GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Joshua will get the Barclays Goodrow contract. I don’t think we can afford that for a winger given our other needs.

Yeah that's very fair. I know he's played center previously but seems like he's been much more effective as a winger. It might depend on his ability to play center. He only took 8 draws in the playoffs.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Just like Barrie, putting Montour on the PP just means Rielly is demoted. He may not even be an upgrade on Rielly on the PP. He’s 30 years old and has only cleared 40 points once.

People are incredibly focused on having a D man, with a big shot on the PP. They are convinced that is the solution to the very temporary problem our PP has had, as well as some of it's struggles in the playoffs.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I don't know how Roy is as a puck mover. I think they should try to give McCabe a offensive partner so he doesn't feel the need to play so aggressively like he does sometimes. I think Montour + Chatfield might be a better group to target.
Chatfield is a former Spitfire, so I've seen lots of him over the years. He's probably not the answer, here

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Just like Barrie, putting Montour on the PP just means Rielly is demoted. He may not even be an upgrade on Rielly on the PP. He’s 30 years old and has only cleared 40 points once.

Barrie never lead his team in minutes, let alone to 2 straight SCF appearances in a row leading in minutes.

Reactions: Skullz

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
People are incredibly focused on having a D man, with a big shot on the PP. They are convinced that is the solution to the very temporary problem our PP has had, as well as some of it's struggles in the playoffs.
the threat of a big point shot is invaluable in opening up star players down low.
the Oilers PP wasnt 'lethal' until Bouchard got on it and he established his shot, and first that opened up Drais for 1-timers at will (previous season), then when teams started to cover Drais(this season), it opened up Hyman in front for his career season.

None of that happens without the threat of that point shot though, else they just shadow McDavid, and ignore the point, like teams do vs us.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
the threat of a big point shot is invaluable in opening up star players down low.
the Oilers PP wasnt 'lethal' until Bouchard got on it and he established his shot, and first that opened up Drais for 1-timers at will (previous season), then when teams started to cover Drais(this season), it opened up Hyman in front for his career season.

None of that happens without the threat of that point shot though, else they just shadow McDavid, and ignore the point, like teams do vs us.
exactly, leafs aren't going to turn into Panthers, Bruins, Rangers, Canes , Dallas in one off season. But they might be able to pull off an Oilers, elite offense (PP) with average D and Goalie

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Interesting.

2020-21 25.3%
2019-20 24.5%
2023-24 24.3%

Seems they had higher years in being... "More lethal" before Bouchard showed up on the PP.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
exactly, leafs aren't going to turn into Panthers, Bruins, Rangers, Canes , Dallas in one off season. But they might be able to pull off an Oilers, elite offense (PP) with average D and Goalie
if they spend all their $$ properly, and there are many options on Defense, we can have a high end balanced defense.
there is no 'stud' but, enough top line and 2-3 type defenders available to make our d the best its been in about 15-20 years

Interesting.

2020-21 25.3%
2019-20 24.5%
2023-24 24.3%

Seems they had higher years in being... "More lethal" before Bouchard showed up on the PP.
yea, thats when Nurse had his career best season and 16 goals ...again, big shot from the point threat (and not a full season either)

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Yeah that's very fair. I know he's played center previously but seems like he's been much more effective as a winger. It might depend on his ability to play center. He only took 8 draws in the playoffs.
I could see the Devils all over him.
Goodrow got 6 years 21 million, maybe he gets a bit less because no cup, but i think he will be viewed as same type of player with potential upside.

The other good one, similar effect with slightly less hype is Stefan Noesen, slightly older but really came into his own last 2 years in Carolina, I think someone will overpay him too, maybe not as high as Joshua though who folks will think still has room for growth. Again I don't think we should spend on wingers at all above guys around a million, unless Marner is going out

Reactions: SprDaVE

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I think people get Bouchard highlights, but don't know he doesn't just have a bomb, he has a good accurate shot.

So a bomb is a nice threat, but it can also Phaneuf teammates.

You want more than just a bomb.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Barrie led Colorado in ice time in 2017.

Montour is currently playing on Florida's 2nd pair, but plays a lot on the PP.

That's not 2 years in a row nor with playoff success. Montour was #1 in EV minutes last year in the playoffs but this time around Ekblad is somewhat healthy so his minutes got reduced a bit, but Montour has been able to play tons of minutes in more than just the PP for a few years now. He's not a PKer though that's for sure but the PP is just as important as the PK and nothing shows that he's a liability defensively or even strength.

He's not perfect but I think if the contract is fair and all that, he'd be a pretty good addition to give another capable defenseman that can skate and add skill.

Last edited:

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Honesty, while the prospect of an outrageous Zadarov contract scares me, I cannot but help be intrigued by this guy. As is the case with a lot of huge players, he was slow to develop, and I think his prime years might be later than a lot of other players.

He has some absolutely monster possession seasons in Calgary. Skates really well for his size, and is obviously super mean.

If we could get him for around something like 4 by 4, I would be excited.

That's not 2 years in a row nor with playoff success. Montour was #1 in EV minutes last year in the playoffs but time around Ekblad is somewhat healthy so his minutes got reduced a bit. He's not a PKer though that's for sure but the PP is just as important as the PK and nothing shows that he's a liability defensively or even strength.
I agree. Montour is not Barrie, he is a much better all around player and would bring a lot of what we need.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada

How'd things go with Barrie and his big shot on the point here?

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I like DeMelo over Tanev just due to age, Toronto has had some bad luck with their d-man just falling off a cliff play wise due to style of play and mileage on them, I think Tanev falls into that category.

You're right, you can't solve every issue but being able to grab a top 4 dman without spending any assets is something Toronto needs to do. I want Toronto to get a real goalie, but I think with there needs are currently, that's going to be something they push to a later date. (Probably could get away running a cheap tandem and then making a trade @ the deadline for a goalie if needed).

I'm not even considering Marner off the team at this point, with what's came out so far, it seems pretty apparent the loser doesn't wanna go and theres nothing Toronto can do about it.
I know the DeMelo family indirectly. He is very happy in Winnipeg and has young family that is settled there.

He will likely stay if the Jets offer him any type of fair deal.

Reactions: Frostitute

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I'm sure a trade like this wouldn't happen, but I wonder if Florida prioritizes Montour and trades Ekblad.

I know the DeMelo family indirectly. He is very happy in Winnipeg and has young family that is settled there.

He will likely stay if the Jets offer him any type of fair deal.
In that case Winnipeg would be stupid to let him go. Players that wanna play here are rare.

I also can't say he's a guy I'd be particularly interested in. Another who's a #4 at best

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I'm sure a trade like this wouldn't happen, but I wonder if Florida prioritizes Montour and trades Ekblad.

In that case Winnipeg would be stupid to let him go. Players that wanna play here are rare.

I also can't say he's a guy I'd be particularly interested in. Another who's a #4 at best
He’s great guy from everything I’ve heard.

Agreed, I think he is a very solid 4/5 as you mention.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Honesty, while the prospect of an outrageous Zadarov contract scares me, I cannot but help be intrigued by this guy. As is the case with a lot of huge players, he was slow to develop, and I think his prime years might be later than a lot of other players.

He has some absolutely monster possession seasons in Calgary. Skates really well for his size, and is obviously super mean.

If we could get him for around something like 4 by 4, I would be excited.

I agree. Montour is not Barrie, he is a much better all around player and would bring a lot of what we need.

His starting ask will be $5-6 mil likely....

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
His starting ask will be $5-6 mil likely....
I know. If he doesn’t come down then he can go somewhere else.

Beauty of it is is that there’s actually a glut of good options this year on D. Hoping that brings down the price

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Interesting.

2020-21 25.3%
2019-20 24.5%
2023-24 24.3%

1717694859983.png

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
How'd things go with Barrie and his big shot on the point here?
I dont recall him ever using it...
maybe that was a Keefe mandate (no point shots), as Rielly went from a 20 goal guy to a non factor from the point

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I dont recall him ever using it...
maybe that was a Keefe mandate (no point shots), as Rielly went from a 20 goal guy to a non factor from the point
Rielly should be working on his shot all summer. Both PPs should have a shot from the back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad