GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Those 7x7 predictions on Lindholm seem a lil rich given his past regular season, but still I’d really like the player if a Marner move occurs. Backup plan would be Wennberg, different class of player but for the same role, efffectively trying to create a 2a/2b middle six.
And if the Marner move includes an ELC center with upside, then I’d love the depth down the middle long term. Premium target being Wright. Maybe Rehkopf.

Matthews
Lindholm/Wennberg
Tavares
Wright/Rehkopf - starts on Tavares’ wing
Dewar
With
Holmberg
Maybe Domi on the roster.

Minimum 7 capable C’s, with Domi for a top six injury replacement, Holmberg for bottom six, is a real diverse, quality and effective group. With the next middle six centre (post Tavares) developing with a strong vet.

And then you have:
Minten
Quillan
Cowan pushing up from below.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
He shouldn’t. But yes bidding war might get out of hand.

Forsling is better, 5 years younger and got 5.75M
Top pair, RD, can run a PP, yea he's gunna get paid. Even with a lot of top 4 D on the UFA market he's the best one available.

Only way he takes 6.something is to keep the Panthers squad together

Those 7x7 predictions on Lindholm seem a lil rich given his past regular season, but still I’d really like the player if a Marner move occurs. Backup plan would be Wennberg, different class of player but for the same role, efffectively trying to create a 2a/2b middle six.
And if the Marner move includes an ELC center with upside, then I’d love the depth down the middle long term. Premium target being Wright. Maybe Rehkopf.

Matthews
Lindholm/Wennberg
Tavares
Wright/Rehkopf - starts on Tavares’ wing
Dewar
With
Holmberg
Maybe Domi on the roster.

Minimum 7 capable C’s, with Domi for a top six injury replacement, Holmberg for bottom six, is a real diverse, quality and effective group. With the next middle six centre (post Tavares) developing with a strong vet.

And then you have:
Minten
Quillan
Cowan pushing up from below.
7x7 isn't even that rich for Lindholm. Like Montour, he plays a premium position, is the best UFA at his position, and can play all situations. 2 bad months in Vancouver won't diminish his value, especially when he had a better playoff

Reactions: Frostitute

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Blais is better than most/all of them, with the added bonus of potential for a top 6 role.

The Blues don't have anyone near the talent level of the overpaid 4, so he could slide in a nicely as a complimentary winger here

A 28 year old who scored 1 goal last year is going to be a top-6 player on a team that’s wants to wins a cup?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Top pair, RD, can run a PP, yea he's gunna get paid. Even with a lot of top 4 D on the UFA market he's the best one available.

Only way he takes 6.something is to keep the Panthers squad together

For what it’s worth, I said starts with a 6, not 6. I always regarded it as mid to high 6s. I also said “should” start with a 6

I fully recognize teams can get real stupid in free agency.

If Montour stays with the Panthers his deal should come in under Forsling quite frankly. It won’t, and that’s why I doubt he remains a Panther. That, and I think Reinhart is their priority between the two

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Loading up NHL 24 in my mind here. Guentzel probably signs for what? 8x9? 8x8.5? Let's go with 9 on the high end. Obviously this is pure fantasy because it pretty much relies on Marner being traded However let's go down fantasy land now!

We brought in Guentzel, I'd probably choose to bring back Domi over Bert. Like that he can play C/W also will most likely be cheaper. I'd build out the top 6 like the following:

Knies - Matthews - Domi
Guentzel - Tavares - Nylander

However, this is dependent on what we get for Marner. If we get an ELC C like Wright. I'd do the following

Knies - Matthews - Domi
Guentzel - Wright - Nylander
Cowan - Tavares - McMann
Dewar - Holmberg - Reaves

Again fantasy land but depending on what you trade Marner, Jankrok, Kampf for. You'd probably have about 20m to sign 2-3 defenders and a goalie. God I may go do this in NHL 24!
Ignoring the implausibility of such a lineup manifesting and speaking hypothetically only, that is a lights-out forward lineup if, and only if, Wright can handle Top 6 duties in the NHL next year and Cowan can hold up as a teen. 3 lines are an actual threat to score in that lineup. I actually like Knies and Domi with AM34 there as well.

In reality it's going to be difficult to make major changes this offseason. The offseason after that needs to bring fireworks though.

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
I don’t know this guy at all, but I like acquiring young D men with potential, especially if we need to ride out the year until Marner’s gone. Spend all the money available on D this year, next year decide what to do with the 22 mil from losing JT and Marner……..
Yes, and a goalie as well. To me, it's a big risk to sign one of the UFA goalies and go into the season with him and Woll. So if that's the case, we will need to spend more money there as well.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He's gunna get upper 7's, possibly even 8 if he goes for the max money he can. 6 is highly unlikely

Montour could be a risk or he could be the kind of change in complexion we need from a first pairing guy. Seems like the Panthers pair him with a LHD stay at home guy so he's basically your mirror Morgan Rielly but with a shot, plays with pace and hits...

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
A 28 year old who scored 1 goal last year is going to be a top-6 player on a team that’s wants to wins a cup?
The cup dreams are gone when the team has 4 top-10 cap hits. You need cheap talent to fill the holes. If you pay attention to the Blues, Blais looks like he could be that Bunting/Hyman type of complimentary winger.
For what it’s worth, I said starts with a 6, not 6. I always regarded it as mid to high 6s. I also said “should” start with a 6

I fully recognize teams can get real stupid in free agency.

If Montour stays with the Panthers his deal should come in under Forsling quite frankly. It won’t, and that’s why I doubt he remains a Panther. That, and I think Reinhart is their priority between the two
I still say though even mid 6's is him taking a massive discount.

Forsling was a different situation. He's never had a big contract, I get why he'd take the long term deal early. He's also not a flashy player like Montour.

If Montour comes to the Panthers with say $6.75 in mind, they'd find a way to make it work. They can easily take the L and move Knight, or trade Ekblad who will be more expensive

Montour could be a risk or he could be the kind of change in complexion we need from a first pairing guy. Seems like the Panthers pair him with a LHD stay at home guy so he's basically your mirror Morgan Rielly but with a shot, plays with pace and hits...
I agree. Put him next to McCabe, and get a right handed McCabe to pair with Rielly, then Benoit-Liljgren on the bottom pair and you've got the best defence this team has seen since they acquired Brian Leech as a rental 20+ years ago

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This is the thing…
That 18.5m we have is gonna be gone pretty quick if we re-sign the likes of Domi and or Bertuzzi. They’ll probably take close to 9 million to re-up, leaving only 9 million to sign that extra grit/toughness and to fill out our defensive core.

That’s why we need to get rid of the likes of Kampf/Jarnkrok/Rielly to free up capspace to change this team (if Marner decides to stay).

I’d like to add the likes of Joshua + Trenin to the bottom 6. Also Roy and Tanev to the backend. (And if we do deal Rielly, we’ll need to add some offense to the backend maybe Montour)

Not to mention we still need a #1 goalie…

I feel like having both Domi and Bertuzzi back may be an unnecessary 'luxury.' Not like they were part of this especially successful program but you pick one and shift the other guy's money onto the back end, or bring in a Dakota Joshua to play a true power game on the wing.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Don’t get me wrong, I’d be pretty happy if we signed Montour to a reasonable deal this offseason. There isn’t any question in my mind that he can help us. But he has rather quickly become a little bit overrated.

He is an offensive defensemen more than he is a two way defender and he has only 1 season at better than 37 points which was a year ago when he got 72 (the year that really put him on the map, changed the perception of him tbh). This year his production returned back to his normal (33 in 66) but people still think of him as that 70 point guy I feel. Before joining the panthers 3 years ago he was a 20-30 point defenseman with suspect play in his own zone.

He had 1 powerplay goal all this last season. So not exactly a powerplay dynamo. I also would argue he is not the QB of their powerplay, in much the same way Rielly isn’t for ours.

Good player. Plenty to offer. But at already 30, if you’re backing up the brinks truck for him to the tune of something like 8Mx7 you’re probably making a mistake imo.

Still very interested, but the cost cannot get out of control. Partly because of value, partly because we won’t be winning a bidding war with our cap situation

Last edited:

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
For fun,

Tavares (to be extended by Utah) for Conor Geekie + Shea Weber contract

Who says no

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Don’t get me wrong, I’d be pretty happy if we signed Montour to a reasonable deal this offseason. There isn’t any question in my mind that he can help us. But he has rather quickly become a little bit overrated.

He is an offensive defensemen more than he is a two way defender and he has only 1 season at better than 37 points which was a year ago when he got 72 (the year that put him on the map). This year his production returned back to his normal but people still think of him as that 70 point guy I feel. Before joining the panthers 3 years ago he was a 20-30 point defenseman with suspect play in his own zone.

He had 1 powerplay goal all this last season. So not exactly a powerplay dynamo. I also would argue he is not the QB of their powerplay, in much the same way Rielly isn’t for ours.

Good player. Plenty to offer. But at already 30, if you’re backing up the brinks truck for him to the tune of something like 8Mx7 you’re probably making a mistake imo.

Still very interested, but the cost cannot get out of control. Partly because of value, partly because we won’t be winning a bidding war with our cap situation

I don't think a "reasonable" deal is to be had with Brandon Montour. Just comes down to how much you think this dynamic player is worth, is his Cup finals appearances translatable in Toronto and how much belief that missing ingredient will have a x multiplier effect on the transition game, special teams and character of the team for you to empty the vault and build with him as a centerpiece on D.

On the downside, he doesn't have much of a career resume outside of the past 2 seasons. Probably isn't an old 30. Has always been a very athletic player, but was also expendable after a few years in Anaheim and a complete tire fire in Buffalo.

Real unique player and opportunity but has a lot of risk too given his up and down career.

As an alternative, maybe Mackenzie Weegar is a better alternative, but you'd have to trade with Calgary for him. His cap hit would be cheaper than a UFA signing though.

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012

He is an offensive defensemen more than he is a two way defender and he has only 1 season at better than 37 points which was a year ago when he got 72 (the year that really put him on the map, changed the perception of him tbh). This year his production returned back to his normal (33 in 66) but people still think of him as that 70 point guy I feel. Before joining the panthers 3 years ago he was a 20-30 point defenseman with suspect play in his own zone.

I’d much rather have Skjei at 8 than Montour

Reactions: JKG33

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

For the most part I agree. He's still a top pairing D, but I don't love him for the Leafs. He'd obviously make the team better but there's other ways to spend the money. Let someone else pay him.
I don't think a "reasonable" deal is to be had with Brandon Montour. Just comes down to how much you think this dynamic player is worth, is his Cup finals appearances translatable in Toronto and how much belief that missing ingredient will have a x multiplier effect on the transition game, special teams and character of the team for you to empty the vault and build with him as a centerpiece on D.

On the downside, he doesn't have much of a career resume outside of the past 2 seasons. Probably isn't an old 30. Has always been a very athletic player, but was also expendable after a few years in Anaheim and a complete tire fire in Buffalo.

Real unique player and opportunity but has a lot of risk too given his up and down career.

As an alternative, maybe Mackenzie Weegar is a better alternative, but you'd have to trade with Calgary for him. His cap hit would be cheaper than a UFA signing though.
Man I'd love to get Weegar so badly. There's a guy this team needs and obviously Treliving likes him
I’d much rather have Skjei at 8 than Montour
Agreed. I don't love him at 8 either, and I think he'll stay in the US, but he'd be a better fit stylisticly just wish he was a RD

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Why isn't there more pressure on Tavares to waive his NMC? He is objectively the most overpaid player on the team.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Why isn't there more pressure on Tavares to waive his NMC? He is objectively the most overpaid player on the team.
Return and reputation.

Marner will return something and escalated contract discussions to get a premium number. JT would basically be a contract removal IMO and there's some good will given we know other offers were higher and there's no reports of an ultimatum to come up to SJs number.

Reactions: Captain Crunch

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
There should be, but we're not heartless enough. It'd be better if we were. There's probably still that respect that he chose to sign here. It'd be nice if our management put the team ahead of doing right by our guys.

Reactions: Brobust

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Leafs reportedly to target Carolina's Brett Pesce​

Brad Treliving could make this addition over the summer!

It's going to be a critical offseason for the Toronto Maple Leafs, who have several decisions to make with pending free-agents to-be in Max Domi, Tyler Bertuzzi, Joel Edmundson, T.J. Brodie and Ilya Samsonov.

There's also the futures of Mitch Marner and John Tavares for general manager Brad Treliving to discuss, but he's got a bit of runway with them, as their respective contracts each have one more season remaining. But in the meantime, he'll also be considering making potential additions to the roster in the summer.

And according to reports, one free-agent that Treliving could consider attempting to bring to the Maple Leafs is Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Brett Pesce. David Pagnotta of The Fourth Period has indicated that the Leafs will be among the teams interested in Pesce's services if he ultimately lands on the open market:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
The cup dreams are gone when the team has 4 top-10 cap hits. You need cheap talent to fill the holes.

If we're not trying to win the Cup, why do we need to sign a 28 year old 4th liner? We have cheap talent in the minors.

If you pay attention to the Blues, Blais looks like he could be that Bunting/Hyman type of complimentary winger.

I paid attention. After he played a good half season, he had a garbage full season.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

It's going to be a critical offseason for the Toronto Maple Leafs, who have several decisions to make with pending free-agents to-be in Max Domi, Tyler Bertuzzi, Joel Edmundson, T.J. Brodie and Ilya Samsonov.

There's also the futures of Mitch Marner and John Tavares for general manager Brad Treliving to discuss, but he's got a bit of runway with them, as their respective contracts each have one more season remaining. But in the meantime, he'll also be considering making potential additions to the roster in the summer.

And according to reports, one free-agent that Treliving could consider attempting to bring to the Maple Leafs is Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Brett Pesce. David Pagnotta of The Fourth Period has indicated that the Leafs will be among the teams interested in Pesce's services if he ultimately lands on the open market:

He's already starting to show some sign of wear imo, I think that contract will blow well before he's even halfway through it

I think some interesting young forwards will come onto the market because teams don't want to go to arbitration, I'd be looking for a center but I think there's going to be good wingers going for lowish cap hits so I'd wait a few days before I explored that market

Spend money on one top pair D, one middle 6 center and a good tandem goaltender then fill in the rest of the roster with cheaper younger guys to keep the dollars down

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Return and reputation.

Marner will return something and escalated contract discussions to get a premium number. JT would basically be a contract removal IMO and there's some good will given we know other offers were higher and there's no reports of an ultimatum to come up to SJs number.
Tavares is basically 3rd year Marleau at the moment. We’d probably have to give up more (a good pick) or retain a portion of salary to even move him for 1 year. Not worth it. He’s not getting 7 or 11 again.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
He's already starting to show some sign of wear imo, I think that contract will blow well before he's even halfway through it

I think some interesting young forwards will come onto the market because teams don't want to go to arbitration, I'd be looking for a center but I think there's going to be good wingers going for lowish cap hits so I'd wait a few days before I explored that market

Spend money on one top pair D, one middle 6 center and a good tandem goaltender then fill in the rest of the roster with cheaper younger guys to keep the dollars down

my problem is there's no such thing as a good tandem goalie imo. with goalies being so inconsistant year to year you spend a little bit of money like we did on Samsonov and it could turn out to be a waste. I get Woll has gotten injuries through out his career and that's a risk, but when healthy he's played really well besides coming off his ankle injury last year which he was handled poorly. so I think I would sign 2 cheap veteran guys that you could use at different times when there playing well as well as giving Hildeby a few games at some point.

a bigger question is do we take a risk and re-sign Woll this summer to a 3 year 2-2.5 million extension hoping he breaks out and kicks the injury bug. that would see him signed for the next 4 seasons. or do we wait and watch him have a great year and stay healthy and require 4-5 million on an extension.

my money would be spent on two top 4 Dmen and a middle six center who is defensively responsible and is good on the PK.

Reactions: uncleben

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

I like Pesce, but I am hesitant to give him term, which he is probably going to want

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
a bigger question is do we take a risk and re-sign Woll this summer to a 3 year 2-2.5 million extension hoping he breaks out and kicks the injury bug. that would see him signed for the next 4 seasons. or do we wait and watch him have a great year and stay healthy and require 4-5 million on an extension.
Interesting thought, Canes signed Kotchekov 2Mx4 after only five or ten games, and seems to be working out for them so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad