Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I would agree if her family was in any way local to Toronto... but she's an American from Michigan.

That's fair... and if Torts has found something in him... like you've said, he isn't going anywhere....

In a system like ours... which is.. um, we have a system? Risto would likely revert back to the not so good variant, and that contract is kind of ugly.

Yeah like 50% retained would be the bare minimum to take on a random risk like that.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
What type of contract is Hanifin going to get?

I think his play this season has definitely established himself as a really good player.

If I knew he would sign an extension, I'd be willing to give up some very good assets as he's the type of talent our blueline badly needs going forward even if he's another LH'ed defencemen.

$7.5 x 8 with Calgary allegedly, before Calgary pulled the deal off the table due to their struggles... so... on a 7 year deal, you are looking at that... at least.

Noah Hanifin was close on $7.5M AAV with Calgary Flames, may be dealt with extension in place | TSN.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Reactions: Buds17

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don't think that really matters if you're thinking of sending him to Vegas or Dallas I don't think she'll want to move this soon after giving birth.

Even if Detroit wanted him back, it's still a hassle.

How has his play helped his value for his next contract? I'd say... it's not done him any favours.

Moving somewhere else gives him a chance for some redemption, and perhaps a better long-term pay, than he's going to get if he stays... Send Ashley home for a couple of months to live with her parents in Michigan, and focus on the maximization of his earnings.

Is that a contract that we could potentially add with the cap going up or would it limit our ability too much?

We could squeeze it... but do we need another LHD, who isn't all that physical? I like the player, and if we didn't have a Rielly, I'd say absolutely go for him... but we have so many more needs than just a #2LHD...

weems

Jul 3, 2008
How has his play helped his value for his next contract? I'd say... it's not done him any favours.

Moving somewhere else gives him a chance for some redemption, and perhaps a better long-term pay, than he's going to get if he stays... Send Ashley home for a couple of months to live with her parents in Michigan, and focus on the maximization of his earnings.

We could squeeze it... but do we need another LHD, who isn't all that physical? I like the player, and if we didn't have a Rielly, I'd say absolutely go for him... but we have so many more needs than just a #2LHD...

I guess it depends where you see Brodie as a player and McCabe.

Lets say Brodie doesn't return.

Is McCabe a 2nd pairing LHD on a championship team or is it more optimal to have him playing on a great third pairing.

We need to add a legit defencemen at some point that can both create offense but trusted defensively and there isn't many of them.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Is McCabe a 2nd pairing LHD on a championship team or is it more optimal to have him playing on a great third pairing.

We need to add a legit defencemen at some point that can both create offense but trusted defensively and there isn't many of them.
Brodie doesn't return.... who is Mo's partner? I'd say the priority is getting someone to partner Mo, for the most minutes on the ice.

At this point, we have Lilly and Timmins for the right side next year, and surely we don't see either of those as Mo partners.

To spend both assets, and cap on a LHD, when we badly need a RHD, seems questionable to me.

By my numbers... we probably have approx $10.5 mil, to add two top four D.... Trading for $4 mil Larsson/Gudas, and $6.5 mil to spend on a UFA... Forsling/Hanifin... would work... but I doubt Hanifin goes that low... maybe Forsling doesn't either.

Reactions: weems

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Is that a contract that we could potentially add with the cap going up or would it limit our ability too much?
It's probably not in the club's best interests to be paying another defenceman "Morgan Rielly money" (as we might need a couple of D for the group of six, a top six forward and likely more than one new forward overall, not to mention a decent enough goalie to pair with Woll).

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Out:
Klingberg - 4.15
Brodie - 5.0

Raise for Liljegren and Benoit

LD
Rielly
Hanifin
Benoit

RD
?
Liljegren
Niemela
Timmins
Villeneuve

LD/RD
McCabe

Rielly - McCabe
Hanifin - Liljegren
Benoit - Niemela/Timmins/Villeneuve

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
What type of contract is Hanifin going to get?

I think his play this season has definitely established himself as a really good player.

If I knew he would sign an extension, I'd be willing to give up some very good assets as he's the type of talent our blueline badly needs going forward even if he's another LH'ed defencemen.
Doesn’t he want to play for a US team?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Re: my Liljegren/Robertson for rental+pick idea, forgot that we did the exact thing last year with Sandin, so not unprecedented.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Re: my Liljegren/Robertson for rental+pick idea, forgot that we did the exact thing last year with Sandin, so not unprecedented.

Different GM and different circumstance. Sandin was replaced with McCabe really, which has worked out quite a bit I'd say.

Not to say they can't make a trade using both or either player of course but seems very irresponsible in our current situation. It would have to be a very good deal now and long-term.

Last edited:
Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The replacement isn't nearly the issue that the NMC is.

Given that his wife just gave birth, there likely isn't a snowball's chance he waives.

I think the opportunity to play consistent top six minutes plus 1st unit pp time would convince him.

Regular season production is going to be one of the biggest factors in how much money het gets this offseason

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Could someone give a run down on the rumours?

In the swirling vortex of rumors, a particularly intriguing whisper has begun to resonate louder than the rest, hinting at a significant trade discussion between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the St. Louis Blues.

According to NHL trade rumors, the proposed trade would see the Blues sending defenseman Colton Parayko and forward Samuel Blais to Toronto in exchange for forward Ryan Reaves, center Calle Järnkrok, promising defensive prospect Topi Niemelä, and a 2024 first-round pick.

Why This Trade Works for the Toronto Maple Leafs

The Maple Leafs have been on the hunt for a top-four shutdown defenseman capable of bolstering their blue line for a deep playoff run. Colton Parayko, at 30 years old, fits this bill perfectly. With Parayko, the Leafs would secure another 3-4 years of solid, reliable play from a defenseman who knows what it takes to win. Standing at 6’6”, Parayko’s physical presence, combined with his defensive acumen and ability to eat significant minutes against the opposition’s top lines, would be invaluable. Furthermore, Parayko is signed for another six years at a $6.5 million AAV, providing long-term stability to the Leafs’ defensive core.

Samuel Blais, on the other hand, would add depth and grit to the Leafs’ forward group. Known for his physical play and ability to chip in offensively, Blais could become an integral part of the Leafs’ bottom-six forward group, bringing energy and toughness to the lineup.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I think the opportunity to play consistent top six minutes plus 1st unit pp time would convince him.

Regular season production is going to be one of the biggest factors in how much money het gets this offseason
Perhaps, but I think we're probably more interested in moving him than Tre is.

But I think unless he was on a team that was nearly assured of missing the playoffs, then he may, but it's still a lot of domestic bother.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Perhaps, but I think we're probably more interested in moving than Tre is.

But I think unless he was on a team that was nearly assured of missing the playoffs, then he may, but it's still a lot of domestic bother.

Maybe. Certainly we can't say for sure either way as outsiders looking in

But he's currently on pace for about 10 goals. Unless that changes dramatically he's going to be heading to a fairly significant aav decrease on his next deal.

Probably has to resort to another 1 year 'show me' contract

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

In the swirling vortex of rumors, a particularly intriguing whisper has begun to resonate louder than the rest, hinting at a significant trade discussion between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the St. Louis Blues.

According to NHL trade rumors, the proposed trade would see the Blues sending defenseman Colton Parayko and forward Samuel Blais to Toronto in exchange for forward Ryan Reaves, center Calle Järnkrok, promising defensive prospect Topi Niemelä, and a 2024 first-round pick.

The Maple Leafs have been on the hunt for a top-four shutdown defenseman capable of bolstering their blue line for a deep playoff run. Colton Parayko, at 30 years old, fits this bill perfectly. With Parayko, the Leafs would secure another 3-4 years of solid, reliable play from a defenseman who knows what it takes to win. Standing at 6’6”, Parayko’s physical presence, combined with his defensive acumen and ability to eat significant minutes against the opposition’s top lines, would be invaluable. Furthermore, Parayko is signed for another six years at a $6.5 million AAV, providing long-term stability to the Leafs’ defensive core.

Samuel Blais, on the other hand, would add depth and grit to the Leafs’ forward group. Known for his physical play and ability to chip in offensively, Blais could become an integral part of the Leafs’ bottom-six forward group, bringing energy and toughness to the lineup.

In this hypothetical scenario, I think we'd be better off losing Blais from the deal, keeping Jarnkrok and hashing out the rest.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Yes please.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Maybe. Certainly we can't say for sure either way as outsiders looking in

But he's currently on pace for about 10 goals. Unless that changes dramatically he's going to be heading to a fairly significant aav decrease on his next deal.

Probably has to resort to another 1 year 'show me' contract
Oh, there's always some nut GM that throws money away on July 1st.

Reactions: rumman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad