GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
The issue is they have played primarily back up roles their entire career. Assuming Woll is only good for 25-30 games, can they hold up playing 2/3 of the season?
I think both those guys have been particularly stuck behind sure fire #1 goalies (Gibson/Bob & Helle).

Especially Stolarz was putting up good numbers for Anaheim when they were ass.

And I think the team should be optimistic on Woll for 40-50 starts, back up 30-40.

Reactions: LeafSteel

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
If the Cap is going to 92.5 in another year, I would be less anxious about giving out higher AAV's to the right players.
Term is a separate issue., but the deals could be a bargain in 3 years time if the cap keeps jumping like this.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I think Matt Roy should be our top priority this off-season through free agency. Acquiring a second pairing RHD without giving up assets would be huge.

McCabe - Roy would make a nice shutdown physical pair. Roy would help on the PK as well.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
It’s the Willy cap, the year the Willy extension kicks it.

What happens if it’s 91 or 93 million next year?
Salary cap raises 4M next season AND JT gets re-signed for 5M and we have an extra 10M to go to D and G and depth. That's why I would re-sign Marner to his current number or the same as Nylander.

Reactions: Brobust and Albz

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Can't agree more. There are top notch goalies in the league but I have never considered him one.

I even have reservations on Saros.

Yea, Markstrom was once the "next" big goalie, as he was a fairly high pick and killed it at the World Juniors. Seems he's ridden that reputation ever since.

Like sure, he had a few legit good years, but his career save % is 0.909 - Reimers by contrast is 0.910 (he started right around the same time, and is obviously a goalie Leafs fans don't see as a quality #1G).

Markstrom is 32/34 goalies since his first NHL game for save % (minimum 400 games played), and his past two seasons were bad, and 3 of his last 4 seasons were bad. So we're going to give up assets and take on his multi-year large caphit... For what reason exactly? May as well roll the dice on Stolarz/Benoit + Woll, not give up assets, and only give a short term cheapish contract.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
CapGeek, now CapFriendly. Hate this crap. What do the Capitals even want with the site besides just wanting to shut it down for the public?
I believe there is more available than the regular tools that fans use.

Friedman mentioned in his article that some teams were paying CapFriendly a membership fee for additional services and they have recently been advised that they will no longer be providing that service (due to this sale).

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I believe there is more available than the regular tools that fans use.

Friedman mentioned in his article that some teams were paying CapFriendly a membership fee for additional services and they have recently been advised that they will no longer be providing that service (due to this sale).
Cool, so become owners to block the other clubs... but shutting off public access to the basic amenities is just a dick move

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Cool, so become owners to block the other clubs... but shutting off public access to the basic amenities is just a dick move
Yeah - would be nice if they would allow for the generic tools to still be available to fans. No real competitive advantage to the regular tools (they are just clean, easy to use excel spreadsheets).

I saw some people on Twitter mention Puck Pedia as an alternative. I guess I'll check that out.

When the founder of Cap Geek passed away, the creators of Cap Friendly filled the gap relatively quickly with a similar looking product. I imagine someone will scrape the data and create a new version of Cap Friendly soon enough.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Yeah - would be nice if they would allow for the generic tools to still be available to fans. No real competitive advantage to the regular tools (they are just clean, easy to use excel spreadsheets).

I saw some people on Twitter mention Puck Pedia as an alternative. I guess I'll check that out.

When the founder of Cap Geek passed away, the creators of Cap Friendly filled the gap relatively quickly with a similar looking product. I imagine someone will scrape the data and create a new version of Cap Friendly soon enough.
It's one thing to scrape data and make a clone, though, and another to keep the site updated moving forward.
You needs contacts and access to NHL registry data and good relationships with NHL employees and reporters.
Idk know where the creators of CapFriendly started, but that's a harder void to fill.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
While I believe Marner will most likely play out his current contract and walk away from the team, leaving us with nothing but cap space, I do like to fantasize about a potential return for him.

In my head I have him narrowing down to a potential deal to either Nashville or Vegas. Curious if anyone thought there might be other realistic options?

Thanks

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Stolarz is the hidden gem this offseason, Brossoit #2

GSVAA:
Stolarz - 20.1 in 27gp - 2.2m projected salary
Markstrom - 13.7 in 48gp - 6m
Brossoit - 13.1 in 23gp - 2.2m projected salary

I’d much rather overpay a tad on Stolarz/Brossoit with an offer around 3m than pay the assets to get Markstrom retained.

But if we strike out Markstrom would be the logical trade candidate.

Interestingly More has said thr Leafs have heavy interest in Brossoit if they opt to do a cheaper tandem next season and see how Woll handles things

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
That's bullshit about capfriendly. That shouldn't even be allowed.

Really tired of everything being bought out by bigger corporations etc

Capitalism by the Capitals. They'll probably monetize it.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Can anyone explain the benefit of the caps buying cap friendly?

How does that help them?

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
What edge is the capitals getting out of this?

You're telling me they didn't have any cap expert in their office that could runs the same numbers capgeek was running?

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Can anyone explain the benefit of the caps buying cap friendly?

How does that help them?
Capitals want "thing"
CapFriendly has "thing"
Now Capitals have "thing" and no one else can have "thing"

And, I'm not mocking you by explaining it that way.
I just wanted to emphasize Washington's pea-brain logic, because while, yes, they are the only ones with "thing", other team are just going to make "th¡ng" and it won't effect them at all. But Washington? Washington's cavemen brains will be sooo proud they have the original "thing", oblivious that it made no difference to the other teams in the end.

Meanwhile, fans are left with nothing at all.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
It's one thing to scrape data and make a clone, though, and another to keep the site updated moving forward.
You needs contacts and access to NHL registry data and good relationships with NHL employees and reporters.
Idk know where the creators of CapFriendly started, but that's a harder void to fill.

The site was a lot slower to update contract details in the past, so they obviously developed a lot of those contacts over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad