GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Yea Rielly should’ve been working on his slap shot like 7 years ago. There’s zero excuse for our main D-man who controls the puck the most to have a muffin from the blue line. Sorry but just inexcusable why we can’t get more offence from shots from our D. We’re too predictable.

Look at Edmonton, not only do they have bulls in front of the net, they have McDavid and DraisItl on the walls and if need be Bouchard can bomb it from the point. Legendary PP this playoffs. There’s a reason why ours was so pathetic

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I’m not against Pesce for 6.5 AAV and under but bringing him in heightens the need to add more offense from the blue line.

Same here.

But s legitimate concern of mine at the moment is that Reilly will be the only top four D man under contract who can skate with or move the puck. McCabe is a solid and reliable top four guy, but it'll be very rough if he's the second best puck mover on the backend....

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Same here.

But s legitimate concern of mine at the moment is that Reilly will be the only top four D man under contract who can skate with or move the puck. McCabe is a solid and reliable top four guy, but it'll be very rough if he's the second best puck mover on the backend....
If we do sign Pesce, he can’t be the only one. I’d then go after Carrier.

Rielly - Pesce
McCabe - Carrier

Reactions: Menzinger

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Brett Pesce - 5 years, 5.75 million per.
Alex Carrier - 3 years, 3.75 million per.
Jalen Chatfield - 2 years, 2.5 million per.

These might be on the lower end of potential salaries they’ll get but this would be a very successful rebuild of the right side IMO.

Rielly - Pesce
McCabe - Carrier
Benoit - Chatfield

Reactions: Folignos Helmet

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Yea Rielly should’ve been working on his slap shot like 7 years ago. There’s zero excuse for our main D-man who controls the puck the most to have a muffin from the blue line. Sorry but just inexcusable why we can’t get more offence from shots from our D. We’re too predictable.

Rielly's shot is fine. Sure, it's not elite, but he managed to score a lot from the point before Keefe got here. It was very likely a coaching issue with Keefe.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
How many shots you think Rielly a taken in his life? Think a little extra work in the summer moves the needle for him?
1717713240251.png

At least one shot connected apparently…..

I will show myself out now.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Every big name free agent is linked to us every off-season and almost none of them ever sign with us. Just agents spreading rumours to pump up their clients value. Pesce of several years ago would've been fine, but signing a soon-to-be 30 year old defenseman long-term is a buyout or LTIRetirement waiting to happen.

Reactions: Kurtz and Evilhomer

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Same here.

Comes down to the org’s belief in Liljegren IMO. He’s more of a two way d-man but certainly has potential to mature defensively, he’s fine with puck movement, skating, and can shoot. He’s paced 27 points over an 82 game season in his first 3 years. No reason to think he can’t get close to 40 in his prime.

Otherwise you trade Lily and bring in someone more established.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Comes down to the org’s belief in Liljegren IMO. He’s more of a two way d-man but certainly has potential to mature defensively, he’s fine with puck movement, skating, and can shoot. He’s paced 27 points over an 82 game season in his first 3 years. No reason to think he can’t get close to 40 in his prime.

I don't think Liljegren is here beyond the summer.

Reactions: notdoneyet

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
we need to get one of skjei and montour
one of roy and carrier
and then idgaf.

two of those four guys and we should be set on the backend with mccabe and rielly.

On the front end we need depth mitch being traded for shea theodore would be just peachy which would allow us then not to sign 2 marquis dmen and focus on that C position in stephenson.

Also if guentzel is only getting 7.5 you f***ing do it and then figure everything out later.

Reactions: supermann_98

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

I would like to see Liljegren given an opportunity to build his confidence under a new coach.

Keefe did nothing to contribute to his development.

Keefe backed a losing horse in Holl over Liljegren, at Liljegren’s expense.

If he is given some PP time and put on a 3rd pairing with Benoit and not have to play like every mistake will get him benched, I think we could see a very decent RHD with a reasonable cap hit.

I still don’t think we’ve seen what Liljegren can do thus far.

Would hate to let him go for poor value, pay more to bring someone else in and then watch Liljegren become what we needed him to be somewhere else.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Giving Pesce a 6-7 year deal is a disaster. He’s 29 and the injuries have already started to slow him down. Given he’s American, I’d also be shocked if he wants to sign here.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
also have no interest in bringing back domi and bert for a combined 8.5-9M.

Id rather have 1 jake guentzel or 1 skjei + a better fourth liner than dewar or 1 montour + a better fourth liner than dewar.

Like game breaking guys should still be the get but you can still get depth through good scouting. Trenin for example will likely come in around 2-2.5M.

This offseason has so many ufas of varying skills and types that you can absolutely retool a team.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Noticed Mirtle had said he's heard the Leafs may be targeting Laurent Brossoit to play as part of a tandem

Wasn't there tons of talk midseason that Pesce had really started to decline?

Yes. But I think this front office group is going to prioritize the next 2-3 seasons above the longer term. Sign whom they wants and just find a way to deal with contracts that don't age well later.

Reactions: weems

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Giving Pesce a 6-7 year deal is a disaster. He’s 29 and the injuries have already started to slow him down. Given he’s American, I’d also be shocked if he wants to sign here.
Yeah, this is the one guy that makes no sense to me. He has played the entirety of his amateur and professional career in the US, and all of a sudden he is going to pick up and come to Canada? Seems unlikely to me.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Knies - Matthews - Bertuzzi
McMann - Tavares - Marner
Jarnkrok - Minten - Nylander
Holmberg - McBain - Cowan

Rielly - Pesce
McCabe - Carrier
Benoit - Chatfield

Woll - Brossoit

Wouldn’t be extremely happy with that roster but it’s not terrible. Not really sure if it’s any better or more of the same shit just different names.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Matt Roy really seems like the type of player they need to prioritize. Top 4 RHD 6'2 and price tag seems more than reasonable compared to some other numbers.

Current projections on Roy from different sites like The Athletic, Evolving Hockey, etc. Have Roy's next contract in the high $5 million-low $6 million range, at 4-5 years of term.

I do also see the irony in the title of this article.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/los-angeles-kings/latest-news/los-angeles-kings-shouldnt-entertain-re-signing-matt-roy

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Matt Roy really seems like the type of player they need to prioritize. Top 4 RHD 6'2 and price tag seems more than reasonable compared to some other numbers.

Bit of a jack of all trades that could play with a variety of partners, and help fix multiple issues.

Benoit, Lybushkin, and Edmundson are physical with size, but can't move the puck. Brodie, Rielly, and Liljegren can move the puck, but are softer (bit of a generalization).

Roy has size, plays physical and blocks shots, and can move the puck. Having him and McCabe in our top 4, even though neither is an elite player, would help make sure we have a good mix of physicality/puck movement in the top 4.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Bit of a jack of all trades that could play with a variety of partners, and help fix multiple issues.

Benoit, Lybushkin, and Edmundson are physical with size, but can't move the puck. Brodie, Rielly, and Liljegren can move the puck, but are softer (bit of a generalization).

Roy has size, plays physical and blocks shots, and can move the puck. Having him and McCabe in our top 4, even though neither is an elite player, would help make sure we have a good mix of physicality/puck movement in the top 4.
McCabe - Roy would make a really good shutdown pair.

Reactions: OVO16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad