GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
With obvious caveats about context and quality of competition, Jalem Chatfield ranks 1st lowest in on-ice shot attempts against per 60 minutes (42.72), 2nd fewest in high-danger chances against per 60 (2.03), and 1st in on-ice expected goals against per 60 minutes (1.98), among all defenseman who played in at least 40 games last season.

Would love to add him after we sign one of the top name defensemen (Demelo, Roy, Pesce, Tanev, etc.) He's a youngish RD, with low mileage, will probably sign for much cheaper than the others, and might still have some upside to tap into.

Reactions: Skullz

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Matt Roy would be an excellent addition probably one of my top d-men choices. Skjei is becoming more appealing too. Go for both.

With a glut of wingers in the system coming up on ELC's and a limited D prospect pipeline, now it a good time to invest dollars in the blue line.

Rielly-Roy
Skjei-McCabe
Benoit-Liljegren
Timmins
#7 veteran d-man?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Up front, really interested in Henrique to bolster down the middle .. and if Marner is dealt, Toffoli would be a nice short term option for the top 6.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I'm also on the Matt Roy train. I think he's the guy who hasn't been talked enough about, which may be a good thing because that means his contract expectation might be reasonable.

He's the best hybrid mix of both Puck Movement and Physicality available that can slot into a top 4 role.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Up front, really interested in Henrique to bolster down the middle .. and if Marner is dealt, Toffoli would be a nice short term option for the top 6.
Just never been a Toffoli fan. Nothing really sticks out to me when I watch him play.

I'd prefer Perron to him, personally.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
IF MM is dealt, we need another player that starts with M, Marchessault is the guy. Leader, Conn Symthe winner, plays with grit and fire. He is literally the RW you can ever ask for AM.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Just never been a Toffoli fan. Nothing really sticks out to me when I watch him play.

I'd prefer Perron to him, personally.
Toffoli will always score 30 goals in the regular season even without PP1 time. He plays a responsible 200ft game and PK. He is like MM except less talented but more physical and can score. He is also a troll type player like Marchand.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Comes down to the org’s belief in Liljegren IMO. He’s more of a two way d-man but certainly has potential to mature defensively, he’s fine with puck movement, skating, and can shoot. He’s paced 27 points over an 82 game season in his first 3 years. No reason to think he can’t get close to 40 in his prime.

Otherwise you trade Lily and bring in someone more established.

Definitely. I just see it as a bit of a numbers game, he's got enough value that he could bring back an interesting piece either a pic or maybe even a vet older d-man on a team that's not going to be competitive. And then you've got how Tre has said he wants to change up the D, He's not going to be able to do that if 70% of the guy's return

And Rielly isn't going anywhere, McCabe and Benoit both play the style that he likes traditionally, and there's always the chance that edmonson or Boosh get extended. Not many options left to change things up unless they think about a lily trade

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
How many shots do you think Rielly has taken in his life? Think a little extra work in the summer moves the needle for him?

He doesn’t need to rifle it top corner every time, just getting shots consistently on the pads instead of high and wide or into a shin pad would be a nice improvement. His shit selection and accuracy is a bigger problem than the mechanics and power on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: supermann_98

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
Matt Roy would be an excellent addition probably one of my top d-men choices. Skjei is becoming more appealing too. Go for both.

With a glut of wingers in the system coming up on ELC's and a limited D prospect pipeline, now it a good time to invest dollars in the blue line.

Rielly-Roy
Skjei-McCabe
Benoit-Liljegren
Timmins
#7 veteran d-man?
That + re-signing Edmundson is exactly what I would like to see done to the d-core this summer. Good amount of puck skill, very physical.

Then we wouldn't be dependant on the Marner return to fix the defence, and could most likely target a pick that would bring us one of the top defenceman in the draft - simultaneously making cap room for the aforementioned additions.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Rielly-Roy
Skjei-McCabe
Benoit-Liljegren
Timmins
#7 veteran d-man?

I think that's to expensive, I'd also like to bring in a good center and decent tandem goaltender as well

My plan would be to big game hunt on one guy, Roy preferably and bring in a younger cheaper top 4 like Chatfield

I don't think we want the entire Dcore 30 years or over, we need to keep some youth in the system

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
My problem with Pesce is that his play had already started to drop off, as well as his foot speed. I don't think he looks good in the next 2-3 years.

Reactions: Zero1 and TheShape

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
With obvious caveats about context and quality of competition, Jalem Chatfield ranks 1st lowest in on-ice shot attempts against per 60 minutes (42.72), 2nd fewest in high-danger chances against per 60 (2.03), and 1st in on-ice expected goals against per 60 minutes (1.98), among all defenseman who played in at least 40 games last season.

Would love to add him after we sign one of the top name defensemen (Demelo, Roy, Pesce, Tanev, etc.) He's a youngish RD, with low mileage, will probably sign for much cheaper than the others, and might still have some upside to tap into.

I haven't paid attention to these in a while but Sandin's and Liljegren's looked way better with similar or slightly high QoC.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
That + re-signing Edmundson is exactly what I would like to see done to the d-core this summer. Good amount of puck skill, very physical.

Then we wouldn't be dependant on the Marner return to fix the defence, and could most likely target a pick that would bring us one of the top defenceman in the draft - simultaneously making cap room for the aforementioned additions.
I think Edmundson is fine in a vacuum, but not if we already have Benoit. We can’t have too many of those guys in the lineup, there’s no one who can move the puck.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Edmunson comes down to price tag for me

He doesn't strike me as someone that would take a paycut to stay where he is. He's coming off a 3.5M cap hit contract. I don't see him taking much less than that unless he gets term.

This team needs to prioritize putting cap into their RHD quality. Yes, it's important.. If you can add a very good LHD at a great price, then obviously you do it.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
I think we should go big game hunting this offseason. We have a lot of depth and fringe guys, that isn't the issue. We need to acquire difference-makers, especially on defence.

Guys like Skjei, Montour, Roy. These are players that will actually solidify a pairing, not just be placeholders.

I know that Skjei is a LHD, but he provides a ton of offence and is solid on the PK. He could allow us to bump Rielly down to the second pairing.

Skjei - McCabe
Rielly - Roy
Benoit - Lily

That looks like a great pairing to me.

Alternatively something like:

McCabe - Montour
Rielly - Roy
Benoit - Lily

This requires a lot of cap and may not be feasible, but it balances all of our pairs nicely with a very good puck mover on each of them. I think this would do wonders to increase our lack of postseason scoring.

BTW, lets hang onto Lily. He is a dominant 3rd pairing D, and he will only get better. Don't sell low.

Komisarek DejaVu?
the best under the radar RHD is likely Carrier, on the smaller side, but, knows how to defend and can carry & clear the puck and only 27
I love Carrier. I think he could be a really smart cheap add.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Friedman speculated that 7x7 wouldn't get it done for Lindholm in Vancouver. So that gives an idea of what he's looking for contract wise.

Reactions: SprDaVE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad