GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
What are we guessing the price would be?
I have no interest in getting into bidding wards when there are multiple options.

I'd just set a price for what I think he's worth and walk if he wants over that

3.5 × 3 something like that, what I'd give Domi so see if one of them would sign it

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Lindholms game appears to be in the decline. Other than decent playoffs he has been medicore all year

If he wants 8×8 he can go somewhere else

Focus on D and goaltending.

Reactions: Kiwi

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Why do people keep bringing up a Marner trade based on what we've heard lately?

Wishful thinking imo...

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
How big of a homer are you?

Do you think Marner has insane value with one year left on his deal right now? Lol
We have our version of Hoglander in Robertson, why do we need him?

Mikheyev is a pure cap dump at this point, there’s talk Vancouver is considering buying him out.

Hronek is a solid offensive dman, who’s about to get overpaid. Why not just wait and overpay Montour at that point? Not to mention, his attitude isn’t the best, there’s a reason Stevie Y got rid of him at a younger age.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
How big of a homer are you?

Do you think Marner has insane value with one year left on his deal right now? Lol

Mikheyev is a huge cap dump, God only knows how much Hronek wants and Hoglander is a nice little player but hardly a needle mover

I'd rather just hang onto Marner and get the cap space next season

Reactions: Altair and TMLAM34

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Why do people keep bringing up a Marner trade based on what we've heard lately?

Wishful thinking imo...
Marner is not going anywhere in my opinion

He's going to playout the year with the Leafs. If he walks next year, we'll he walks. We got 10 years out of him

I can't see anyone trading their grade A player for unsigned Marner. He won't resign until he hits free agency.

Reactions: Smif

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
If Marner is not moving, we spend all of the remaining cap space on two Dmen and a 1A goalie.

Give Cowan, Minten, Robertson, Holmberg, Dewar a chance to flourish with increased responsibility. If we need help up front, improve at the deadline. Simple as that.

Reactions: HolyCrap

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
We have our version of Hoglander in Robertson, why do we need him?

Mikheyev is a pure cap dump at this point, there’s talk Vancouver is considering buying him out.

Hronek is a solid offensive dman, who’s about to get overpaid. Why not just wait and overpay Montour at that point? Not to mention, his attitude isn’t the best, there’s a reason Stevie Y got rid of him at a younger age.
You want to hand out $8M+ x 7 years to 30 YO Brandon Montour who had 2 good years on a stacked Florida team?

Very unserious here.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Hoglander, Hronek and Mikheyev for Marner

Hronek and Marner sign respective extensions.

Fair?

Don't want to trade for anyone that the team might have to overpay to keep.

That's why Hronek and Shea Theodore are both not good targets, IMO.

Marner is good enough that they should be able to get someone with contract certainty. Either someone already signed with some term or someone with a lot of RFA years.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
It’s a shame teams like Colorado knew about COVID early when they signed Rantanen. Or the Lightning with Point. They should have warned everyone.
These are two different issues. If you believe we overpaid these guys then we need to talk about what it takes to sign people in Toronto's fishbowl with high provincial and federal taxes. You happened to site two examples of markets where it is much easier to play that have little to no state tax.

My point is that we had a plan and we will never know if that plan would have worked because Covid hit. How would these Leafs look if they had $10M to $20M more to spend? We won't know but it warrants consideration when assessing the work of Shanny and Dubas.

Reactions: HomelessPepper

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
How about the fact that NO OTHER TEAM has come close to paying 4 forwards that much of their cap? And add onto that the fact that NO OTHER GM/MANAGEMENT TEAM has ever paid their players coming off of their ELCs what Shanahan and Dubas gave to Matthews and Marner!

Yes, the Leafs used to be able to outspend other teams, but it never led to winning the Cup. Outspending is not the answer. Spending WISELY is the answer, as well as having an amount that you're willing to spend on a player and sticking to it. That's what I'm hoping Tre will do.
All I am saying is that they had a plan and that plan was based on the cap increasing like it had every other year.

I am not saying it was a good plan, I am saying we don't really know how that plan played out, because it never did.

Would this team look different if they kept Hyman and added a D and G? A rising cap would have allowed for that.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Don't want to trade for anyone that the team might have to overpay to keep.

That's why Hronek and Shea Theodore are both not good targets, IMO.

Marner is good enough that they should be able to get someone with contract certainty. Either someone already signed with some term or someone with a lot of RFA years.
Coming off a bad year in the playoffs with one year left on an NMC is not going to get what you guys think he will get.

Reactions: JKG33

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Trade Mitch Marner to Seatle and return Adam Larsson and Shayne Wright.
Sign Matt Roy 5 × 6 million
Sign Chandler Stephenson 5 x 6 million
Sign Tyler Bertuzzi 5 x 5.5 million
Sign Max Domi 4 x 4.5 million
Sign Laurent Brossoit 3 x 3 million
Sign Nick Robertson 2 x 1.5 million
Sign Jani Hakanpaa 2 x 2.0 million
Sign Connor Dewar 2 x 1.25 million
Trade Timothy Liljegren for futures
Trade Calle Jarnkrok for futures
Trade David Kampf for futures

Bertuzzi / Matthews / Domi
Knies / Stephenson/ Nylander
Robertson / Tavares / Wright
McMann / Holmberg / Dewar
Grebenkin

Reilly / Larsson
McCabe / Roy
Benoit / Hakanpaa
Timmins

Brossoit
Woll

Total Cap Hit: $87,053,000

IMO, that's a much more well rounded hockey team than Toronto iced in 2023-2024. Play Wright on Tavares' wing and give him some situational opportunities at center. When he needs a breather, Grebenkin slots in at 3RW or 4RW. IMO, in one off season you will have upgraded at 2C, 3C, 1RHD, 2RHD, G.

Last edited:

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

Grebenkin

Reilly / Larsson
McCabe / Roy
Benoit / Hakanpaa
Timmins

Brossoit
Woll

IMO, that's a much more well rounded hockey team than Toronto iced in 2023-2024. Play Wright on Tavares' wing and give him some situational opportunities at center. When he needs a breather, Grebenkin slots in at 3RW or 4RW. IMO, in one off season you will have upgraded at 2C, 3C, 1RHD, 2RHD, G.
I have been thinking (and posting) about similar moves. I think you might have even overpaid a few UFAs there too, but that tjisr means that these are doable signings.

It's amazing how much different we look if we can move Marner, immediately and radically different. Turning him and his cap space into Wright, Larsson and Roy is a dramatic improvement.

You have Grebenkin as the extra, I have Cowan. Grebenkin can be a Marlie and Cowan cannot. That's a factor for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: HolyCrap

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If they trade Marner I’m fine with bringing in Lindholm.

Will help transition Tavares down the lineup
His fancys are already showing decline
He's a hard pass for me

Coming off a bad year in the playoffs with one year left on an NMC is not going to get what you guys think he will get.

So we should trade him for your **** house offer? I'd rather let him walk next season
Yup. This forum simultaneously over values what Marner will fetch in a trade, while under valuing what these UFAs will sign for
Yes yes, everybody is a moron except you

The enlightened one, who's bringing his wisdom from on high and is always right

Reactions: TMLAM34

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada

Grebenkin

Reilly / Larsson
McCabe / Roy
Benoit / Hakanpaa
Timmins

Brossoit
Woll

That's a lot to do in one off season but definitely plenty of moves there that I'd like to see or could live with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad