GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The Devils dont have the cap situation to get Marner without moving out a big money winger.

3 way with Nashville, Devils get Saros, we get the pick, Nashville gets Marner. Obviously needs more balancing with B pieces but not the worst framework. 10th + our 1st to trade up into Dickinson range would be worth it.

Reactions: aingefan

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Assuming Marner stays I think our key holes are a 2C, 2-3 top 4 D and a G.

You obviously can’t fill all spots with high end players based on cap issues. What approach are people in favor of.

4 or 5 players at around 3 million like some combo of trade and UFA getting Laughton, Whitecloud, Chatfield, Lybushkin, Edmundson, Broissault

Or 2 high end guys and fill out the rest with rookies and league minimum. Like a Montour or Skjei and a Lindholm and then some depth vets.

I was more in on first approach but leaning more towards second now and filling remaining gaps next year when we have more cap.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
To Toronto:
-Timo Meier (who also has a NMC tho):confused: to get some salary back
-the #10 pick
-Jonas Siegenthaler

To New Jersey:
- Marner
- Roni Hirvonen
- 2025 5th rounder
I would prefer something around this if we were to move Marner to NJ.

Marner
Liljegren
Kampf (cap)

For:
Meier
Hamilton ($1.5M retained)

NJ has Hughes and Nemec to run their top pair for years and Hughes has taken over their top PP unit. They also have Marino on the right side. Then go hard after Parayko and sign a RW like Marchessault/Stamkos/Toffoli/etc.

Rielly-Parayko
McCabe-Hamilton
Benoit-???

People will say Marner isn't worth both of those guys but remember that Tkachuk had 15 points in 27 playoff games before the trade to Florida and had rumours of being a bad teammate (after Muzzin shot the puck at him and nobody defended him) and still returned a 115 point winger and a top 4 D.

Eichel, although a center, had a worse PPG, a horrible back injury, and still returned Tuch, a top prospect at the time, a 1st, and a 2nd. He also had similar concerns about going to the tough areas of the ice.

The people that think Marner would not return a lot in a trade would be mistaken.

Reactions: supermann_98

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I would prefer something around this if we were to move Marner to NJ.

Marner
Liljegren
Kampf (cap)

For:
Meier
Hamilton ($1.5M retained)

NJ has Hughes and Nemec to run their top pair for years and Hughes has taken over their top PP unit. They also have Marino on the right side. Then go hard after Parayko and sign a RW like Marchessault/Stamkos/Toffoli/etc.

Rielly-Parayko
McCabe-Hamilton
Benoit-???

People will say Marner isn't worth both of those guys but remember that Tkachuk had 15 points in 27 playoff games before the trade to Florida and had rumours of being a bad teammate (after Muzzin shot the puck at him and nobody defended him) and still returned a 115 point winger and a top 4 D.

Eichel, although a center, had a worse PPG, a horrible back injury, and still returned Tuch, a top prospect at the time, a 1st, and a 2nd. He also had similar concerns about going to the tough areas of the ice.

The people that think Marner would not return a lot in a trade would be mistaken.
I agree.

MM will get a lot when he is traded. BC the team that trade for him will have the extension in place

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
the chances of us trading a core piece and improving aren't high, in fact it's more than likely going to make us worse
So you think trading a core player will result in missing the playoffs, or losing in less than seven games in the first round?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I have no concern about Marner walking. He could go tomorrow.
I was addressing his comments on wanting to stay a Leaf forever. If you do, you really need to change your approach.
The last contracts just sparked a greed mentality. His agent comes out the very same time Matthews signed and cries lowball. Then retracts it. The you better pay because the offer sheets are coming. A total greed fest start. Change that.
Learn to speak to the my media. Doesn’t do it. Stop blaming media for scapegoat, shambles and take responsibility. He doesn’t. Not the way to endear yourself to a place you want to stay.

Besides, that, I will be fine when he’s either moved or walks. No interest in seeing him paid more for another 5-8 years.
This forum will be a better place once Marner is off the team, and the Leafs can start to build a proper cap balanced team. Each journey begins with a single step………

It's Toronto. If he gets off to a good start next season, everyone will love him again.
Yes, the fans that stop watching hockey after the annual first round exit will be happy with Marner’s annual regular season performance, I have no doubt about this, hockey fans who crave a cup not so much………

Reactions: LeafSteel

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
:pens

Mitch Marner

:leafs

Sidney Crosby

Leafs sign and trade Marner to Pittsburgh who Marner may be open to considering his familiarity with Dubas. The Leafs and Penguins will need to do some convincing both ways. Sidney may see this as a legitimate opportunity to compete for a Cup in Toronto and be the guy who can really help them take that next step.
In a New York minute……….

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
So you think trading a core player will result in missing the playoffs, or losing in less than seven games in the first round?
If we get zero depth scoring for half a season again then probably.

Assuming Marner stays I think our key holes are a 2C, 2-3 top 4 D and a G.

You obviously can’t fill all spots with high end players based on cap issues. What approach are people in favor of.

4 or 5 players at around 3 million like some combo of trade and UFA getting Laughton, Whitecloud, Chatfield, Lybushkin, Edmundson, Broissault

Or 2 high end guys and fill out the rest with rookies and league minimum. Like a Montour or Skjei and a Lindholm and then some depth vets.

I was more in on first approach but leaning more towards second now and filling remaining gaps next year when we have more cap.
Our 2C put up 65 points in a down year. Some teams 1C didn't put up that many. Get 2 damn good defensemen and a servicable G and call it a day.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If we get zero depth scoring for half a season again then probably.

Our 2C put up 65 points in a down year. Some teams 1C didn't put up that many. Get 2 damn good defensemen and a servicable G and call it a day.
They don’t have a problem with scoring goals in the regular season, Marner can’t score in the playoffs, I don’t see what they’re losing here………

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
To Toronto:
-Timo Meier (who also has a NMC tho):confused: to get some salary back
-the #10 pick
-Jonas Siegenthaler

To New Jersey:
- Marner
- Roni Hirvonen
- 2025 5th rounder
Great start!

To Toronto:
Timo Meier
John Marino
10 OA

To NJ
Marner
???

What else needs adding on our side?

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Plus they're making USD and living on the CDN peso during the season.
The only problem with this reasoning is the fact that it is nearly 2 pesos a liter for premium fuel, 1M pesos for a 1 bdrm condo in Toronto and 150 pesos for 3 bags of Whole Foods.

Cost of living is WAY lower in Florida.

If you want to compare Manhattan and Winnipeg that's a different discussion.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It’ll be Rielly.

I'm already kind of on him as a guy that needs to move on. I like the guy and don't think he's bad but he's kind of flawed.

I don't trust him a match up role, not the fastest and our PP in the playoffs minus the TB series has been bad and I just think you can find a way to spend that 7.5M more effectively. You can spend it worse too if you're not careful but overall, I would be fine to move on.

Reactions: Americanadian

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm already kind of on him as a guy that needs to move on. I like the guy and don't think he's bad but he's kind of flawed.

I don't trust him a match up role, not the fastest and our PP in the playoffs minus the TB series has been bad and I just think you can find a way to spend that 7.5M more effectively. You can spend it worse too if you're not careful but overall, I would be fine to move on.
Our PP around Rielly has been top three in the league for the last few years. It was tops in the league at one point in time last year, until our team had injuries, and then it never recovered. Yes, our PP was terrible at the end of the year, but he's been a QB on a tops in the NHL PP for years.

A couple of bad months, doesn't change that we've had a great PP for a long time. The PP problems have been very limited in time, and more of a coaching issue.

The main problem with Rielly, is it's not been easy finding the right partner for him, and when we do.... for whatever reason, we let them go. A Tanev or Pesce partner, and you've got a very good pairing.

The Rielly problems are more a management problem, than a Rielly problem....

Now if we could miraculously upgrade, at a similar cost... I'm all for it... but, there are like... maybe two guys as UFA's who fall into that category.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Our PP around Rielly has been top three in the league for the last few years. It was tops in the league at one point in time last year, until our team had injuries, and then it never recovered. Yes, our PP was terrible at the end of the year, but he's been a QB on a tops in the NHL PP for years.

A couple of bad months, doesn't change that we've had a great PP for a long time. The PP problems have been very limited in time, and more of a coaching issue.

The main problem with Rielly, is it's not been easy finding the right partner for him, and when we do.... for whatever reason, we let them go. A Tanev or Pesce partner, and you've got a very good pairing.

The Rielly problems are more a management problem, than a Rielly problem....

Now if we could miraculously upgrade, at a similar cost... I'm all for it... but, there are like... maybe two guys as UFA's who fall into that category.

It's been tops in the regular season but in the playoffs (not the TB series) - it has been very ineffective.

As much as I am banging the trade Rielly drum right now, I don't think management is really there right now and maybe they'll try your suggestion first, try to find him the right partner and see what a new coach can do with this group.

Theodore is a pending UFA so that might be a consideration next summer.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
With a Marner trade, maybe the best thing to do is go after impending RFAs that teams may not want to pay.

Detroit may prefer to pay Marner $12M rather than pay Lucas Raymond $9M.

Necas and Hronek are two other players. But I don't think leafs should want to pay them either.

Johnson, Marchenko and Sillinger together may be an interesting group to target.

This seems to be what Treliving did in the Dougie Hamilton trade.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Did the NYI get worse than they were when Tavares walked?
Perfect example, snd I’d add that Islander team had way more heart and fight in them then this rendition of the Leafs, that’s for damn sure……

The only problem with this reasoning is the fact that it is nearly 2 pesos a liter for premium fuel, 1M pesos for a 1 bdrm condo in Toronto and 150 pesos for 3 bags of Whole Foods.

Cost of living is WAY lower in Florida.

If you want to compare Manhattan and Winnipeg that's a different discussion.
Who shops at Whole Foods? More money than brains, that’s who…….

It’ll be Rielly.
It already is…….

Reactions: Americanadian

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It's been tops in the regular season but in the playoffs (not the TB series) - it has been very ineffective.

As much as I am banging the trade Rielly drum right now, I don't think management is really there right now and maybe they'll try your suggestion first, try to find him the right partner and see what a new coach can do with this group.

Theodore is a pending UFA so that might be a consideration next summer.
Everything has been ineffective in the playoffs... the forwards just haven't shown up when needed... that's not on Rielly... this team has just not competed, and there are other bigger offenders than him.

Reactions: ToneDog

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Everything has been ineffective in the playoffs... the forwards just haven't shown up when needed... that's not on Rielly... this team has just not competed, and there are other bigger offenders than him.

The easiest or most logical thing to do is find someone that can be a shot threat up top with him to gain space for guys like Matthews closer to the net.

Pretty clear that Boston didn't respect Marner and Rielly on the point as threats to score.

Reactions: ToneDog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad