GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Komisarek DejaVu?
the best under the radar RHD is likely Carrier, on the smaller side, but, knows how to defend and can carry & clear the puck and only 27

Agreed here. I like him as a target too for the 4/5 role.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Carrier would be a very smart bet. I have a feeling he'll go to Montreal though.
Montreal have about 10 nhl or close to nhl ready D with lots of high end prospects ready to step in. They need to clear out D if anything.
Harris, Guhle, Hutson and Xhekaj should all play with Reinbacher and Mailloux on the cusp. Plus they have Matheson and Savard as vets.
I would actually target Barron, Kovacevic or Struble from them as a cheaper option.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Justin Barron is also a decent target.

His underlying numbers are average. He's only 22 with 94 NHL games under his belt. His NHL exposure at 22 is similar to Sandin at the same age. He's 6'2 and could pair well with Benoit on the 3rd pair with room to grow. He average 18:37/game in 48 NHL games this season. He is the same draft as Niemela.

He's stuck behind Mailloux and Reinbacher in the AHL and Savard/Kovacevic and a glut of LD playing RD at the NHL level.

I would imagine he could be acquired for a similar aged forward who is NHL ready. Maybe that's Robertson.

Reactions: Folignos Helmet

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I think Edmundson is fine in a vacuum, but not if we already have Benoit. We can’t have too many of those guys in the lineup, there’s no one who can move the puck.

Yea, I'd rather use Benoit as bottom pairing LHD, and use the ~1.5-2M in capsavings of Benoit over Edmundson in that slot and allocate that towards a more legitimate top 4 dman (eg Roy, DeMelo, Skjei, etc).

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Montreal have about 10 nhl or close to nhl ready D with lots of high end prospects ready to step in. They need to clear out D if anything.
Harris, Guhle, Hutson and Xhekaj should all play with Reinbacher and Mailloux on the cusp. Plus they have Matheson and Savard as vets.
I would actually target Barron, Kovacevic or Struble from them as a cheaper option.

Fair point. Harris, Hutson, Guhle and Xhekaj are LHDs though. Reinbacher might not be 100% ready. Mailloux will likely get a spot but could start in the AHL as well. I think they will want to improve defensively if they want to improve in the standings and I'm not sure going very young does that.

Reactions: Folignos Helmet

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Hurricanes shopping Guentzel's rights.. if he can be convinced to play with these losers give him the C and dump Marner & Tavares for whatever you can get, cap space being the real asset. You could probably get two of the UFA D we want and Guentzel for what Tavares & Marner were making.

Guentzel-Domi-Nylander
Knies-Matthews-McMann

Rielly-Roy
McCabe-Walker

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Hurricanes shopping Guentzel's rights.. if he can be convinced to play with these losers give him the C and dump Marner & Tavares for whatever you can get, cap space being the real asset. You could probably get two of the UFA D we want and Guentzel for what Tavares & Marner were making.

Guentzel-Domi-Nylander
Knies-Matthews-McMann

Rielly-Roy
McCabe-Walker

Yep sounds like it. I have very little interest in signing a big cap hit winger. It could work if Marner is traded and whatever, but I don't see it happening.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Yep sounds like it. I have very little interest in signing a big cap hit winger. It could work if Marner is traded and whatever, but I don't see it happening.

Normally I don't either, but Jake is one of the premiere playoff performers around. If he can teach Matthews and Nylander a thing or two I'd give him a blank cheque.

You're right tho it is a pipe dream

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Get Roy, change the dynamics up on the blue line. I’d also trade Lilly. As much as we harp on our forwards our D needs major upgrades. We can’t go into next season with Rielly being the only guy who can control the puck back there. Need more speed, offence on D. All contenders have that. Need more balance on our roster. I’m just not a fan of Lilly anymore. He’s had a tough few playoff years. He’s still young but how long are we going to wait for him to take the next step?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Guentzel is going to be a luxury for us we can't afford.

We need to get deeper, and not necessarily mkre top heavy.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Its not gonna be us trading for Guentzel. Chicago actually does make a lot of sense. Wonder if he would sign there longterm

Reactions: stats1

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Carrier would be a very smart bet. I have a feeling he'll go to Montreal though.
Montreal needs to unload 2-3 d-men, they cant sign any, they have way too many, and most project better than Carrier. if they weren't in the same division, they would be a sure target to try to grab one of their NHL ready D

Reactions: SprDaVE

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Loading up NHL 24 in my mind here. Guentzel probably signs for what? 8x9? 8x8.5? Let's go with 9 on the high end. Obviously this is pure fantasy because it pretty much relies on Marner being traded However let's go down fantasy land now!

We brought in Guentzel, I'd probably choose to bring back Domi over Bert. Like that he can play C/W also will most likely be cheaper. I'd build out the top 6 like the following:

Knies - Matthews - Domi
Guentzel - Tavares - Nylander

However, this is dependent on what we get for Marner. If we get an ELC C like Wright. I'd do the following

Knies - Matthews - Domi
Guentzel - Wright - Nylander
Cowan - Tavares - McMann
Dewar - Holmberg - Reaves

Again fantasy land but depending on what you trade Marner, Jankrok, Kampf for. You'd probably have about 20m to sign 2-3 defenders and a goalie. God I may go do this in NHL 24!

• Love
Reactions: JKG33

weems

Jul 3, 2008
There's so many RHD this free agency.

This is how AFP analytics projects their contracts

Brandon Montour 6 x 7.7
Matt Roy 5 x 5.8
Chris Tanev 3 x 4.4
Brett Pesce 5 x 6.2
Alexandre Carrier 3 x 3.9
Jalen Chatfield 4 x 3.6
Dylan DeMelo 4 x 5.3

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I just hope this off season, Toronto can get players on fair deals and pay matches what there real role is. Along with not having lesser players play higher in the lineup.

Tired of seeing a 5-6 d-man playing in the top 4, or a 3rd line winger ideally playing on the top line. Example Boosh playing beside 44, I liked Boosh, but he's the type of player you need to lock down for 2m~ to play on the right side on ur 3rd pairing.

Reactions: Duffman955

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Loading up NHL 24 in my mind here. Guentzel probably signs for what? 8x9? 8x8.5? Let's go with 9 on the high end. Obviously this is pure fantasy because it pretty much relies on Marner being traded However let's go down fantasy land now!

We brought in Guentzel, I'd probably choose to bring back Domi over Bert. Like that he can play C/W also will most likely be cheaper. I'd build out the top 6 like the following:

Knies - Matthews - Domi

However, this is dependent on what we get for Marner. If we get an ELC C like Wright. I'd do the following

Knies - Matthews - Domi
Cowan - Tavares - McMann

Again fantasy land but depending on what you trade Marner, Jankrok, Kampf for. You'd probably have about 20m to sign 2-3 defenders and a goalie. God I may go do this in NHL 24!
Only thing is that doesn't leave a lot for D. If Guentzel comes in Tavares would probably have to go too

Reactions: thewave

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021

Brandon Montour 6 x 7.7
Matt Roy 5 x 5.8
Chris Tanev 3 x 4.4
Brett Pesce 5 x 6.2
Jalen Chatfield 4 x 3.6
Dylan DeMelo 4 x 5.3

That’s a lot for Montour and Pesce…

At those number I like Roy, Tanev, Chatfield, and Carrier.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Roy, Tanev, Demelo, Carrier are not bad options. Hopefully the Leafs come away with at least one of them.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Knies - Matthews - Domi

Knies - Matthews - Domi
Cowan - Tavares - McMann

I love much of this forward group... but what money do we have left here for D? What's that look like?

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Can someone explain to me why Nashville is moving off of Carrier?

They have like $25M+ in cap space, have only 4 dmen signed for next season having just tradee McDonagh, and Carrier was already 2.5m for them, so it's not as if he is due for some massive raise.

Isn't this a bit of a red flag if they aren't interested in bringing him back? Or is this him wanting to potentially go elsewhere?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Brandon Montour 6 x 7.7
Matt Roy 5 x 5.8
Chris Tanev 3 x 4.4
Brett Pesce 5 x 6.2
Jalen Chatfield 4 x 3.6
Dylan DeMelo 4 x 5.3

Roy + Chatfield would be pretty great, though really there are a few different combos that would be nice. Would avoid Montour at that price.

Regardless, we better land one of them. Striking out when there are finally multiple legit names available would be disappointing.

Reactions: weems
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad