GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
You're literally describing 90%of the NHLPA

Perfect example, snd I’d add that Islander team had way more heart and fight in them then this rendition of the Leafs, that’s for damn sure……

Who shops at Whole Foods? More money than brains, that’s who…….

It already is…….

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
With a Marner trade, maybe the best thing to do is go after impending RFAs that teams may not want to pay.

Detroit may prefer to pay Marner $12M rather than pay Lucas Raymond $9M.

Necas and Hronek are two other players. But I don't think leafs should want to pay them either.

Johnson, Marchenko and Sillinger together may be an interesting group to target.

This seems to be what Treliving did in the Dougie Hamilton trade.
Durzi and Hayton from Utah.

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
We do not want Durzi. He is horrid defensively. Also, Hayton has a track record that leads me to believe he's a bust.
We need at least one more defensemen who can move the puck out of their own zone. Replace Marner for EK last playoffs, for example, and we are past Boston. That's how important PMD are. Rielly and five slow moving mouth breathers won't cut it.

Reactions: supermann_98

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
We need at least one more defensemen who can move the puck out of their own zone. Replace Marner for EK last playoffs, for example, and we are past Boston. That's how important PMD are. Rielly and five slow moving mouth breathers won't cut it.

It's also important that this PMD isn't terrible defensively.

I remember one of those Kings-Oilers series, I think the reason the Kings lost was like 90% on Durzi.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
It's not luck at all, it was pure incompetence by the previous regime. Gave Marner the term, dollars, and NMC he wanted with 0 expectations for him or concessions from him
Unfortunately, it's also part of this management group. It's clear Shanahan was in favour of coddling the core 4 and wanted to keep Mitch around last year instead of dealing him before his NMC kicked in

This has been horrendously managed by the Leafs. As usual, they are late to react and it has put them in an awful position

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Probably early but what the hey, off-season.

Mavrik Bourque is kind of blocked in Dallas and is a centre, they could bring him in on wing I suppose but he's 22 years old, lead the AHL in points. The Stars currently have Hintz, Seguin and Johnston at centre, Stankhoven converted to full time winger most likely.

Would they consider something around Robertson, maybe with a plus on top do you think?

We haven't been able to find any projectable offensive centres in the draft but we're rich on the wing in the prospect pool.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Brobust

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Unfortunately, it's also part of this management group. It's clear Shanahan was in favour of coddling the core 4 and wanted to keep Mitch around last year instead of dealing him before his NMC kicked in

This has been horrendously managed by the Leafs. As usual, they are late to react and it has put them in an awful position
Russ Courtnall for Kordic, Rask for Raysoft,Scott Niedermayer for Kurvers, Kessel for Seguin and Hamilton, Steve Sullivan(waived went on to get 70 pts),Couture for Nolan, Steen for Stempniak , Kadri for Barrie, Kessel for a bag of hockey pucks, Verhaege as a throw in. Overpaying everyone but having no backend, resigning Samsonov, resigning Keefe. There are an endless list. People blame it on some curse. Its inept manangment that is either incredibly stupid or a bunch of NHL insiders screwing the team up on purpose. Watch what is next. I guarantee a huge brain fart this summer.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Russ Courtnall for Kordic, Rask for Raysoft,Scott Niedermayer for Kurvers, Kessel for Seguin and Hamilton, Steve Sullivan(waived went on to get 70 pts),Couture for Nolan, Steen for Stempniak , Kadri for Barrie, Kessel for a bag of hockey pucks, Verhaege as a throw in. Overpaying everyone but having no backend, resigning Samsonov, resigning Keefe. There are an endless list. People blame it on some curse. Its inept manangment that is either incredibly stupid or a bunch of NHL insiders screwing the team up on purpose. Watch what is next. I guarantee a huge brain fart this summer.

You let go of less, than my ex.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Any interest in Elias Lindholm? He cost himself some money with his stint in VCR. I wonder if he could not be had for around 6 X 6? I could see him working extremely well on the 2nd line with Nylander, and he is good on the PK as well.

Remember, that if we lost Marner and Tavares next year, we need to start adding some long term pieces. Lindholm would be a solid addition in my mind.

Reactions: Budz

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Any interest in Elias Lindholm? He cost himself some money with his stint in VCR. I wonder if he could not be had for around 6 X 6? I could see him working extremely well on the 2nd line with Nylander, and he is good on the PK as well.

Remember, that if we lost Marner and Tavares next year, we need to start adding some long term pieces. Lindholm would be a solid addition in my mind.
I am all for this and would even pay higher.

It would mean punting the goalie position until next year.

Reactions: aingefan and Skullz

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Looking forward to the gems Treliving unearths in free agency this summer.

Maybe he can give another twenty goal scorer three million dollars to come here and score nine goals. If Domi wants more money for that pathetic performance he can go play on a team trying to reach the cap floor. It's the only way to justify that high a price for a player that low a quality.

I'm not sure who will be available to replace him.

Not like they can afford anyone good. It's looking more and more like they're gonna run it back again with a different coach. The same team, with the same problems, headed straight for the same results.

Since Shanahan's arrival the team's situation has been upgraded from humiliation to underachievement.

That’s like going from an F to a D. All year long they pass all the tests with flying colours. Only to fail spectacularly in the big moment when it matters most.

All the money in the world won't buy the class a passing grade when the star pupils don't show up for the final exam.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Lindholm at 6mil would be a good 2C but I doubt he will sign for 6mil unless he loves Tre or owes Tre.
He will provide offence and with a solid 200ft game, can win face offs. Most importantly, he doesn’t like learning lessons. That is already an upgrade from our 2C

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Lindholm at 6mil would be a good 2C but I doubt he will sign for 6mil unless he loves Tre or owes Tre.
He will provide offence and with a solid 200ft game, can win face offs. Most importantly, he doesn’t like learning lessons. That is already an upgrade from our 2C

Seravelli had him projected at like 6.5M x 5 years, I would go to 6.875M x 5 years.

Reactions: Gabriel426

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
With a Marner trade, maybe the best thing to do is go after impending RFAs that teams may not want to pay.

Detroit may prefer to pay Marner $12M rather than pay Lucas Raymond $9M.

Necas and Hronek are two other players. But I don't think leafs should want to pay them either.

Johnson, Marchenko and Sillinger together may be an interesting group to target.

This seems to be what Treliving did in the Dougie Hamilton trade.
I’ve mentioned Detroit as my dark horse team when it comes to acquiring Marner. Marner for Raymond and Edvinsson would be solid both ways IMO.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
But he is pretty much the top C in this UFA class beside Stammer. That’s why I think he will sign for higher than 7.

Yes, some team that thinks he can be their 1C instead of a great 2C may go into that 7 range but if someone hits 7x7 or greater, they likely regret it in a few years.

Stamkos has been a winger for quite a while too.

CuuuJooo

May 28, 2021
To Toronto:

Colton Parayko
Joel Hofer
1st-Round Pick

To St. Louis:

Mitch Marner

I doubt that Marner would accept Missouri as a destination, though. 🤷‍♀️

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
the chances of us trading a core piece and improving aren't high, in fact it's more than likely going to make us worse
To bad the same didnt apply for the Pens, Caps, blues, Avs

Neal for hornqvuist

Semin/Green/Varlamov moved on from

Backes and Shattenkirk moved on from

RoR & Duchene moved on from

It is absurd to think the leafs cant be a better team without marner next year.

Durzi and Hayton from Utah.
That gets you Paul Marner

• Haha
Reactions: aingefan

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Probably early but what the hey, off-season.

Mavrik Bourque is kind of blocked in Dallas and is a centre, they could bring him in on wing I suppose but he's 22 years old, lead the AHL in points. The Stars currently have Hintz, Seguin and Johnston at centre, Stankhoven converted to full time winger most likely.

Would they consider something around Robertson, maybe with a plus on top do you think?

We haven't been able to find any projectable offensive centres in the draft but we're rich on the wing in the prospect pool.

Thoughts?
I’ve been sniffing around on Dallas because they make sense for Marner. With Pavelski not coming back they have a hole at RW in their top 9 where Bourque will slide in. He’s a good target but he’s not blocked.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
To bad the same didnt apply for the Pens, Caps, blues, Avs

Neal for hornqvuist

Semin/Green/Varlamov moved on from

Backes and Shattenkirk moved on from

RoR & Duchene moved on from

It is absurd to think the leafs cant be a better team without marner next year.

That gets you Paul Marner
I don't see a ton of 27 year old 90-100 point guys with Selke votes on that list

I'm also old enough to remember clowns telling me that Kadri was addition by subtraction to

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I’ve been sniffing around on Dallas because they make sense for Marner. With Pavelski not coming back they have a hole at RW in their top 9 where Bourque will slide in. He’s a good target but he’s not blocked.

1717607095031.png

I did 5.5M x 5 for Harley

1.25M x1 for Dellandrea
1.5M x1 for Steel

So they have 1 hole at RW

Dadonov, Suter and Faksa are all possibilities to move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad