GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Perron was very good for a long time but yeah... Not sure we should be in the market for a 36 year old that already started to regress. But if the price is very good and he's willing to go short-term, he's a great vet. I don't see the fit though overall.
Toronto has learned nothing if they give a 36 year old a 3 year contract. the 35+ contracts are killer because you can't make em retire. Just like what Marleau did to us.

There's also younger and better options for us then him.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
They're bringing Domi back. He's replacing Marner as Matthew's setup man. He broke his hands fighting for Matthews. He's a good passer. And he's made that line noticeably faster too in addition to the obvious physical play. He loves the Leafs. This is a no-brainer. Deal will get worked out.

Reactions: LeafSteel

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Toronto has learned nothing if they give a 36 year old a 3 year contract. the 35+ contracts are killer because you can't make em retire. Just like what Marleau did to us.

There's also younger and better options for us then him.

Pretty much. I just don't see the fit or the vision with that kind of move, especially if they are also bringing back Bertuzzi and Domi.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Yeah, the first line next year should be Knies - Matthews - Domi. Everything else can be thrown in a blender.

Reactions: Kurtz

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Pagnotta also mentioned the Leafs having interest in Perron a couple of weeks back.

Hope the cost and fit are right. Also, have to assume Kampf and Jarnkrok are gone. I deem Perron at best as a Jarnkrok Replacement

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Perron is scary. His underlying numbers suggest he is a black hole at ES. If Marner is gone and you want to throw him on PP1 that's fine, but you'd then have to shelter him at 5v5. The AAV better reflect his usage.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Perron as a Jarnkrok replacement is fine. But if he ends up being a potential marner replacement in the top 6. we downgraded bad

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Perron was awful last season, Wings fans are happy to be moving on from him.
True, but he had 24 goals last year and 27 goals the year before. I guess the question is - that hopefully Leafs staff get a good read on - whether this year was an anomaly or the begging of the end.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
This will be a scary off season FA wise, a lot of buyer beware type players, and sadly I think Toronto would be targeting them.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I like what Domi did but the reality is winger is our least important position to allocate money to this offseason. Centre, defense and goalie are all more pressing needs. It’s why I’m also fine with letting Bertuzzi walk. Knies, McMann, Cowan, Robertson…we will have cheap options at wing. And there will always be a winger or two in free agency willing to take a 1 year prove it deal with us for the chance to play with our stars.

It’s hard for me think locking in Domi/Bertuzzi long term makes any sense with their ages and our options, even if they take under market AAVs. Rather just try to get someone like Perron on a 1 year deal and roll with our cheaper options.
If Marner can’t be moved I’d spend every penny on the D, address G and F once JT and Marner are gone……..

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I like what Domi did but the reality is winger is our least important position to allocate money to this offseason. Centre, defense and goalie are all more pressing needs. It’s why I’m also fine with letting Bertuzzi walk. Knies, McMann, Cowan, Robertson…we will have cheap options at wing. And there will always be a winger or two in free agency willing to take a 1 year prove it deal with us for the chance to play with our stars.

It’s hard for me think locking in Domi/Bertuzzi long term makes any sense with their ages and our options, even if they take under market AAVs. Rather just try to get someone like Perron on a 1 year deal and roll with our cheaper options.

I find both players to be entertaining so I'm fine keeping them lol

But the team could use some consistency in terms of it's second tier support players. Gives guys time and space to grow with the team.

The cap is likely going to take some nice jumps in the coming years which I think will ease the burden of them even signed at like 4-5 mil a piece

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Would you do this:

Kris Letang/Braden Yager (PENS)

for Mitch Marner (LEAFS)

Why Leafs do it: Letang has a 6.1 cap hit and is signed for a few more years. Not too bad given what he gives you. What does he give you? He had 51 points last year, so he still has the offense. He also has the puck-moving skills that we need and the PP quarterbacking ability. Would need to be paired with a defensively responsible player though given his defensive blunders. Yager is the Pens best prospect - has 2nd line center written all over him. We also open up a lot of cap space with this deal.

Why Pens do it:
Dubas loves Mitch! Crosby gets a star on his wing. Mitch gets to continue to put up a lot of points. The team gets a shake up. This also allows Dubas to rebuild on the fly. A proper rebuild for the Pens is dangerous for Dubas. Could lose his job and maybe even his opportunity to continue to be a GM in this league. A smooth transition from the old guys to the new guys works in his favour. Also, some have argued that Karlsson does much better when he is the man. Maybe getting rid of the other "man" helps Karlsson's game. At this point in time, Karlsson is there for the long-haul and it may be more prudent for Dubas to plan with him in mind than with Letang.

Reactions: socko

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Given the (@$(T#& Capitals have purchased CapFriendly, and are going to shut it down, I figured I'd work on my mock scenario one last time, in honour of what a great resource it's been. I just need a goalie...

Trades​

Edit

TOR​

1. Wright, Shane
  2. 2024 1st round pick (SEA)

SEA​

1. Marner, Mitchell

Edit

TOR​

1. McBain, Jack
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (UTA)

UTA​

1. Järnkrok, Calle
  2. Kämpf, David
  3. Robertson, Nicholas

Free Agent Signings​

RFAYEARSCAP HIT

Dewar, Connor
2$892,500

Robertson, Nicholas
3$1,200,000

Gregor, Noah
2$800,000

Steeves, Alex
2$850,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT

Domi, Max
4$4,000,000

Montour, Brandon
5$7,500,000

DeMelo, Dylan
4$4,570,000

Roy, Matt
4$4,500,000

Kane, Patrick
2$4,000,000

Draft Picks - Click draft pick to insert into trade​

DRAFTROUND 1ROUND 2ROUND 3ROUND 4ROUND 5ROUND 6ROUND 7
Logo of the TOR

Logo of the SEA
Logo of the UTA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR

Logo of the NSH

Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR

Logo of the OTT
ROSTER

LONG-TERM OUTLOOK

EMBED

TEXT-EMBED

ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES
Tooltip
BONUSESCAP SPACE
22$87,500,000$21,545,500$0$3,062,500$4,954,500
Delete PlayerBuyoutAdd to Trade

Prorated Cap Hit

Roster​

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Domi, Max
$4,000,000
C, RW
UFA
Matthews, Auston
$13,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
Kane, Patrick
$4,000,000
RW
UFA
McMann, Bobby
$1,350,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Tavares, John
$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
Waivers Exempt
Cowan, Easton
$904,667
LW, C
RFA - 3
Waivers Exempt
Knies, Matthew
$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Waivers Exempt
Wright, Shane
$886,667 (
Performance Bonus
$3,062,500)
C
RFA - 3
Nylander, William
$11,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 8
Gregor, Noah
$800,000
LW, RW
RFA
McBain, Jack
$1,599,999
C, LW
RFA - 1
Dewar, Connor
$892,500
LW, C
RFA
Reaves, Ryan
$1,350,000
RW
UFA - 2
Holmberg, Pontus
$800,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
RW5
LW6
Roster created at CapFriendly.com | Follow on Twitter @CapFriendly
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Rielly, Morgan
$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
Montour, Brandon
$7,500,000
RD
UFA
Woll, Joseph
$766,667
G
RFA - 1
McCabe, Jake
$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Roy, Matt
$4,500,000
RD
UFA
G2
Benoit, Simon
$1,350,000
LD
UFA - 3
DeMelo, Dylan
$4,570,000
Edit

RD
UFA
G3
Timmins, Conor
$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 1
RD4

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Would you do this:

Kris Letang/Braden Yager (PENS)

for Mitch Marner (LEAFS)

Why Leafs do it: Letang has a 6.1 cap hit and is signed for a few more years. Not too bad given what he gives you. What does he give you? He had 51 points last year, so he still has the offense. He also has the puck-moving skills that we need and the PP quarterbacking ability. Would need to be paired with a defensively responsible player though given his defensive blunders. Yager is the Pens best prospect - has 2nd line center written all over him. We also open up a lot of cap space with this deal.

Why Pens do it:
Dubas loves Mitch! Crosby gets a star on his wing. Mitch gets to continue to put up a lot of points. The team gets a shake up. This also allows Dubas to rebuild on the fly. A proper rebuild for the Pens is dangerous for Dubas. Could lose his job and maybe even his opportunity to continue to be a GM in this league. A smooth transition from the old guys to the new guys works in his favour. Also, some have argued that Karlsson does much better when he is the man. Maybe getting rid of the other "man" helps Karlsson's game. At this point in time, Karlsson is there for the long-haul and it may be more prudent for Dubas to plan with him in mind than with Letang.

There's a logic to it.

But I think I'd rather the team get a younger NHL roster player than Letang as the main piece

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
The UFA center market is really slim pickings, unless you are signing the higher end FA such as Lindholm ,Stephensons ,Monahan, Wennberg, it's bad. Can see Toronto holding onto Kampf for that exact reason, which isn't good for us because that 3C hole is hurting.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Sucks I love Capfriendly

Spotrac is the only other site I can think of to use going forward.

not the same, but i think they will look to replicate more capfriendly features when it goes dark and no fear of retribution

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

not the same, but i think they will look to replicate more capfriendly features when it goes dark and no fear of retribution
I hope so... Capfriendly has been such a great resource for fans. It's purchase actually downgrades the hardcores fans experience with the NHL..

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
I think Matt Roy should be our top priority this off-season through free agency. Acquiring a second pairing RHD without giving up assets would be huge.

McCabe - Roy would make a nice shutdown physical pair. Roy would help on the PK as well.
i would target him and still beat the drum of trying to trade for Whitecloud out of vegas who are up against cap and have cheaper alternatives for him.

Rielly - Whitecloud
McCabe - Roy

would be a nice top 4, roll a cheap 3rd pair of Benoit and Timmins or a cheap vet, until the deadline and see what you can add.

Yea, Markstrom was once the "next" big goalie, as he was a fairly high pick and killed it at the World Juniors. Seems he's ridden that reputation ever since.

Like sure, he had a few legit good years, but his career save % is 0.909 - Reimers by contrast is 0.910 (he started right around the same time, and is obviously a goalie Leafs fans don't see as a quality #1G).

Markstrom is 32/34 goalies since his first NHL game for save % (minimum 400 games played), and his past two seasons were bad, and 3 of his last 4 seasons were bad. So we're going to give up assets and take on his multi-year large caphit... For what reason exactly? May as well roll the dice on Stolarz/Benoit + Woll, not give up assets, and only give a short term cheapish contract.
Markstrom always seems to be around the mid year Vezina conversation and then his numbers end up average, which is not a good sign.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
So what's everyone's opinion on Markstrom link?

I wouldn't mind if we can send a contract the other way like Jarnkrok

He'll only cost 2.5 more than Sammy did. He can hold the fort for another year or two

He still has a lot of mile left in him

Depends on what it costs us.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Domi was surprisingly strong on face offs, that's the only reason i pencil him back in

He's versatile that's for sure. I'll take him over Jarnkrok anyway. I am OK giving 3.5 a year for 3 years if we can dump Calle

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Grebenkin is a wildcard for me. Based off his numbers in the KHL and others who have transitioned to the NHL, he’ll probably be able to crack the roster.

I can see him doing really well with a player like Nylander but you’d have to go out and find a pretty strong defensively responsible center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad