GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Yeah - would be nice if they would allow for the generic tools to still be available to fans. No real competitive advantage to the regular tools (they are just clean, easy to use excel spreadsheets).

I saw some people on Twitter mention Puck Pedia as an alternative. I guess I'll check that out.

When the founder of Cap Geek passed away, the creators of Cap Friendly filled the gap relatively quickly with a similar looking product. I imagine someone will scrape the data and create a new version of Cap Friendly soon enough.
I scrape their data once a month for my own tools. I’m sure a lot of people have it.

Salary cap raises 4M next season AND JT gets re-signed for 5M and we have an extra 10M to go to D and G and depth. That's why I would re-sign Marner to his current number or the same as Nylander.
If JT refuses to waive, why on earth are the Leafs offering him 5M? If he isn’t leaving Toronto then he can play for 1M. Basic supply and demand.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
my problem is there's no such thing as a good tandem goalie imo. with goalies being so inconsistant year to year you spend a little bit of money like we did on Samsonov and it could turn out to be a waste. I get Woll has gotten injuries through out his career and that's a risk, but when healthy he's played really well besides coming off his ankle injury last year which he was handled poorly. so I think I would sign 2 cheap veteran guys that you could use at different times when there playing well as well as giving Hildeby a few games at some point.

a bigger question is do we take a risk and re-sign Woll this summer to a 3 year 2-2.5 million extension hoping he breaks out and kicks the injury bug. that would see him signed for the next 4 seasons. or do we wait and watch him have a great year and stay healthy and require 4-5 million on an extension.

my money would be spent on two top 4 Dmen and a middle six center who is defensively responsible and is good on the PK.

Yeah I would lock in Woll to a $2 million deal if that is what the player wants to do, although there is the possibility that we scrap the Woll project at some point and just for a bluechip solution too. But $2 million is a fairly comfortable number.

Reactions: Menzinger

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
There should be, but we're not heartless enough. It'd be better if we were. There's probably still that respect that he chose to sign here. It'd be nice if our management put the team ahead of doing right by our guys.
Everybody, including Shanahan, knew what that contract would be like in the final few years. He was banking on them winning a Cup before that happened, and we all know why that never happened.

If management did that to Tavares, it would be frowned upon by all future UFAs. It would be deemed a classless move, and seriously damage the reputation of the Leafs organization as a great place to sign.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Everybody, including Shanahan, knew what that contract would be like in the final few years. He was banking on them winning a Cup before that happened, and we all know why that never happened.

If management did that to Tavares, it would be frowned upon by all future UFAs. It would be deemed a classless move, and seriously damage the reputation of the Leafs organization as a great place to sign.

The cap would have probably been 100 million by now and over 90 through most. Which would change things.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Max Domi and the Maple Leafs are still talking contract: ‘I hope it works out’ - Toronto Star

Max Domi wants to remain a Toronto Maple Leaf.

The pending unrestricted free agent has made no secret that he hopes to re-sign with the team he grew up watching, and reiterated that Sunday.

“If it works out, great. If not, I’ve enjoyed every second of it. Wearing that jersey was a huge honour and huge privilege,” Domi said in an interview with the Star. “I hope it works out, but we’ll see. That’s over my head now. The agent and (Leafs general manager Brad Treliving) are gonna be talking and figuring it out on our end.”

Domi lives in Toronto — as do his girlfriend, mom, two sisters and their boyfriends. Throughout a career that has taken him to seven NHL markets, he said he always comes back to Toronto in the summer.

“Nothing but great memories here,” Domi said. “The goal is to figure something out (with the Leafs).”

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Wouldn’t teams already have their own?
It seems silly they wouldn’t.

It does seem silly but they absolutely don't. There's a bunch of photos from the past few drafts of front officenstaff using cap friendly.

It takes time, effort and direction to get something like that put together. And I think some hockey execs just don't think about that kind of thing

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
The cap would have probably been 100 million by now and over 90 through most. Which would change things.
This really doesn't get talked about enough. The Covid flat cap hurt the Leafs more than any other NHL team. They signed four guys to big deals that aged terribly because the cap didn't go up. Instead of having four guys making $40M and having $50M or $60M to surround them with supporting talent, they had ~$40M for several years. That was not the plan. The timing of these four contract and then Covid was just terrible luck.

Also, the Leafs used to be able to outspend many teams. During the flat cap era everyone was up against the cap. It will be nice seeing them spend more than other teams again.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Max Domi and the Maple Leafs are still talking contract: ‘I hope it works out’ - Toronto Star

Max Domi wants to remain a Toronto Maple Leaf.

The pending unrestricted free agent has made no secret that he hopes to re-sign with the team he grew up watching, and reiterated that Sunday.

“If it works out, great. If not, I’ve enjoyed every second of it. Wearing that jersey was a huge honour and huge privilege,” Domi said in an interview with the Star. “I hope it works out, but we’ll see. That’s over my head now. The agent and (Leafs general manager Brad Treliving) are gonna be talking and figuring it out on our end.”

Domi lives in Toronto — as do his girlfriend, mom, two sisters and their boyfriends. Throughout a career that has taken him to seven NHL markets, he said he always comes back to Toronto in the summer.

“Nothing but great memories here,” Domi said. “The goal is to figure something out (with the Leafs).”

Pretty easy then, don’t ask for $5-$6 Aav

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Yep, it's past time to start putting some lines in the sand

I agree, though one of the problems is within the past year we already haven't with Matthews/Nylander.

Creates a double standard that we'll pay our top players clearly above market comparables, and in order to afford that under the cap, we're asking other players to sign at or below their market comparables. Which I would imagine creates resentment.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I like what Domi did but the reality is winger is our least important position to allocate money to this offseason. Centre, defense and goalie are all more pressing needs. It’s why I’m also fine with letting Bertuzzi walk. Knies, McMann, Cowan, Robertson…we will have cheap options at wing. And there will always be a winger or two in free agency willing to take a 1 year prove it deal with us for the chance to play with our stars.

It’s hard for me think locking in Domi/Bertuzzi long term makes any sense with their ages and our options, even if they take under market AAVs. Rather just try to get someone like Perron on a 1 year deal and roll with our cheaper options.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeywiz542

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
This really doesn't get talked about enough. The Covid flat cap hurt the Leafs more than any other NHL team. They signed four guys to big deals that aged terribly because the cap didn't go up. Instead of having four guys making $40M and having $50M or $60M to surround them with supporting talent, they had ~$40M for several years. That was not the plan. The timing of these four contract and then Covid was just terrible luck.

Also, the Leafs used to be able to outspend many teams. During the flat cap era everyone was up against the cap. It will be nice seeing them spend more than other teams again.
It’s a shame teams like Colorado knew about COVID early when they signed Rantanen. Or the Lightning with Point. They should have warned everyone.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I like what Domi did but the reality is winger is our least important position to allocate money to this offseason. Centre, defense and goalie are all more pressing needs. It’s why I’m also fine with letting Bertuzzi walk. Knies, McMann, Cowan, Robertson…we will have cheap options at wing. And there will always be a winger or two in free agency willing to take a 1 year prove it deal with us for the chance to play with our stars.

It’s hard for me think locking in Domi/Bertuzzi long term makes any sense with their ages and our options, even if they take under market AAVs. Rather just try to get someone like Perron on a 1 year deal and roll with our cheaper options.
I have always been in the boat of “don’t spend on wingers” but that Bertuzzi-Matthews-Domi line changed my outlook. That line was dominant and his wingers combined for 8.5M. That line outperformed any iteration of Matthews/Nylander/X or Matthews/Marner/X that is still available to the team and it will automatically be cheaper than either of those combos. If you can get both at 9M and that line can continue that success the Leafs would be in an advantageous position going forward.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
FB_IMG_1718022044213.jpg

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
No doubt about that. It’s just such a shame that Dubas and Shanahan gave Matthews and Marner everything they wanted,
No doubt about that. It’s just such a shame that Shanahan and Dubas gave
How much would it actually have changed things, though? If you have noticed, the more successful playoffs teams have their cap allotment better spread out. Think about it, the Leafs are the ONLY team to have been paying 3 forwards over $10 million each (and this season they could have 4 but only if Marner refuses to be traded, or one cannot be worked out)! NO OTHER TEAM was doing that, or even close to doing it! After their ELCs were up, Matthews and Marner were vastly overpaid, getting contracts that no other players coming off of their ELCs had ever gotten!

Say what you want, but the smarter GMs/management teams also consider playoff performance, especially how it relates to team success, when resigning their players to new contracts. These two may have had some individual playoff success but it certainly didn't, and still hasn't, led to any team success! And I'm quite certain a lot/most/all of the blame can be attributed to the amount of cap space they (as well as Tavares and Nylander) have been/are taking up.

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019

How about the fact that NO OTHER TEAM has come close to paying 4 forwards that much of their cap? And add onto that the fact that NO OTHER GM/MANAGEMENT TEAM has ever paid their players coming off of their ELCs what Shanahan and Dubas gave to Matthews and Marner!

Yes, the Leafs used to be able to outspend other teams, but it never led to winning the Cup. Outspending is not the answer. Spending WISELY is the answer, as well as having an amount that you're willing to spend on a player and sticking to it. That's what I'm hoping Tre will do.

Reactions: JKG33 and 613Leafer

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I agree, though one of the problems is within the past year we already haven't with Matthews/Nylander.

Creates a double standard that we'll pay our top players clearly above market comparables, and in order to afford that under the cap, we're asking other players to sign at or below their market comparables. Which I would imagine creates resentment.
Doesn’t really seem like a great way to foster chemistry and unity.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
As per Mirtle, sounds like there is lots of interest in Perron. Played for Berube is STL and might be given a role on PP1. Hope he gives us a huge discount since he is 36 and probably looking at 3 year deal.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Hey Mitch we’ve got a on hold deal pending your acceptance to waive your NMC. We really don’t see a future fit with our team anymore and think it’s time for a change. Will you accept a trade? Oh, where you ask. Umm, there’s plenty of beautiful spots to wake board at this place, it’s right on the lake. Umm, which lake? Lake Erie Mitch, get your bags packed, Columbus is calling

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
As per Mirtle, sounds like there is lots of interest in Perron. Played for Berube is STL and might be given a role on PP1. Hope he gives us a huge discount since he is 36 and probably looking at 3 year deal.

Perron was very good for a long time but yeah... Not sure we should be in the market for a 36 year old that already started to regress. But if the price is very good and he's willing to go short-term, he's a great vet. I don't see the fit though overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad