GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Let’s say Treliving goes out and acquires Parayko, 6.5 million dollar cap hit (pretty good cap hit nowadays). Between Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Rielly and Parayko you have just over 60 million in 6 players… You have 27 to spend on at least 14 players… You also need a reliable 1A/B goaltender to split time with Woll, which will cost you a couple million there as well. I just don’t see how you can build a competitive roster holding onto Marner.

Keep in mind that is only 1.5 more than Brodie.

So how high would you go on 21 minute a game DeMelo?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

I would much sooner sign one of the many RD UFAs then pay assets for a Parayko contract for more money and more term. He might do much better away from the current St Louis lineup but he might not. Add people that don't need to bounce back. Demelo would be a nice add at 3 x $3.5. I don't think he takes less without a fourth year.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
A snippet for context:
"the Marner camp, led by agent Darren Ferris isn’t putting together a list of teams for a potential trade. The focus for Marner, who has a full no-move clause, is on honoring the remaining year of his contract and seeing where things go from there.

That also means I don’t think there’s an appetite to talk extension come July 1. The preference from the Marner camp is to start the season and see how things go. Perhaps there are talks on an extension eventually, but I don’t believe there’s a strong desire to get into them this summer.

There was no meeting scheduled between Ferris and Leafs GM Brad Treliving here this week..."

Ferris spoon feeding Lebrun on what to write, although I don't really get the strategy. Is it to make Marner even more hated around these parts?

The way “his focus is on honouring the final year of the contract” makes it sound like he’s doing us a favor by showing up to do the job he’s massively overpaid to do, that’s 100% a slimy agent spoonfeeding deliberately chosen phrasing. Perhaps they’ll think about considering discussing an extension IF things go to Marner’s liking this season, ok lmao.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020

It’s only 1.5 million more than Brodie made yes, but what has allocating our cap like we have been gotten us? A bunch of first round exits. It doesn’t work unfortunately.

I can see DeMelo getting the Brodie contract, 5x5.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

New Jersey Devils general manager Tom Fitzgerald is letting it be known that he's open to dealing the 10th overall pick in this month's NHL draft.

"If we feel it helps us now and in the foreseeable future, then, yes, I'm listening," Fitzgerald told NHL.com at the league scouting combine.

"I haven't gotten anything yet but the more I talk to teams, I say 'Listen, I'm open to moving No. 10, but it's going to have to be something (significant).'"

The Devils missed the playoffs for the fifth time in the past six seasons this year while playing under head coach Lindy Ruff and later interim Travis Green. The team hired former Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Sheldon Keefe last month on a four-year contract.

Goaltending doomed the Devils for much of last season, with Fitzgerald electing to make major changes at the position at the trade deadline. Vitek Vanecek was traded to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for fellow netminder Kaapo Kahkonen after the Devils has also added Jake Allen in a trade with the Montreal Canadiens.

Fitzgerald, who reportedly had interest in Calgary Flames goaltender Jacob Markstrom before the deadline, is continuing to seek a further upgrade at the position.

"I'm in the goalie market talking to teams, but there's a 'but' and the 'but' is how do we want to build our team?" Fitzgerald said. "We'd like to add up front, we'd like to add on the back end, so what are those pieces going to cost us. With the goaltending, what's that going to cost us?

"Does the No. 10 pick get you that type of player that you can add to the group. It's easy to say, 'Go get so-and-so and then you build from there.' But there are some guys who have different contracts so how are those players going to reprice at. There's a lot to it, but, yes, the focus is on finding that goaltender."

Reactions: LeafSteel

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This is kind of how I see it as well. Darren Ferris knows what he is doing. I understand why Lebrun runs with this story, because it is clicks nonetheless. If you don't run it, someone else will. But at the end of the day, this just feels like Pierre is playing puppet for Mitch and his camp.

Usually that type of strategy works when a player wants to stick around and there is a mutual interest from the team to get something done. So this approach doesn't really make sense to me personally given the fact that there is most likely at least 1 party that is open to change.

There is absolutely no denying his talent as a player. He will be incredibly hard to replace. Almost impossible really. But at the end of the day, we need players who want to be here. He's never really demonstrated that desire. It's always been lip service and poor poor me's from him.

Again, if Mitch and his camp want to play hardball, then lets f***ing go. Either put pen to paper this summer, or give us a list of teams. At no point would I take his word for face value if/when he says he plans to resign after the conclusion of next season. If Brad falls for that...again, he is clearly unfit to GM going forward.

I am completely OK with Mitch walking away in UFA if we play hardball with him this season and sit him out. I am not OK with Mitch leveraging his role on the team to get a better contract elsewhere.
What is it you think the Agent is hoping to achieve? What is his strategy?

From everything we know he wants to be a Leaf more than anyone else on the team. That's a really bizarre statement, IMO.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

New Jersey Devils general manager Tom Fitzgerald is letting it be known that he's open to dealing the 10th overall pick in this month's NHL draft.

"If we feel it helps us now and in the foreseeable future, then, yes, I'm listening," Fitzgerald told NHL.com at the league scouting combine.

"I haven't gotten anything yet but the more I talk to teams, I say 'Listen, I'm open to moving No. 10, but it's going to have to be something (significant).'"

The Devils missed the playoffs for the fifth time in the past six seasons this year while playing under head coach Lindy Ruff and later interim Travis Green. The team hired former Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Sheldon Keefe last month on a four-year contract.

Goaltending doomed the Devils for much of last season, with Fitzgerald electing to make major changes at the position at the trade deadline. Vitek Vanecek was traded to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for fellow netminder Kaapo Kahkonen after the Devils has also added Jake Allen in a trade with the Montreal Canadiens.

Fitzgerald, who reportedly had interest in Calgary Flames goaltender Jacob Markstrom before the deadline, is continuing to seek a further upgrade at the position.

"I'm in the goalie market talking to teams, but there's a 'but' and the 'but' is how do we want to build our team?" Fitzgerald said. "We'd like to add up front, we'd like to add on the back end, so what are those pieces going to cost us. With the goaltending, what's that going to cost us?

"Does the No. 10 pick get you that type of player that you can add to the group. It's easy to say, 'Go get so-and-so and then you build from there.' But there are some guys who have different contracts so how are those players going to reprice at. There's a lot to it, but, yes, the focus is on finding that goaltender."
Hey Tom, say hello to my little friend, Mitch Marner. You know they guy who's ass, the coach you just hired, kissed for the last 5 years.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I love picks man, they represent possibility and excitement. I was a happier fan when we sucked and drafted high every year. It certainly beats having hope and getting crushed
Over waiting to see who we draft at 20 something, only to have Dubas announce he was trading it to Chicgo along with Mrazek? Good times.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
A snippet for context:
"the Marner camp, led by agent Darren Ferris isn’t putting together a list of teams for a potential trade. The focus for Marner, who has a full no-move clause, is on honoring the remaining year of his contract and seeing where things go from there.

That also means I don’t think there’s an appetite to talk extension come July 1. The preference from the Marner camp is to start the season and see how things go. Perhaps there are talks on an extension eventually, but I don’t believe there’s a strong desire to get into them this summer.

There was no meeting scheduled between Ferris and Leafs GM Brad Treliving here this week..."

Ferris spoon feeding Lebrun on what to write, although I don't really get the strategy. Is it to make Marner even more hated around these parts?

I actually think this sets up the Leafs management to look like clowns that they couldn't get anything done from an asset management point or even to re-sign him. Both Lebrun and Friedman are saying that the Marner camp is comfortable to extend as long as they want because they know it's better for the Leafs to know how much salary is coming in and how much salary is leaving. Until then, the Leafs have to act as if he will still be here next year and consider that salary.

Reactions: supermann_98

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Let’s say Treliving goes out and acquires Parayko, 6.5 million dollar cap hit (pretty good cap hit nowadays). Between Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Rielly and Parayko you have just over 60 million in 6 players… You have 27 to spend on at least 14 players… You also need a reliable 1A/B goaltender to split time with Woll, which will cost you a couple million there as well. I just don’t see how you can build a competitive roster holding onto Marner.
If you run the roster below: You would have 7.255m to fill out 2 d-man/1goalie.. But theres so many option/players that could sign for less or maybe more.. Like this is including not having Dewar or Robertson / Lillypad signed / on the roster.

My guess is Toronto is going to be replacing One of Jarnkrok/Kampf/Reaves with cheaper options on the 4th line to be able to add to other areas.

Knies (925k) - Matthews (13.250m) - Nylander (11.5m)
Domi (3.75m) - JT (11m) - Marner (10.903m)
McMann (1.35m) - Holmberg (800k) - Bert (4.75m)
Jankrok (2.1m) - Kampf (2.4m) - Reaves (1.35m)

Rielly (7.5m) - Tanev (4.75m)
McCabe (2m) - XXX
Beniot (1.35m) - XXX

Woll
XXX

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
What is it you think the Agent is hoping to achieve? What is his strategy?

From everything we know he wants to be a Leaf more than anyone else on the team. That's a really bizarre statement, IMO.
if Mitch wanted to be a Leaf more than anyone on the team he'd not let this saga drag into the season. Similarly to Auston last season, he would remove this distraction right away.

My only guess that makes somewhat sense is that if/when Mitch was approached to give a list of teams he'd be willing to accept a deal to, Mitch responded with only 1 team that he'd waive his NMC to. At which point MLSE and Management responded with "Mitch, we need more than 1 team".

His representation then responds via puppet media saying they wouldn't talk extension until next offseason. Ultimately forcing the hand of Leafs management to make the decision to either move him to that 1 team and accept whatever they can get, or risk losing him in the following offseason.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013

Demelo is a sneaky fantastic play. Much needed defensive aptitude and does not treat the puck like a grenade. I think he would look fantastic as a RHD alongside Rielly.

Something like 3 x 3.7 or 4 by 3.25?

Something around Marner for 10th/OA and John Marino might be nice
Then package the 10th with our 1st and go get Dickinson.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
For our own sake, for our sanity, we must set the bar for Mitch Marner trade at a 5th round pick. Then we might feel some happiness.

• Haha
Reactions: Jmo89

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
if Mitch wanted to be a Leaf more than anyone on the team he'd not let this saga drag into the season. Similarly to Auston last season, he would remove this distraction right away.

My only guess that makes somewhat sense is that if/when Mitch was approached to give a list of teams he'd be willing to accept a deal to, Mitch responded with only 1 team that he'd waive his NMC to. At which point MLSE and Management responded with "Mitch, we need more than 1 team".

His representation then responds via puppet media saying they wouldn't talk extension until next offseason. Ultimately forcing the hand of Leafs management to make the decision to either move him to that 1 team and accept whatever they can get, or risk losing him in the following offseason.
He can't sign until after July 1 and the Team also has to be willing to negotiate as well.

Why would his representation go through the media? They'd just talk to the Team.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
What do you guys think or what would you guys give up for a 50% retained Gibson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad