GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
He was a kid at the time, letting his agent take care for things for him.
Ferris is abrasive no doubt and has a unique way of handling things.
Had Dubas taken their initial offer things would have turned out so much better for all involved.

There always is a few years out.
Getting a new agent might be a good start.

Reactions: Rude Dog

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You love the city and want to stay. You want to show that dollars aren’t all you care about. You want to foster better relations and not have someone labelled hard to deal with sitting on your shoulder while you do it. Change the narrative.
I don’t think who is agent is has that big an effect on all of that. He does need to win back a few fans though, be nice to see him take a friendly deal.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I don’t think who is agent is has that big an effect on all of that. He does need to win back a few fans though, be nice to see him take a friendly deal.
Well that’s a great start IMO. Like changing the coach because you want a different culture and outcome. Change the agent.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Well that’s a great start IMO. Like changing the coach because you want a different culture and outcome. Change the agent.
Not like that at all. A coach is a permanent fixture and can affect the team. Agents are for the most part unheard of. I doubt they are a big deal to fans in any city but here.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Well lets see here, straight out of his ELC with no individual trophies or team trophies to his name and I believe 1 90 point season after 2 60 point seasons he demands for just under 11 mil. So you're probably right that he's not gonna demand even more money now after not winning any individual trophies or team trophies, but we did win that 1 round and then lost in 5 so that probably put his price tag up. Don't forget he probably hits 100 points if he played all 82 games. Silly me for thinking he's gonna get more money.

I prefer to close out games and win series against teams we should beat and since we pay a lot of money to the top of our lineup and PP it shouldn't be asking too much.

Again though, we pay the top of our lineup 11 million each. They should be able to outscore everyone because they get paid more than everyone. Marner takes plenty of risk and it's why some people aren't too happy with him. He makes plenty of dumb mistakes that'll lead to goals against, odd man rushes that a defender or goalie has to bail him out on or it can lead to a penalty against us trying to recover. Nylander makes 6.9 and is scoring 40 goals and has been our only player who can consistently score 3 or more goals in the playoffs. A lot of skilled players will make higher risk plays ad nobody would give a damn about any of this is they actually won anything. 1st round exits their entire overpaid contracts and you want to deflect this onto Nylander who is the only one of the core not overpaid and Galchenyuk who was making what? League minimum? Both of which outperformed Marner offensively too.

How is not moving Marner the right choice? 1 year left on overpaid deal and if it makes the trade better I'm sure we'd eat some of that cap. Gonna ask for more money. Other core players locked up long term on new deals. Struggles to close out series and becomes a ghost. What more info you need to determine what the correct choice is. He's literally the only option and if you don't move him we're stuck with him long term or he's gone for nothing.

But you don't should make a move because you're desesperate because that's where you're making the worst decision.

Jt when Dubas want to accelerate the rebuild.

Kadri when Dubas was desesperate to find a D

Its the 2 worst move made last 8 years so it could be smart to make the right move for the good reason and for me trading marner for the reason leafs failing in the past or other core is lock long term, look like desesperate move in my mind

Reactions: Kurtz

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
How about his last negotiation?

Nylander was lowballed and held out for what turned into a steal of a contract. Marner was offered an overpayment day 1 and spent 3 months threatening offersheets and signing over seas.

Is your name Paul by chance?
Not lowballed again please. His comps, as today, were Forsberg, maybe he was worth a wee bit more, and Pasta, who he was worth less than, and he got more than either and then got paid for the 1/3 of the season he sat. Then he came to work out of shape and sucked for the rest of the year. The poor guy got hosed :) Three years later he was finally a ppg player but still in Pasta's shadow every year, yet somehow once again getting more. I have had no pity at any point for him. All three of those boys steam-rolled over KD and then Tre kept the tradition going. Bash Mitch if you want but don't suggest Nylander was any more fair. He just did the heavy lifting for the other two softening up the GM.

Last edited:

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
WRT a potential Marner trade, i'd be pretty disappointed with anything that doesn't return a potential core piece on defence.

The entire point is to move away from a roster imbalance. The goal from day one should have been to create a long-term top 10 defence led by Matthews/one star winger (Nylander) and four balanced fwd lines.

No interest in these diluted deals for multiple mid assets or lateral moves for a different look forward.

Nikishin interests me a lot. 23 y/o to start next season, so you're not waiting 5+ years for impact like you would be with a Dickinson/2024 eligible pick. Projects to be top pair, all-situations. Alleviates a ton of cap, even if you're taking back salary.

Sep 18, 2009
WRT a potential Marner trade, i'd be pretty disappointed with anything that doesn't return a potential core piece on defence.

The entire point is to move away from a roster imbalance. The goal from day one should have been to create a long-term top 10 defence led by Matthews/one star winger (Nylander) and four balanced fwd lines.

No interest in these diluted deals for multiple mid assets or lateral moves for a different look forward.

Nikishin interests me a lot. 23 y/o to start next season, so you're not waiting 5+ years for impact like you would be with a Dickinson/2024 eligible pick. Projects to be top pair, all-situations. Alleviates a ton of cap, even if you're taking back salary.
You need a real gud pro D

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Begging for a trade to change 1 of the core 5 guys. We aren't even competing for 1st in the Atlantic

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I wonder if Myers would be someone of interest for Treliving if he hits the open market. I don’t think he would break the bank, probably come in around 4 million per? I think he would be a good partner next to Rielly.

Hayden Fleury could be a solid low key pick up this off season.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You love the city and want to stay. You want to show that dollars aren’t all you care about. You want to foster better relations and not have someone labelled hard to deal with sitting on your shoulder while you do it. Change the narrative.

Why so much concern about marner walking?

If he doesn't want to be with the Leafs he won't put everything into it.

Matthews and marner have been tied together in the post season for how many seasons?

While they have a definitive decline in the post season, it is still (points wise) best on the team.

Yes, over the past 5 years (entering prime) year Nylander is the leading scorer, much of that is based on the complete failure against the Canadiens.

What is interesting is Matthews has never scored more than 5 goals and it took him 11 games to do. Nylander did it in 7.

So is that decline Matthews or marner based?

Realistically speaking in the post season it is about getting Matthews the puck as marner scores less than Tavares and about the same as Rielly.

How difficult is it to find someone who's strength is passing?

Maybe getting someone who is a threat to score is more important than having the better passer?

Reactions: LeafSteel

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Why so much concern about marner walking?

If he doesn't want to be with the Leafs he won't put everything into it.

Matthews and marner have been tied together in the post season for how many seasons?

While they have a definitive decline in the post season, it is still (points wise) best on the team.

Yes, over the past 5 years (entering prime) year Nylander is the leading scorer, much of that is based on the complete failure against the Canadiens.

What is interesting is Matthews has never scored more than 5 goals and it took him 11 games to do. Nylander did it in 7.

So is that decline Matthews or marner based?

Realistically speaking in the post season it is about getting Matthews the puck as marner scores less than Tavares and about the same as Rielly.

How difficult is it to find someone who's strength is passing?

Maybe getting someone who is a threat to score is more important than having the better passer?
I have no concern about Marner walking. He could go tomorrow.
I was addressing his comments on wanting to stay a Leaf forever. If you do, you really need to change your approach.
The last contracts just sparked a greed mentality. His agent comes out the very same time Matthews signed and cries lowball. Then retracts it. The you better pay because the offer sheets are coming. A total greed fest start. Change that.
Learn to speak to the my media. Doesn’t do it. Stop blaming media for scapegoat, shambles and take responsibility. He doesn’t. Not the way to endear yourself to a place you want to stay.

Besides, that, I will be fine when he’s either moved or walks. No interest in seeing him paid more for another 5-8 years.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
It's Toronto. If he gets off to a good start next season, everyone will love him again.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I have no concern about Marner walking. He could go tomorrow.
I was addressing his comments on wanting to stay a Leaf forever. If you do, you really need to change your approach.
The last contracts just sparked a greed mentality. His agent comes out the very same time Matthews signed and cries lowball. Then retracts it. The you better pay because the offer sheets are coming. A total greed fest start. Change that.
Learn to speak to the my media. Doesn’t do it. Stop blaming media for scapegoat, shambles and take responsibility. He doesn’t. Not the way to endear yourself to a place you want to stay.

Besides, that, I will be fine when he’s either moved or walks. No interest in seeing him paid more for another 5-8 years.

Yeah, marner is like every other player ... a rental.

It is just the duration of the rental.

For some people 6-10 years is a long time.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
But you don't should make a move because you're desesperate because that's where you're making the worst decision.

Jt when Dubas want to accelerate the rebuild.

Kadri when Dubas was desesperate to find a D

Its the 2 worst move made last 8 years so it could be smart to make the right move for the good reason and for me trading marner for the reason leafs failing in the past or other core is lock long term, look like desesperate move in my mind

Leafs can't trade marner.

Only marner can trade marner.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
:pens

Mitch Marner

:leafs

Sidney Crosby

Leafs sign and trade Marner to Pittsburgh who Marner may be open to considering his familiarity with Dubas. The Leafs and Penguins will need to do some convincing both ways. Sidney may see this as a legitimate opportunity to compete for a Cup in Toronto and be the guy who can really help them take that next step.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

New Jersey Devils general manager Tom Fitzgerald is letting it be known that he's open to dealing the 10th overall pick in this month's NHL draft.

"If we feel it helps us now and in the foreseeable future, then, yes, I'm listening," Fitzgerald told NHL.com at the league scouting combine.

"I haven't gotten anything yet but the more I talk to teams, I say 'Listen, I'm open to moving No. 10, but it's going to have to be something (significant).'"

The Devils missed the playoffs for the fifth time in the past six seasons this year while playing under head coach Lindy Ruff and later interim Travis Green. The team hired former Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Sheldon Keefe last month on a four-year contract.

Goaltending doomed the Devils for much of last season, with Fitzgerald electing to make major changes at the position at the trade deadline. Vitek Vanecek was traded to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for fellow netminder Kaapo Kahkonen after the Devils has also added Jake Allen in a trade with the Montreal Canadiens.

Fitzgerald, who reportedly had interest in Calgary Flames goaltender Jacob Markstrom before the deadline, is continuing to seek a further upgrade at the position.

"I'm in the goalie market talking to teams, but there's a 'but' and the 'but' is how do we want to build our team?" Fitzgerald said. "We'd like to add up front, we'd like to add on the back end, so what are those pieces going to cost us. With the goaltending, what's that going to cost us?

"Does the No. 10 pick get you that type of player that you can add to the group. It's easy to say, 'Go get so-and-so and then you build from there.' But there are some guys who have different contracts so how are those players going to reprice at. There's a lot to it, but, yes, the focus is on finding that goaltender."
I'd be very surprised if Keefe were to vouch for Marner in a trade for the #10 overall pick but I'd be interested in getting that pick, lots of great looking young Dmen prospects with Tij Iginla and Lindstrom as great young forward candidates to take at #10.

Would take a significant add tho and I'm not sure who's available on NJ, maybe Siegenthaler or even Nemec?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I'd be very surprised if Keefe were to vouch for Marner in a trade for the #10 overall pick but I'd be interested in getting that pick, lots of great looking young Dmen prospects with Tij Iginla and Lindstrom as great young forward candidates to take at #10.

Would take a significant add tho and I'm not sure who's available on NJ, maybe Siegenthaler or even Nemec?
Iginla may be top 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad