to give him term given his injury history. If we can sign him to a 3 year deal, I’d be willing to give him 4 million per. He’s been paid pretty well throughout his career, maybe he’d take a bit of a discount to play for the Leafs given he’s from Brampton.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
The issue is they have played primarily back up roles their entire career. Assuming Woll is only good for 25-30 games, can they hold up playing 2/3 of the season?
Stolarz and Brossoit are solid goaltenders, but we need someone better when Woll hasn’t played more than 25 games in a season for us due to injuries. If Woll goes down, which is very likely, and we’re using Stolarz or Brossoit as our number 1 for an extended period of time, we’re in trouble.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Stolarz and Brossoit are solid goaltenders, but we need someone better when Woll hasn’t played more than 25 games in a season for us due to injuries. If Woll goes down, which is very likely, and we’re using Stolarz or Brossoit as our number 1 for an extended period of time, we’re in trouble.
Not sure you can find a much better option without giving up something significant.

Saros, Ullmark, Markstrom are the best true #1s available. I'd roll the dice with Stolarz if the price is right.

the real Fox mulder

Dec 4, 2022
I don't mind having Stolarz or Brossoit sharing the net with Woll. Most of our cap space should be spent on improving the D core. If Woll suffers an injury again, our D core should be much better to handle this situation if it happens.

If you want to solve the goalie issue, wait till next season when we'll know if Woll is up to the task and with Saros and Ullmark becoming free agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad