GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Grebenkin is a wildcard for me. Based off his numbers in the KHL and others who have transitioned to the NHL, he’ll probably be able to crack the roster.

I can see him doing really well with a player like Nylander but you’d have to go out and find a pretty strong defensively responsible center.

He should be playing in AHL baring a massive preseason

I still think Leafs will get bunch of one year or show me contracts. There will be a lot of them

Reactions: Americanadian

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
So what's everyone's opinion on Markstrom link?

I wouldn't mind if we can send a contract the other way like Jarnkrok

He'll only cost 2.5 more than Sammy did. He can hold the fort for another year or two

He still has a lot of mile left in him

Depends on what it costs us.
Don't love it, but I also don't hate it. I like the idea of Markstrom more then the idea of signing Brossoit, you know Markstrom is a starting goalie who can play a lot of games compared to Brossoit whose played a max of 24 games at age 31.

It'll come down to the return for him, but Toronto needs stability in net and on the back end.

Last edited:

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Given the (@$(T#& Capitals have purchased CapFriendly, and are going to shut it down, I figured I'd work on my mock scenario one last time, in honour of what a great resource it's been. I just need a goalie...

Trades​

Edit

TOR​

1. Wright, Shane
  2. 2024 1st round pick (SEA)

SEA​

1. Marner, Mitchell

Edit

TOR​

1. McBain, Jack
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (UTA)

UTA​

1. Järnkrok, Calle
  2. Kämpf, David
  3. Robertson, Nicholas

Free Agent Signings​

RFAYEARSCAP HIT

Dewar, Connor
2$892,500

Robertson, Nicholas
3$1,200,000

Gregor, Noah
2$800,000

Steeves, Alex
2$850,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT

Domi, Max
4$4,000,000

Montour, Brandon
5$7,500,000

DeMelo, Dylan
4$4,570,000

Roy, Matt
4$4,500,000

Kane, Patrick
2$4,000,000

Draft Picks - Click draft pick to insert into trade​

DRAFTROUND 1ROUND 2ROUND 3ROUND 4ROUND 5ROUND 6ROUND 7
Logo of the TOR

Logo of the SEA
Logo of the UTA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR

Logo of the NSH

Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR

Logo of the OTT
ROSTER

LONG-TERM OUTLOOK

EMBED

TEXT-EMBED

ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES
Tooltip
BONUSESCAP SPACE
22$87,500,000$21,545,500$0$3,062,500$4,954,500
Delete PlayerBuyoutAdd to Trade

Prorated Cap Hit

Roster​

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Domi, Max
$4,000,000
C, RW
UFA
Matthews, Auston
$13,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
Kane, Patrick
$4,000,000
RW
UFA
McMann, Bobby
$1,350,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Tavares, John
$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
Waivers Exempt
Cowan, Easton
$904,667
LW, C
RFA - 3
Waivers Exempt
Knies, Matthew
$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Waivers Exempt
Wright, Shane
$886,667 (
Performance Bonus
$3,062,500)
C
RFA - 3
Nylander, William
$11,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 8
Gregor, Noah
$800,000
LW, RW
RFA
McBain, Jack
$1,599,999
C, LW
RFA - 1
Dewar, Connor
$892,500
LW, C
RFA
Reaves, Ryan
$1,350,000
RW
UFA - 2
Holmberg, Pontus
$800,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
RW5
LW6
Roster created at CapFriendly.com | Follow on Twitter @CapFriendly
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Rielly, Morgan
$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
Montour, Brandon
$7,500,000
RD
UFA
Woll, Joseph
$766,667
G
RFA - 1
McCabe, Jake
$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Roy, Matt
$4,500,000
RD
UFA
G2
Benoit, Simon
$1,350,000
LD
UFA - 3
DeMelo, Dylan
$4,570,000
Edit

RD
UFA
G3
Timmins, Conor
$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 1
RD4
That D corps is a dream come true and would be head and shoulders above anything we’ve ever iced before and any other team.

If Treliving could pull that off, I’m building his statue right now.
Grebenkin is a wildcard for me. Based off his numbers in the KHL and others who have transitioned to the NHL, he’ll probably be able to crack the roster.

I can see him doing really well with a player like Nylander but you’d have to go out and find a pretty strong defensively responsible center.
You nailed it.

That is a line that needs Lindholm at centre .

Reactions: aingefan

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
That D corps is a dream come true and would be head and shoulders above anything we’ve ever iced before and any other team.

If Treliving could pull that off, I’m building his statue right now.

You nailed it.

That is a line that needs Lindholm at centre .
Would love Lindholm but not for 8 years
He can be a good replacement for Tavares after Tavares is gone

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I would really like to see how Nylander does with a C like Lindholm.

It would get him much closer to earning his new salary than anyone else on the team not named Matthews and gives us a very difficult Top 6 to defend against.
I don't think Lindholm is that much better than Tavares. Maybe for responsible but Tavares still more offensively been better

Nylanders number actually may drop. Except for that one year Elias hasn't done much last 5 years offensively

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019

I think he has the best shot out of the young forwards to make the jump immediately. He may need some time to adapt to the smaller rink but his game is probably better suited to the smaller rink anyways.

If they can spread Knies, Grebenkin, and McMann on separate lines, that would help balance out the lines.
These players all have two-way power games that contrast well against the more finesse-oriented offensive wingers.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I agree, though one of the problems is within the past year we already haven't with Matthews/Nylander.

Creates a double standard that we'll pay our top players clearly above market comparables, and in order to afford that under the cap, we're asking other players to sign at or below their market comparables. Which I would imagine creates resentment.

I honestly don't care, work out what you think he's worth to you then stick to your valuation

He had 10 goals and is poor defensively, I'm not giving that any more than 3.5M

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Instead of giving Domi a pay rise let's just get Roslovic?

W/C type who will give you around half a ppg
Shouldn't break the bank and only 27 years old

I don't think we need to be silly, there's plenty of options in UFA this year

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

A better play, in my opinion, would be to:

1. Go relatively economical in goal. There’s not a bona fide No. 1 available in free agency, and I expect it’ll be extremely difficult for Treliving to pry either Jacob Markstrom or Linus Ullmark out of Calgary and Boston — especially when teams like the New Jersey Devils can dangle a top-10 pick in return. That leaves someone like Laurent Brossoit as a tandem option to split starts with Joseph Woll, who, it should be said, Leafs management remains very, very high on.

Brossoit hasn’t played a ton, but he has put up good numbers the past few seasons. His top priority as a 31-year-old UFA is going to be to go to a good team where he can start frequently. The Leafs fit the bill, and my understanding is there is mutual interest.

It’s hard to project exactly what he’ll cost given how thin the UFA goalie class is, but my guess is it’ll be a relatively short-term deal for around $3 million.

2. Chase the big fish on defence and at centre. In an ideal world, you add a top-pair RD option to play with Morgan Rielly. And you find a centre who can challenge John Tavares for the 2C role and balance out your top-nine forwards a lot better than they were last season.

Is that possible?

I think so. If someone like Brossoit (or Anthony Stolarz) is their guy in net, that leaves close to $13 million to spend and three roster holes. One of those can be a cheap third-pair defenceman, leaving $12 million or so to split between a RD and a centre.

Now, with the cap going up, and projected to go up even more aggressively in the future, it’s possible the UFA contracts this year get way out of hand and the Leafs get outbid for some of the top talent. (I’ve already heard from player agents who are excited about the possibility of how lucrative July 1 is going to be compared to the past few years.)

But there are enough UFA options on the blue line and down the middle that Treliving should be able to add difference makers at both positions this summer. If they fail to get a centre, I believe they’ll readjust and focus on bolstering their depth at wing, with someone like veteran David Perron one key target.

3. Perhaps most importantly, try to shed more misused salary to change the mix and improve higher in the lineup.

It’s worth noting again that this cap picture above is before any trades are made. And there are more candidates to be dealt than just the ones with big contracts and NMCs.

Liljegren at $2.1 million on the third pair, for example, stands out as a potential trade chip, given he may not fit with new coach Craig Berube, stylistically. The Leafs could also move on from someone(s) like David Kämpf or Dewar and redirect those savings to add impact UFAs.

A couple subtractions like that could mean the Leafs have closer to $14.5 million to address two of their biggest needs
, which would allow them to be bigger game hunters for players like Brady Skjei, Matt Roy, Matt Duchene, Perron and others.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
1. Talbot
2. DeSmith
3. Stolarz
4. Brossoit
5. Wedgewood

1 elderly starter, 1 tandem guy and 3 really solid backups. I don't think any of these guys are out of our price range if they choose to go the FA route.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
""

In the latest news, the Daily Faceoff’s Frank Seravalli discussed the route he believes the club will opt to take in the coming weeks on the newest episode of The DFO Rundown – a couple of weeks removed from his comment stating he believes there’s a five percent or less chance Marner is back in a Leafs uniform next season.

“I know what his (Marner’s) camp has said and I’m not doubting them at all and their ability or interest to hold firm on the full no move. It’s just that I think the Leafs are going to make a play and they’re going to basically back them into a corner over the next three weeks that says, Mitch, it’s been great, but we’re moving on. Whether it’s now or eight months from now, your time is up.”

This comment came five days after Leafs general manager Brad Treliving stated he wouldn’t move the star forward for the sake of moving him.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
1. Talbot
2. DeSmith
3. Stolarz
4. Brossoit
5. Wedgewood

1 elderly starter, 1 tandem guy and 3 really solid backups. I don't think any of these guys are out of our price range if they choose to go the FA route.
Talbot lost his job to Rittich, that's all that needs to be said on him. Desmith and Wedgewood are pretty dime a dozen type backups. Brossoit and Stolarz maybe have 1B
""

In the latest news, the Daily Faceoff’s Frank Seravalli discussed the route he believes the club will opt to take in the coming weeks on the newest episode of The DFO Rundown – a couple of weeks removed from his comment stating he believes there’s a five percent or less chance Marner is back in a Leafs uniform next season.

“I know what his (Marner’s) camp has said and I’m not doubting them at all and their ability or interest to hold firm on the full no move. It’s just that I think the Leafs are going to make a play and they’re going to basically back them into a corner over the next three weeks that says, Mitch, it’s been great, but we’re moving on. Whether it’s now or eight months from now, your time is up.”

This comment came five days after Leafs general manager Brad Treliving stated he wouldn’t move the star forward for the sake of moving him.

I sure hope Franky is right on that one

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Lost in the fact that Mitch may play out the last year under contract is that he's probably busting his ass right now in the gym to cash in on his free agent season, and that he should have a great year.

I make it a strategy to go for upcoming UFA's in my hockey pool picks and more often than not they have career years. (Example, I took Reinhart this season)

While we may lose him for nothing, if you can call $11m in cap space "nothing" we may get a chance to see him have a career year and maybe even grow a set come playoff time

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Lost in the fact that Mitch may play out the last year under contract is that he's probably busting his ass right now in the gym to cash in on his free agent season, and that he should have a great year.

I make it a strategy to go for upcoming UFA's in my hockey pool picks and more often than not they have career years. (Example, I took Reinhart this season)

While we may lose him for nothing, if you can call $11m in cap space "nothing" we may get a chance to see him have a career year and maybe even grow a set come playoff time
He works hard every off season to get ready, every player does.

the real Fox mulder

Dec 4, 2022
The only way we sign Lindholm, is that Tavares is traded this off-season and the chances of that happening are close to zero.

Although I wouldn't mind if we sign Chandler Stephenson. He'll be a good third line center for us.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland

You mean like nylander just did and then disappeared for the rest of the year

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I scrape their data once a month for my own tools. I’m sure a lot of people have it.

If JT refuses to waive, why on earth are the Leafs offering him 5M? If he isn’t leaving Toronto then he can play for 1M. Basic supply and demand.
You're dreaming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad