GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I think Jarnkrok and Liljegren are likely to be gone this summer. I highlighted and bolded all the new contracts we have to sign, and I also highlighted Jarnkrok for the purposes of crunching cap numbers when you subtract him if he's traded.

Next summer, the Tavares money can be spent to improve the D, bring in a big goalie if Woll isn't stepping up, and then also bring in a cheaper top 9 forward to replace Tavares for cheaper. Cowan or Minten could maybe do that though, and the money can be focused on mostly on the D and maybe a goalie if that's needed. Hopefully it's not, if Woll has a really good season.

If a Marner trade happens, that will likely move some cap money from forward to defense, and the D can be fully restructured now instead of next summer. Marner and Tavares both staying this summer prevents that for cap reasons.

15 signed roster player = $66.97m
3 RFAs 4 UFAs Jarnkrok = $20.73m cap space to play with

UFA (5.0) Matthews Marner
Knies Tavares Nylander
ROBERTSON (2.2) Holmberg JARNKROK (2.1)
McMann Kampf DEWAR (1.1)
Reaves
Abruzzese (or Gregor if he signs $0.8m)

Rielly UFA (5.2)
McCabe Benoit
UFA (1.3) LILJEGREN (2.2)
Timmins

Woll
UFA (1.6)

Sign the 3rd pairing LD and the goalie to 1 year contracts only.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Supposedly Jordan Schmaltz who's known for calling some things says the Leafs and Bertuzzi are looking at a 3yr x 4.75 million a year deal. If that's true at all, that would be some great work by Treliving.

That would explain why the Leafs want to re-sign him if it's around the price it'll take. But I think Schmaltz was just spitballing.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Why are so many people contemplating dumping Timmins, who was good whenever he played and is signed for a bargain 1.1M, while also proposing to re-sign Edmundson (who sucked) and/or give 2M+ to Liljegren (who also sucked outside of a few brief stretches like when Rielly was suspended)?
You forgot to mention he’s from Thorold 👍

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Schmaltz has ties to a lot of NHL players. I’m surprised he’s speculating a number/term much lower than the rest of the public. Usually media guys with player ties tend to drive the price up for players.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
That would explain why the Leafs want to re-sign him if it's around the price it'll take. But I think Schmaltz was just spitballing.

Schmaltz broke a bunch of moves at the deadline this year. There may be something here.

That would be a really good contract and would set the tone for an appropriate Domi re-signing (hopefully).

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Yeah I don’t mind that number for Bert, does domi come back as 2nd line C ? His fo% was solid . But under for 4 with term

Otherwise id kick tires on Henrique

I think they need to go all in on Mo tour. The that can qb pp, has a shot , playing top mins against rangers d , and apparently great locker room guy . I’m saying 7 x 7.5 all in

Reactions: horner

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Sigh ...

Which Bertuzzi?

The one who ate time and accomplished nothing, or the one who produced with Matthews?

I suppose if you have to re-sign Bertuzzi to fill the roster ...
Rinse - repeat

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Why are so many people contemplating dumping Timmins, who was good whenever he played and is signed for a bargain 1.1M, while also proposing to re-sign Edmundson (who sucked) and/or give 2M+ to Liljegren (who also sucked outside of a few brief stretches like when Rielly was suspended)?

Not interested at all in Timmins. Edmundson is a far more useful player.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
These lists always seem to disappoint. You’d hope for someone that’s paid to write about hockey they could write about some deep cuts instead of the players everyone already knows are going to be UFA’s.
Keep in mind much of the audience is probably ignorant of what is going on, and spend their time doing useful endeavors and aren't here or browsing the web for this crap.

Such losers that know as much about free agency as paid failed journalists.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
The fact player did it in different team, sifferent system doesn't mean they will do it in Toronto.

Bertuzzi is a great he had been great the previous year with Boston with 5 goal and this season the only 1 they scored was an accident...

Hyman is a great exemple of a player who didn't look the same way with 2 different team.

the 1st year when leafs traded for him at TDL, where he need to learn no system, new teammate and whatever. Most of the time its not when D like this are the best.. Exemple mcdonaugh, indholm same or Ekholm in the defensive side of the game and had a better impact year 2.

year 2 been injured gm 2 vs cbs
year 3 been injured gm 6 vs mtl
year 4 playing the series( and for me its not even close to be the series leafs played last 20 year).
year 5 played 4 game and missed the rest of season+playoff.

so i don't where was your 3nd series? he missed 3 of 5 season he was in Toronto
He got traded here in 2018/19 season and played 30 regular season games which is almost half the season. Plenty of time to learn the systems and we lose in 7 games to Boston and Muzzin played in all 7 games.

Year 2 he missed 3/5 games and we lose in 5. Again, this is against a team that had PLD as their leading scorer with 49 points in 70 games. Korpisalo or a rookie Merzlikins was their goalie. No excuses here even if Muzzin missed 3 games. Ekholm first season they swept a much better LA team and funny enough Korpisalo was the goalie for LA.

Year 3 he misses 1 game in a 7 game series against a team that wasn't a playoff team but only got a chance was because of Covid.

Year 4 which is the last time he really played hockey and might be his last time playing hockey ever he played all 7 games and we lose.

Muzzin is just as good as Ekholm and we made that trade like Edmonton did. Only difference is Edmontons stars have carried them to the 2nd round in the 1st season that trade was made and in year 2 they are 1 win away from going to the cup finals. The excuses are getting out of hand for this group, especially when trying to blame everywhere else. We have 3 guys who are making 11 million dollars plus and we really try and blame depth scoring, defence and goaltending because these players shutdown after game 3 every year. It doesn't matter where they play, any team that has 3 players being paid like a top 5-10 player and can't carry out of the 1st round after all these years is gonna be criticized and rightfully so.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Sigh ...

Which Bertuzzi?

The one who ate time and accomplished nothing, or the one who produced with Matthews?

I suppose if you have to re-sign Bertuzzi to fill the roster ...
Rinse - repeat

Yeah he's pretty bad to have around I guess. Should find a guys who doesn't like the contact and can do what Bertuzzi does to really do that rinse and repeat thing you're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad