GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I love much of this forward group... but what money do we have left here for D? What's that look like?
Only thing is that doesn't leave a lot for D. If Guentzel comes in Tavares would probably have to go too
In this fantasy land I gave Jake 8.75 and Max 4m. It really comes down to what the cap coming back for Marner is. Assumming Kampf/Jankrok are gone for picks. It gives you around 20m.

Using some of the projections thrown around It's enough to bring in Roy + Tanev at a minimum. I don't think I really lowballed anyone when it comes to contracts, I also just threw together the d pairings.
yayyyyy.png

Reactions: Fogelhund

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Edmunson comes down to price tag for me

Curious what he'd want on a 2 year extension, 3 mil? His current caphit? Vs how low would he drop the aav on say a 3-4 year deal.

I'd be fine with one of him or Boosh staying for the bottom pairing as long as they also targeted a couple puck moving guys in free agency.

It would be nice not having to pay rental picks for guys like them again

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
I think Edmundson is fine in a vacuum, but not if we already have Benoit. We can’t have too many of those guys in the lineup, there’s no one who can move the puck.
We would need more than 7 NHL D for the season, and this would allow rotation on guys that have playstyles which tear through the body in an 82 game regular season.

And don't forget that we have Timmins, who is an excellent puck moving defenceman for the third pair, on top of Liljegren, who'd both be going against lesser competition next season.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
In this fantasy land I gave Jake 8.75 and Max 4m. It really comes down to what the cap coming back for Marner is. Assumming Kampf/Jankrok are gone for picks. It gives you around 20m.

Using some of the projections thrown around It's enough to bring in Roy + Tanev at a minimum. I don't think I really lowballed anyone when it comes to contracts, I also just threw together the d pairings. View attachment 880291
I think Guentzel gets $10ish but otherwise yea you're probably not far off. Add in a couple $1m forwards and D and that still leaves $4m ish for a goalie

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I dunno, the way Hronek disappeared down the stretch I wouldn't wanna pay him $8m
I don't think he's worth 8 either, but if they can negotiate him down to even the Rielly deal, we'd have our best top-pair since Kaberle and McCabe. I'd rather overpay for Hronek than see Rielly-Lyubuskin as our top-pair ever again.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
What’s the projection for $$$ And Joshua? I thought I saw some Canuck info saying $4m would be the max.? Do we have room for that? I think he is a very useful player. He was injured a bit last year though. And scratched a few games.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Can someone explain to me why Nashville is moving off of Carrier?

They have like $25M+ in cap space, have only 4 dmen signed for next season having just tradee McDonagh, and Carrier was already 2.5m for them, so it's not as if he is due for some massive raise.

Isn't this a bit of a red flag if they aren't interested in bringing him back? Or is this him wanting to potentially go elsewhere?
Making room for Marner.

Reactions: thewave

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I don't think he's worth 8 either, but if they can negotiate him down to even the Rielly deal, we'd have our best top-pair since Kaberle and McCabe. I'd rather overpay for Hronek than see Rielly-Lyubuskin as our top-pair ever again.
I think if he could be negotiated down Vancouver would sign him themselves.

And I dunno that's really a pairing I'd want. Hughes-Hronek weren't great in the playoffs. Rielly and Hughes are both the types that work better with a Luke Schenn type beside them.

McCabe-Hronek
Rielly-x

That could work depending on the X you bring in

Reactions: ToneDog

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I like Trenin as a third line option.

Duhaime is good 4th line option. Big, fast, fights. Plays on the PK.
We were reportedly interested in both players at the trade deadline before Colorado grabbed both

Curious what he'd want on a 2 year extension, 3 mil? His current caphit? Vs how low would he drop the aav on say a 3-4 year deal.

I'd be fine with one of him or Boosh staying for the bottom pairing as long as they also targeted a couple puck moving guys in free agency.

If Brendan Dillon is cheaper, I prefer him over both

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Can someone explain to me why Nashville is moving off of Carrier?

They have like $25M+ in cap space, have only 4 dmen signed for next season having just tradee McDonagh, and Carrier was already 2.5m for them, so it's not as if he is due for some massive raise.

Isn't this a bit of a red flag if they aren't interested in bringing him back? Or is this him wanting to potentially go elsewhere?

They were kind of dicking both him and Fabbro around this year.

One game playing top pair with Josi and the next, healthy scratch.

Reactions: Erndog

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Its not gonna be us trading for Guentzel. Chicago actually does make a lot of sense. Wonder if he would sign there longterm
He’s a UFA so I would guess if Chicago is getting his rights they have a pretty good idea about their chances of re-signing him are. Whenever a team trades for a player’s rights it’s a good guess that the team trading him have allowed other teams to talk to his agent. Plus who wouldn’t want to get paid loads of money to play with Bedard and an upcoming team

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
I think pesce is staying in US. Supposedly we weren’t on his 15 team trade list so I doubt he comes here now.

I am going after theodore from vegas and trading marner for him. If that doesnt happen, then go after montour. Tanev and zadorov are my other signings. Roy also probably wants to stay in US.

Up front, its between monahan and lindholm. Lindholm will cost around 7 mill.

Reactions: supermann_98

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think pesce is staying in US. Supposedly we weren’t on his 15 team trade list so I doubt he comes here now.

I am going after theodore from vegas and trading marner for him. If that doesnt happen, then go after montour. Tanev and zadorov are my other signings. Roy also probably wants to stay in US.

Up front, its between monahan and lindholm. Lindholm will cost around 7 mill.

If I struck out on Roy as my first target, I am trying really hard to land both Tanev and DeMelo.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
We have to try and construct a tougher, grittier team with Marner in the lineup (as much as I wish he’d wave his NMC).

Clearly we don’t have the cap space to do that so who are we dealing off the team to free up the needed space?

Jarnkrok ?
Kampf?
Robertson?
Gregor?
Rielly?
Timmins?
Liljegren?

Not much there with the exception of Rielly in terms of cap space. But with that being said, I’d have no problem dealing Rielly in the right deal to free up cap.

Kampf and Jarnkrok should both go as we can get better suited bottom 6 forwards for similar cap hits if not cheaper.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
We have to try and construct a tougher, grittier team with Marner in the lineup (as much as I wish he’d wave his NMC).

Clearly we don’t have the cap space to do that so who are we dealing off the team to free up the needed space?

Jarnkrok ?
Kampf?
Robertson?
Gregor?
Rielly?
Timmins?
Liljegren?

Not much there with the exception of Rielly in terms of cap space. But with that being said, I’d have no problem dealing Rielly in the right deal to free up cap.

Kampf and Jarnkrok should both go as we can get better suited bottom 6 forwards for similar cap hits if not cheaper.
Every year we get "grittier", tougher, more resilient

And how is $18.5 million projected cap space not enough to bring in some tough guys??

What do people actually want?
I'm not trying to be facetious either, I'm genuinely curious, what would actually make us tougher in a way that would also make us better, that we can't currently solve from purely a financial standpoint?

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

I dont know where he fits to be honest ...I imagine a Benoit - Edmundson pairing would be a d-zone quicksand nightmare where we get trapped in our zone perpetually as neither is a great skater, nor great at clearing the zone.
It would basically be keep away until we took a penalty, or allowed a goal.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016

Jarnkrok ?
Kampf?
Robertson?
Gregor?
Rielly?
Timmins?
Liljegren?

It's not so much about being tougher and grittier. We've been doing that the last 2 years and our team has gotten significantly slower. What we need are players that have skill but also play heavy and with an edge. We have too many soft skilled players. Our team needs some Lawson Crouse type players who can still put the puck in the net.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
It's not so much about being tougher and grittier. We've been doing that the last 2 years and our team has gotten significantly slower. What we need are players that have skill but also play heavy and with an edge. We have too many soft skilled players. Our team needs some Lawson Crouse type players who can still put the puck in the net.

The team needs to decide how they want to play, and then add players who fit in.

Reactions: Americanadian

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
If I struck out on Roy as my first target, I am trying really hard to land both Tanev and DeMelo.
Tanev on a relatively short deal works. He should be able to play beside Reilly for at least 2 years.

I suspect the American defenders are unlikely to sign in Toronto.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Too many soft players maybe but we have an absolute lack of skilled players. I don’t know why soft and skilled are always glued together as if they’re part of the same idea.

Guys with high end skating: Nylander, Rielly.. Gregor?
Guys with high end hands: Nylander, Marner, Matthews, sometimes Knies?
Guys with high end shots: Nylander, Matthews, Robertson, sometimes Tavares

We haven’t had anyone with high end skating, shooting, hands, or playmaking outside of Robertson, Engvall, and Spezza outside the core four in long time but we sure have had a whole bunch of medium-grit jacks of all trades that don’t have any special elements to their game.

I’d take a Grabner/Hagelin to hide on a 3rd line over Bert or whatever UFA fillers like Toffoli. If we go the grit route I need a Wilson/Jeannot type that’s going to run people through the boards, not some 20/20 guy that’s going to work hard on the forecheck but never scare anyone. Same with the D, rather overpay Zadorov to at least entertain me with hits and a cannon from the point than overpay Pesce to be Brodie 2.0.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Tanev on a relatively short deal works. He should be able to play beside Reilly for at least 2 years.

I suspect the American defenders are unlikely to sign in Toronto.

It's possible but look at a guy like McCabe who had every Canadian team EXCEPT Toronto on his NTC.

Reactions: TMLegend
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad