Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Fair enough. Fortunately Torts and Shaw have made a big difference.

The risk for is us we’re not getting Torts in the deal so it’s not clear how he’ll perform in Keefe’s system. But he’s a unique asset. High risk and reward.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020

In the swirling vortex of rumors, a particularly intriguing whisper has begun to resonate louder than the rest, hinting at a significant trade discussion between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the St. Louis Blues.

According to NHL trade rumors, the proposed trade would see the Blues sending defenseman Colton Parayko and forward Samuel Blais to Toronto in exchange for forward Ryan Reaves, center Calle Järnkrok, promising defensive prospect Topi Niemelä, and a 2024 first-round pick.

Why This Trade Works for the Toronto Maple Leafs

The Maple Leafs have been on the hunt for a top-four shutdown defenseman capable of bolstering their blue line for a deep playoff run. Colton Parayko, at 30 years old, fits this bill perfectly. With Parayko, the Leafs would secure another 3-4 years of solid, reliable play from a defenseman who knows what it takes to win. Standing at 6’6”, Parayko’s physical presence, combined with his defensive acumen and ability to eat significant minutes against the opposition’s top lines, would be invaluable. Furthermore, Parayko is signed for another six years at a $6.5 million AAV, providing long-term stability to the Leafs’ defensive core.

Samuel Blais, on the other hand, would add depth and grit to the Leafs’ forward group. Known for his physical play and ability to chip in offensively, Blais could become an integral part of the Leafs’ bottom-six forward group, bringing energy and toughness to the lineup.
Sucks to loose our 1st and Niemela but that would be the start of the cost for a top pairing dman. I’d do that deal.

Reactions: ashs and DarkKnight

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto

In the swirling vortex of rumors, a particularly intriguing whisper has begun to resonate louder than the rest, hinting at a significant trade discussion between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the St. Louis Blues.

According to NHL trade rumors, the proposed trade would see the Blues sending defenseman Colton Parayko and forward Samuel Blais to Toronto in exchange for forward Ryan Reaves, center Calle Järnkrok, promising defensive prospect Topi Niemelä, and a 2024 first-round pick.

Why This Trade Works for the Toronto Maple Leafs

The Maple Leafs have been on the hunt for a top-four shutdown defenseman capable of bolstering their blue line for a deep playoff run. Colton Parayko, at 30 years old, fits this bill perfectly. With Parayko, the Leafs would secure another 3-4 years of solid, reliable play from a defenseman who knows what it takes to win. Standing at 6’6”, Parayko’s physical presence, combined with his defensive acumen and ability to eat significant minutes against the opposition’s top lines, would be invaluable. Furthermore, Parayko is signed for another six years at a $6.5 million AAV, providing long-term stability to the Leafs’ defensive core.

Samuel Blais, on the other hand, would add depth and grit to the Leafs’ forward group. Known for his physical play and ability to chip in offensively, Blais could become an integral part of the Leafs’ bottom-six forward group, bringing energy and toughness to the lineup.
What the Leafs definitely need to do is add another overrated, overpaid player for sure.

Reactions: Rude Dog

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
No idea how management is going to fix issues with this team. We have no cap space or very little to make much of a difference. Why they continue to fork out so much dough for the top 4/5 is beyond me. Once again it will bite them in the ass if they make the playoffs etc

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
What the Leafs definitely need to do is add another overrated, overpaid player for sure.

Parayko is a top pairing D at 6.5M for 6 more years with a cap that is set to go up considerably over the next 3-4 years. If his play stays where it is he's going to be a bargain in short order.

Reactions: DarkKnight

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Different GM and different circumstance. Sandin was replaced with McCabe really, which has worked out quite a bit I'd say.

Not to say they can't make a trade using both or either player of course but seems very irresponsible in our current situation. It would have to be a very good deal now and long-term.
If we assume 1st for retained and extended Tanev (the biggest smoke), then look at this summer UFA RHD crop, it's not hard to imagine Tre putting his stamp on the D and Lilly finding his money and future role given to someone else.

But the more I think of it- it's an offseason move.
Rielly-Tanev
McCabe/Benoit- Brodie/Lilly x 2

Has some intriguing upside, and Lilly is a part of that. Maybe he emerges and is part of the solution. Maybe he's moved to restock the cupboards. No need to decide in Feb.

But building on that D corps.... I'm convincing myself to be optimistic. Tanev and a decent 3C fix a lot of holes in this team.

Domi moves up to 2C -> Neutral/slight downgrade with this version of JT at C
JT to LW2 -> Massive upgrade as JT is reinvigorated by lack of C responsibility
Bert to LW1-> patience pays off, he clicks with M&M
Player X to 3C -> upgrades pk, reduces need to shelter
Knies to 3LW -> lessons learned in heavy matchup minutes payoff in a lesser role
Holmberg to 4LW - upgrade on Gregor, gives Kampf the possession winger he's been missing
Gregor over to 4RW -> upgrade on McMann/Reaves
Tanev to 1RD -> upgrade on Brodie, solidifies top pair
Brodie to 2/3RD -> regains form in lesser role, shows still top4 dman

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He's what... 62nd in the league for C's in points? Assists count too you know... That's borderline 2C, High end 3C production, which is remarkable given he's apparently playing with slugs.

Pacing for 42 points, over 50% in the dot, at $3 million seems like a pretty good deal to me.

On a team starved for secondary production, we have Domi producing at an acceptable rate... but let's get rid of our secondary scoring... because?
1 goal and 1 assist in last 13 games.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You are either keeping Bert and Max or trading both IMO. I believe you posted we should move Bert.
WE should move Bert.. He doesn't fit here, $5.5 mil contract... give him a shot somewhere it might work for him, for a better next contract. He does nothing positive for us... less points than Domi, with more ice time, and better linemates.

Domi for $3 mil is still value, particularly as we are weak at C... but yes, we need more from him than we've had recently... Of course if we bitch about him, he'll probably put a point up tonight.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If we assume 1st for retained and extended Tanev (the biggest smoke), then look at this summer UFA RHD crop, it's not hard to imagine Tre putting his stamp on the D and Lilly finding his money and future role given to someone else.

But the more I think of it- it's an offseason move.
Rielly-Tanev
McCabe/Benoit- Brodie/Lilly x 2

Has some intriguing upside, and Lilly is a part of that. Maybe he emerges and is part of the solution. Maybe he's moved to restock the cupboards. No need to decide in Feb.

But building on that D corps.... I'm convincing myself to be optimistic. Tanev and a decent 3C fix a lot of holes in this team.

Domi moves up to 2C -> Neutral/slight downgrade with this version of JT at C
JT to LW2 -> Massive upgrade as JT is reinvigorated by lack of C responsibility
Bert to LW1-> patience pays off, he clicks with M&M
Player X to 3C -> upgrades pk, reduces need to shelter
Knies to 3LW -> lessons learned in heavy matchup minutes payoff in a lesser role
Holmberg to 4LW - upgrade on Gregor, gives Kampf the possession winger he's been missing
Gregor over to 4RW -> upgrade on McMann/Reaves
Tanev to 1RD -> upgrade on Brodie, solidifies top pair
Brodie to 2/3RD -> regains form in lesser role, shows still top4 dman

I'd rather keep Liljegren and Robertson going into the next year given their age and ability to keep improving. Obviously there's a need to improve our defensive quality but it feels like it's just not the season to keep forking assets for band-aids.

There has been so much wasted cap space this season into average contributions. I don't know exactly how they fix and plug their holes, but using 2 developing players on the relative cheap side is a no go for me in our current state. If we were dominating or even a true contender, my feelings would be entirely different.

You have to give to get so I get the idea but I think the GM needs to figure out a shrewd and smart way to go into the off-season without blowing up a lot of future assets for 35 year old Chris Tanev, as much as I really like the player.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'd rather keep Liljegren and Robertson going into the next year given their age and ability to keep improving. Obviously there's a need to improve our defensive quality but it feels like it's just not the season to keep forking assets for band-aids.

There has been so much wasted cap space this season into average contributions. I don't know exactly how they fix and plug their holes, but using 2 developing players on the relative cheap side is a no go for me in our current state. If we were dominating or even a true contender, my feelings would be entirely different.

You have to give to get so I get the idea but I think the GM needs to figure out a shrewd and smart way to go into the off-season without blowing up a lot of future assets for 35 year old Chris Tanev, as much as I really like the player.
Giving up on young players like Liljegren and Robertson too soon, is why we are regularly upset about players that used to be here, that excel elsewhere.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
So the Leafs have little interest in trading their only top 60 pick over the next 3 years or their top prospects. Good luck finding an upgrade trade without that unless they get creative.

One exception may be Toronto. If the Maple Leafs trade this year’s first, they will have one pick in the top two rounds of the next three drafts (a first-rounder in 2026). It’s not impossible they decide to do move it, but they definitely prefer the opposite and aren’t interested in moving Easton Cowan, Matthew Knies or Fraser Minten (their most asked-about youth).

One case where I do believe they would have done so is if they had acquired both Chris Tanev and Nikita Zadorov, as they tried before the latter’s move to the Lions Gate Bridge. There’s no doubt in my mind the Maple Leafs want Tanev, but Calgary is holding to see if that first-rounder comes into play. It’s poker, but if Toronto really wanted to do that, it would be done already. We will see. He would help them, and they know it. (Maybe Toronto solves this by trying to trade for both Tanev and Noah Hanifin.) They are looking for another centre, as well.

I can only imagine how tired Tanev is of this, already. There are a lot of teams interested in him, but it’s a unique market. There are teams who aren’t ready to win this year, but are determined to be a playoff team next year (Ottawa). There are teams who aren’t yet sure if rentals make sense for them (New Jersey). There are teams who like him but find it tricky cap-wise and trade-wise (Boston, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Vancouver). I suspect Dallas lurks, which makes a lot of sense. Undoubtedly, there are others I’m missing. He’s the Taylor Swift of trade deadline coverage.

Other teams believe the Senators are extremely serious about Tanev — if not now, then if he hits the open market in the summer.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Tanev and Hanafin, eh? Imagine the cost.

I don't know how the hell they can pull that off. Seems really not feasible asset and cap space wise. And if they somehow find a way for Calgary to agree, the Leafs absolutely need to re-sign Hanifin and probably Tanev in the aftermath of the assets traded.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Laughton and Walker would be interesting targets. Just depends on the price to acquire.

Apparently Laughton has really fallen off this season, i wouldn't mind walker but I wonder if he's just more of that #4-#7 clump of D we already have that doesn't really move the needle

Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Leafs were linked to Bert for a while too and then it happened. GMs have changed but the scouts, stats guys and rest of the front office remain the same

He fits exactly what the Leafs want in their 3rd line. A meat and potatoes guy that can grind it and put up 30 ish points. He's locked up for a few years as well to a decent deal.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Apparently Laughton has really fallen off this season, i wouldn't mind walker but I wonder if he's just more of that #4-#7 clump of D we already have that doesn't really move the needle

He's a good grinder that can forecheck well, hits a good amount, plays a lot on the PK (top PK forward for them with Cates) but he's very average offensively. I'd be very careful spending a lot on that kind of player as well but he'd give us a pretty solid boost in terms of physicality, energy and forecheck.

As for Walker, he's pretty much a solid mid pair defenseman. He's 2nd in D scoring for the Flyers with barely any PP time. He PKs a lot and his defensive metrics look great. He'd help a lot defensively and add some skating to the defensive pairings. For my money, him and McCabe would make a great pairing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad