GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Bettman plans to add more teams too. Get ahead of the curve and sign your superstars with lots of mileage left asap.
The goalie for the West's no.1 contender has a 89% save percentage heading into the cup finals. That can only exist in a watered down league.

It's a different world out there. If we can figure out how to win the Atlantic Cup the rest of the playoffs is at our mercy.

Like I said, even a 10% improvement in Marner gets it done. This is realistic and more realistic than the situation we get instantly better when losing Marner.

Reactions: Kurtz

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Just have to step in here for a second.

This watered down league is tiered off and lop sided. You have to pretend it's a 4 team league of Boston, Florida, Toronto and Tampa and then build your team within that.

Abstract the rest of the league away and just assume if you can go toe to toe with these 3 teams, you can take out any other team in the league.

Getting smashed (where almost every series went to game 7 btw) by these 3 teams during years where we still had holes is causing people to want to make moves that drop us out of this tier but line us up with teams we're not even going to face because of the playoff format.

It's takes a few minutes to wrap your head around what I'm saying but most of the (realistic) trade proposals that break up the core make us worse. For starters, JT at 2C / 3C is an absolute cheat code that allows us to go in that 4 team tier.

The cap hits are ugly on paper but loop back to my first sentence of watered down league and there is enough cap space. 90% of the players in this league can wash themselves out when you line up the teams head to head in a well coached way. "Parity" is causing the NHL to shift to more NBA style where a few superstars are enough to make you sky rocket to a tier over half the league can't touch. These other teams fantasize about the day they can draft a stud of their own.

Our biggest flaw thus far has been the actual wash-out when lining up the teams head to head. We chose soft, vanilla and mentally weak players who are easy to over power in serious games. If you are serious about winning, you leave the core alone and continue focusing on ridding this team of it's vanilla / too many players that play the same style issue that plagued our depth multiple years in a row.

Hiring Berube was a big step in the right direction. Jarnkrok over Domi or Bertuzzi in critical situations is a good example of what not to do in the leagues current format. I don't know what Marners offensive struggles has to do with stuff like that.

We are fully capable of winning all of the Series that Marner has struggled in, so imagine if he only improves even 10% while filling up the rest of the roster with hard working players we can easily afford no matter how much Marner makes. You know who we can't afford if we needed one? Marner.

That might all make sense if not for the Columbus and Montreal losses. Those were non-playoff teams in normal seasons, and our core found a way to lose anyway. The core as currently constructed does not work.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Muzzin was our Ekholm trade. What results did we get exactly? Muzzin was also younger. We drafted and developed Rielly and Bouchard is pretty much Rielly with a slapshot. There's no excuse for why 2 guys can carry all those bums on Edmonton but 4 guys can't on Toronto.
i,m agree but how many complete series Muzzin played in hos 5 year in Toronto? 2 get a player injured don't help tou to win series...
The core didn’t create anything either. At least two of them are constantly praised during the regular season as McD and Drai? Had any of them perform like McD and Drai?
Fixing the core doesn’t mean ignoring the D.
A Dman can become part of the new core.

Don’t understand why the core is so important that they can’t be change? Had they won anything if significant? Had they played dominated hockey in the playoffs that showed they were close? They made it to the 2nd round ONCE in the past 8 years(6 years with JT). If they can’t get anything done with THREE 10mil plus players, what’s the confidence in believing they can get it done with FOUR 11mil players.
The cap goes up for every team yet there are/were only 3 other teams with more than one player over 10mil and two of those teams done it as a rewarding contracts as both teams WON CUPs.

If Vegas is willing to give Pietra plus picks for MM, you take that deal and run.
If Blues is willing to part Parayko and Binnington plus picks for JT, you take that deal and run.
I failed to see how having Pietra, Parakyo and Binnington instead of MM and JT is a downgrade to the Leafs?
As the Leafs can still use the remaining money to spend on Domi, Bert and Marchessault

Leafs and edmonton don't play the same style... Toronto was playing a high defensive style and edmontom a high offensive type of game

And like i saif if you get something who upgrading significantly the team yes, if ypu just get pick and prospect and doing it to clear cap space... it's a pretty bad idea to trade Marner.

and yes trading mm for pietrangelo or jt for parayko would make sense but exemple trading marner for Parayko will just make the team worst, it's what i said since the begginning. If Tre make a move, need to be for to upgrade the team overal and not a desesperate move like we already did with Kadri and like 90% of trade offer i read here was desesperate move

Nobody is disagreeing with you about building a D.
I would even build a new core with Dmen.
But the Leafs can’t build a proper Dcore without moving out the current core.
leafs having 18M and pretty good option this off-season to fix it.

leafs need a #2 and #3

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurtz

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Pure futures + trying to find breakout candidates

Screenshot 2024-06-01 104303.png
Screenshot 2024-06-01 104312.png

Screenshot 2024-06-01 104351.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-01 104351.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-01 104351.png
    162.8 KB · Views: 2

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Jon Cooper said it best. The Atlantic is the best and it's a gauntlet. Tampa, Boston and Toronto: anyone can beat anyone. Florida is now even better than those three.

Just keep getting better. The cap is going up and they finally have money to work with. Treliving has to make smart moves. Find our Bennetts and Forslings. Work to repair Marner's relationship with this city.
Goal is to win the Cup and not a round.
You are destined to face tough teams on route to winning the Cup.

Just don’t have faith in the same core

Reactions: Captain Crunch

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I hope the plan makes sense... because dumping more cap space into wingers seems like a bad idea

4m to 4.5m seems reasonable for him. 4.75m max on 5-6 year deal. Anything higher then that I would move on.

To me in a proper lineup, Bert would playing 2nd line winger / 3rd line winger.. not a 1st line winger. There are plenty of middle 6 forwards in FA you could get for cheaper.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
4m to 4.5m seems reasonable for him. 4.75m max on 5-6 year deal. Anything higher then that I would move on.

To me in a proper lineup, Bert would playing 2nd line winger / 3rd line winger.. not a 1st line winger. There are plenty of middle 6 forwards in FA you could get for cheaper.

Hyman contract is the comparable IMO. I wouldn't go over $5.2M x 8 years or $5.8 x 5 years.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I hope the plan makes sense... because dumping more cap space into wingers seems like a bad idea

Him and Domi I think are near locks for extensions at this point. They're both traditional Tre guys, Burt in particular has been linked to the Leafs for years going back to Dubas. And Tre traditionally likes to lock in his vet support players.

Which means they're either going to go potentially cheaper on goalie and bet on Woll and a vet 1B and/or they're planning on moving out a bigger contract

With that said, I don't think Domi and Burt will make more than 9-10 mil combined. So not that large of a departure from the current capits Domi Probably in for more of a raise

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Hyman contract is the comparable IMO. I wouldn't go over $5.2M x 8 years or $5.8 x 5 years.
I’d walk for both those contracts. I liked Bert, but he didn’t blow me away.. Couldn’t cycle the puck and make plays with the big boys nor could he PK and be trusted in the final mins of a game like how Hyman was here.

Toronto needs to find a win in FA in the middle 6 wingers department, not pay a tad more than a fair contract.

These are the following that could play middle 6 winger for Toronto for cheaper and could get 20-20 in Toronto

Mantha
Olafsson
Perron
Perason
Tofolli
Ardvisson
Duclair
Joshua
Trenin

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Him and Domi I think are near locks for extensions at this point. They're both traditional Tre guys, Burt in particular has been linked to the Leafs for years going back to Dubas. And Tre traditionally likes to lock in his vet support players.

Which means they're either going to go potentially cheaper on goalie and bet on Woll and a vet 1B and/or they're planning on moving out a bigger contract

With that said, I don't think Domi and Burt will make more than 9-10 mil combined. So not that large of a departure from the current capits Domi Probably in for more of a raise

Something has to give if they are both brought back. Even without a raise, that's around 9M or so of the 18-20M to spend and there's a long list of very good defenders right now.

It's a long off-season with a lot of different ways of going about it though so we'll see I guess. I hope their plan works out but I can't say I'm not nervous as hell about what they are gonna do.

Reactions: Kurtz and Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Something has to give if they are both brought back. Even without a raise, that's around 9M or so of the 18-20M to spend and there's a long list of very good defenders right now.

It's a long off-season with a lot of different ways of going about it though so we'll see I guess. I hope their plan works out but I can't say I'm not nervous as hell about what they are gonna do.

I'd be willing to give term, especially long-term if it brought the aav down enough. 2030-2032 The team can either rebuild, or they can find a way like other teams to have to just dump the contracts if it comes down to

Reactions: SprDaVE

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I’d walk for both those contracts. I liked Bert, but he didn’t blow me away.. Couldn’t cycle the puck and make plays with the big boys nor could he PK and be trusted in the final mins of a game like how Hyman was here.

Toronto needs to find a win in FA in the middle 6 wingers department, not pay a tad more than a fair contract.

These are the following that could play middle 6 winger for Toronto for cheaper and could get 20-20 in Toronto

Mantha
Olafsson
Perron
Perason
Tofolli
Ardvisson
Duclair
Joshua
Trenin

Happy to replace Bertuzzi with Mantha. I think he'll thrive with Berube. Toffoli will be even more expensive and he's older.

The rest all come with with their own set of risks. If they can get Olafsson + Arvidsson + Joshua with a combined salary a bit over Bertuzzi, that would be interesting but it's not likely.

I think Bertuzzi is actually a pretty strong playmaker, saw a lot of flubbed plays and Keefe never seemed to let him get comfortable. I'm not desperate to have him back, but it's a gamble that I'm ok with.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Seems to be a lot of conjecture out there with Marner, Chicago & Seth Jones. We shall see.
I still think it's gunna be Jones + TOR 1st for Marner.

Some of theses ideas are just so ridiculous no other team would consider them. Wright++. Or Theodore++. The Leafs would be lucky to get either player 1 for 1

Reactions: jaric1862

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I am totally fine with Bertuzzi coming back, in fact at a reasonable cap hit I’d be happy. I think he’s someone who will benefit a lot from a coaching change and having Berube here. If you can get him at 5 or under, I’d be happy. Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi worked really well, would be excited to see what they can do under Berube. Plus it’s important to surround Matthews with two guys who won’t put up with shit or back down.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I am totally fine with Bertuzzi coming back, in fact at a reasonable cap hit I’d be happy. I think he’s someone who will benefit a lot from a coaching change and having Berube here. If you can get him at 5 or under, I’d be happy. Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi worked really well, would be excited to see what they can do under Berube. Plus it’s important to surround Matthews with two guys who won’t put up with shit or back down.

Domi wants 6m. Bert 7m? Of they dont come in under 9m together, they need to go.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
i,m agree but how many complete series Muzzin played in hos 5 year in Toronto? 2 get a player injured don't help tou to win series...

Leafs and edmonton don't play the same style... Toronto was playing a high defensive style and edmontom a high offensive type of game

And like i saif if you get something who upgrading significantly the team yes, if ypu just get pick and prospect and doing it to clear cap space... it's a pretty bad idea to trade Marner.

and yes trading mm for pietrangelo or jt for parayko would make sense but exemple trading marner for Parayko will just make the team worst, it's what i said since the begginning. If Tre make a move, need to be for to upgrade the team overal and not a desesperate move like we already did with Kadri and like 90% of trade offer i read here was desesperate move

leafs need a #2 and #3

and yes trading mm for pietrangelo or jt for parayko would make sense but exemple trading marner for Parayko will just make the team worst, it's what i sa8d since the begginning. If Tre make a move, need to be for to really upgrade the team overal and not a desesperate move like we already did with Kadri and like 90% of trade offer i read here was looking like a desesperate move

leafs need a #2 and #3
MM cap space can be use on UFAs who actually score in the playoffs.

Anyhow, glad you are coming around to the idea that the Goal is to win the Cup and not have the existing core winning the Cup.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Domi wants 6m. Bert 7m? Of they dont come in under 9m together, they need to go.
Domi is not getting 6 million, that’s just media throwing out stupid shit for clicks. Coming off basically his best season in Chicago, Domi was able to get was a 1 year 3 million dollar deal… All of a sudden he’s going to get 6 million on a long term deal when he had a worse season overall? That doesn’t make any sense.

Reactions: LeafChief and Kurtz

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I've never had faith in the support. I still have some faith in the core though I wouldn't mind a shakeup as long as it's a return I can stomach.
That’s the thing. It really depends on the package coming back. If it’s pure future, then the use of cap space on players will be the package and not just futures alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad