GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
I would love both Bertuzzi and Domi back. Hopefully they both come in at reasonable deals

They both extemely solid for us last year and considering we've been at arms for having good wingers beside Mathews and Tavares, losing Bertuzzi and domi wouldn't make any sense.

We'll be saying how we need wingers around the trade deadline. You keep both if you can
That is true, but I hope Tre has drawn a line in the sand when it comes to individual contracts and the salary cap. Both he and Berube are all about “team” instead of “the core and everybody else” stupidity that Shanahan seemed to embrace, which had to cause some sort of divide in the room.

Reactions: OVO16

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I wouldn’t mind Walker but at the right price and as a third pair defenceman with Benoit. He’ll probably get more but I honestly wouldn’t go past 2.75 - 3 million per.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Why would we want a 3rd pair D. We have those. Walker is small and was a cap dump. Thrn traded to col to play 16 min a night.

Rielly
McCabe
Benoit.

Would rather spend 7 on Montour/Skej then 4 on walker

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Why would we want a 3rd pair D. We have those. Walker is small and was a cap dump. Thrn traded to col to play 16 min a night.

Rielly
McCabe
Benoit.

Would rather spend 7 on Montour/Skej then 4 on walker

If the rumour about us trying to bring back Edmund is true, then Edmund-Walker 3rd pairing makes some sense on paper I guess. Not at 4m, mind you.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Walker was very good for Philly and was pretty solid for the Kings. I don't think he was used well with Colorado though and he struggled last I checked.

He'd be a pretty good target to bolster our 2-way ability and adding a good RHD that can play and down the lineup.

Reactions: leafsfan5 and JKG33

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Walker was very good for Philly and was pretty solid for the Kings. I don't think he was used well with Colorado though and he struggled last I checked.

He'd be a pretty good target to bolster our 2-way ability and adding a good RHD that can play and down the lineup.
He was not good for the Kings the last few years. His play fell off in 2020-21.

Reactions: Dog and SprDaVE

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto

I think we need a better puck mover than him, someone who can be a legit threat as a point shot on the PP. Montour is that guy.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I think we need a better puck mover than him, someone who can be a legit threat as a point shot on the PP. Montour is that guy.
Agreed - I think this is just baseless speculation. Our sights should be set higher. Would rather bring Klingberg back on a cheap 1-year deal than bid on term and comp with Walker.

Reactions: Duffman955

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Pagnotta also said he's heard Nashville and Toronto will go hardest after Brett Pesce.

Ih i have to guess, Pesce is probably a 1st target over Walker. Walker is more of a fall back option

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I think you'd get him to be a mid-pair PKer that adds skating ability at best, he wouldn't be added to replace the Montour level addition that is needed. Basically replacing Brodie in a way.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
I don’t think you can get it all done in off season but going into playoffs you’d like to see that Benoit-McCabe duo as the third pair.
Maybe during the season you need McCabe on the second pair and Benoit on the third with someone like Timmins or Lily if he stays.
That would leave you with 2 guys to get in offseason instead of 3. And get the third at the deadline.

Walker I don’t know where he would slot maybe 2nd pair and drops to third pair in playoffs. Likely not worth the contract he will get.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
No, I'm saying that's up to Marner and 5 years? Our guys would be well past there primes in 5 years so that's one hell of a bet

Your getting 11M back with Tavares next season and already have 15M in space right now, cap space isn't an issue right now
Whatever cap space the Leafs seem to have this year 18mil and next with JT gone is a mirage.
Domi, and Bert, are two top 6 forwards, resign them or replace them will take 9mil. Then you have to sign a goalie. Even if they have the balls to bet on Woll, they will sign a 1B type that will be at 3mil. That’s 12mil gone. The remaining 6mil will need to be spend on 2 Dman and a 12th forward. In order to just have a starting lineup without anyone in the press box.
Then the following year, assuming MM is back and with his current contract. Leafs will have JT’s 11mil plus whatever the cap increase to resign McCabe, Knies, Holmberg and Woll. Which barring injuries, McCabe will at least ask for what he is getting now which is 4mil, that’s 2mil more what Leafs is paying, Knies should be 3-4mil, Holmberg 1.5-2mil and Woll at 4-5mil(if he is healthy and plays good all season), that’s 9-10mil increase. Plus you let Cowan fill in at JT’s spot for 950k.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Pesce is a bad contract waiting to happen. Luckily he's American, he'll choose Nashville over Toronto every time
He’s already regressing, let another team regret signing him, he’ll get a good payday, hope it’s elsewhere…….

Reactions: LeafChief

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Considering how much help we need on RHD, the RHD UFA’s available and how much this guy will ask, this feels like really aiming low.

2 of Roy, Pesce, DeMelo, Montour, Tanev, etc, need to be priority.

If you really need to look at 3RHD (I still think Liljegren is a viable option there for less than you would pay), then you look at guys like Desharnais or Chatfield, or even a guy like Colin Miller.

Not much interest in what Walker will ask vs how he should be slotted in our roster.

Considering the cap challenges, particularly if we don’t move off of Marner, Treliving will need to find good value for his money.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Considering how much help we need on RHD, the RHD UFA’s available and how much this guy will ask, this feels like really aiming low.

2 of Roy, Pesce, DeMelo, Montour, Tanev, etc, need to be priority.

If you really need to look at 3RHD (I still think Liljegren is a viable option there for less than you would pay), then you look at guys like Desharnais or Chatfield, or even a guy like Colin Miller.

Not much interest in what Walker will ask vs how he should be slotted in our roster.

Considering the cap challenges, particularly if we don’t move off of Marner, Treliving will need to find good value for his money.
Marek thinks Skeji and Pesce are going to Utah and there will be a huge demand on dmen. Carolina and Utah have many spots open. Leafs will have to overpay Pesce to come here. I would pass.

Reactions: SprDaVE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad