Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He's a good grinder that can forecheck well, hits a good amount, plays a lot on the PK (top PK forward for them with Cates) but he's a very average offensively. I'd be very careful spending a lot on that kind of player as well but he'd give us a pretty solid boost in terms of physicality, energy and forecheck.

As for Walker, he's pretty much a solid mid pair defenseman. He's 2nd in D scoring for the Flyers with barely any PP time. He PKs a lot and his defensive metrics look great. He'd help a lot defensively and add some skating to the defensive pairings. For my money, him and McCabe would make a great pairing.

We certainly aren't getting enough scoring from the backend so Walker sounds interesting but i think we need somebody who can put up some offense at 3C, our bottom 6 is killing us and it makes our scoring to inconsistent imo

Reactions: SprDaVE

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Nashville has all the roles they need to fill if they sell off.

Goalie: Jussi Saros (Top Goalie w/term)
Defenseman: Alex Carrier (RHD Top Four UFA)
Bottom-Six: Colton Sissons (3rd Line Defensive Centre w/Term).

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.

Okay.... but how much for the Moustache? :nod:

Edit:

but honestly, no thank you to Carrier. He is another very small guy we dont need more of.

Ideally, we find a partner for Morgan first then a second pairing guy for Liljegren.

Rielly-XXX
XXX- Liljegren
Benoit- Mccabe

just watching Benoit-Mccabe run amok tonight made me certain that's gotta stay together.

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

God imagine what a package would cost lol

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Have to think Tampa will be looking for a defenseman now as well.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
People would dislike Laughton very quickly considering what the price would be. He's been very blah this season.

Yeah the situation would have to be in part of a "buy low" deal. The Leafs have been linked to Laughton for a long time it feels like. If they are expecting something big, which seems to be the case, that's where you walk.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Okay.... but how much for the Moustache? :nod:

Edit:

but honestly, no thank you to Carrier. He is another very small guy we dont need more of.

Ideally, we find a partner for Morgan first then a second pairing guy for Liljegren.

Rielly-XXX
XXX- Liljegren
Benoit- Mccabe

just watching Benoit-Mccabe run amok tonight made me certain that's gotta stay together.
I think ideally you'd want:

Rielly xxx
McCabe xxx
Benoit Liljegren

Rielly needs like a Tanev type.
McCabe needs like a Durzi/Forsling type.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
I don't think you can move Bert in a reasonable hockey trade at this point. He just doesn't have the production.

I think the best we can hope for is we hang on to him and hope his vaunted playoff performance surfaces in our favour.

Still looking for that minor, relatively cheap upgrade to defense and penalty killing I think. If we can dump Kampf in the process I guess you consider it at this point....

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
What if we buy AND sell this deadline? I read a few opinions that with the prices paid for Lindholm and Monahan maybe we could get something good for Bertuzzi and/or Domi.

Let's say we get a 1st for Bertuzzi. Maybe that's a reach but he does have a playoff track record.

Trades:

Bertuzzi for 1st

1st (from Bertuzzi), Brodie, Hirvonen for Parayko

1st 2024, Kampf, Abruzzese, Timmins for Hanifin (8* $7.5)

Knies Matthews Robertson
Tavares Marner Domi
Jarnkrok Holmberg Nylander
Gregor Gambrell McMann

Rielly Parayko
Hanifin Liljegren
McCabe Benoit
Giordano Lagesson

Woll
Samsonov
Jones

Our forwards are weaker, but we have cap space to add depth guys...maybe even a Marlie (Tverberg?). We have a much improved D for years locked in. We graduate some kids into the forward rankings next year (Minten, Tverberg, Cowan, Grebonkin?)

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
I think ideally you'd want:

Rielly xxx
McCabe xxx
Benoit Liljegren

Rielly needs like a Tanev type.
McCabe needs like a Durzi/Forsling type.
Nope, I wouldnt want that. What I would want is what I wrote, which is why I wrote it that way.

What if we buy AND sell this deadline? I read a few opinions that with the prices paid for Lindholm and Monahan maybe we could get something good for Bertuzzi and/or Domi.

Let's say we get a 1st for Bertuzzi. Maybe that's a reach but he does have a playoff track record.

Trades:

Bertuzzi for 1st

Knies Matthews Robertson
Tavares Marner Domi
Gregor Gambrell McMann

Rielly Parayko
Hanifin Liljegren
McCabe Benoit
Giordano Lagesson

Woll
Samsonov
Jones

Our forwards are weaker, but we have cap space to add depth guys...maybe even a Marlie (Tverberg?). We have a much improved D for years locked in. We graduate some kids into the forward rankings next year (Minten, Tverberg, Cowan, Grebonkin?)
Neither of those guys is my preferred piece, necessarily but thats the overall plan/ idea that I could get behind for sure.

• Haha
Reactions: aingefan and arso40

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I'd love Hanifin but I'd be shocked to see him re-sign here. I get the feeling he is the type that will either want to go to the Bruins or somewhere similar in the Metro division.

Reactions: weems

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010

Trades:

Bertuzzi for 1st

Knies Matthews Robertson
Tavares Marner Domi
Gregor Gambrell McMann

Rielly Parayko
Hanifin Liljegren
McCabe Benoit
Giordano Lagesson

Woll
Samsonov
Jones

Would love if that happened, but it’s almost too good to be true.

To have a competent D core would be awesome.

Reactions: conFABulator

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Trades:

Bertuzzi for 1st

If we can get a 1st for Bertuzzi, it's certainly worth doing.

I don't think a late 1st, a salary dump, and a B prospect gets you a top pairing defenseman locked in at a decent price.

I'd be shocked if this is close to the best offer Calgary gets.

unassisted

Oct 7, 2007

Fabbro is who we should be targeting from the Preds. Seems to have fallen out of favour there.

Reactions: Once and jiggy35

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Nope, I wouldnt want that. What I would want is what I wrote, which is why I wrote it that way.

Neither of those guys is my preferred piece, necessarily but thats the overall plan/ idea that I could get behind for sure.
Liljegren isn't a top 4 dman on a contender. He's closer to replacement level than he is top 4. And then you have McCabe playing his off side when there really wouldn't be any excuse to.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

Me neither on the two specific guys, but I don't want to over estimate what we can get for our assets. It would be a risk that locks us in. I think having Rielly, Parayko and Hanifin locked in for the next five years and reasonable money is a core to add to for sure. Liljegren slots in better, Benoit on a bottom pairing. Time to develop Niemela. McCabe as a complimentary piece.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
If we can get a 1st for Bertuzzi, it's certainly worth doing.

I don't think a late 1st, a salary dump, and a B prospect gets you a top pairing defenseman locked in at a decent price.

I'd be shocked if this is close to the best offer Calgary gets.
I picked two guys being rumoured to be on the move with the asking being a 1st +. Who knows what the actual acquisition cost of a player is. Could we turn Bertuzzi into a dman with term with a deal like this? Friedman just wrote that maybe we get Hanifin AND Tanev for our first and parts that are not Cowan, Minten, Niemela, etc. They are said to have had interest in Abruzzese (he played with Corinato at Harvard), and Kampf could be a hold or trade again piece for them. He is useful. Timmins is a wild card and it is always nice to get one of those as an extra piece in a trade.

The Parayko deal only makes sense of they want to move him. They have a funny D structure over there and may want to move out money on the back end. They get a first, Brodie (to even salaries) that they could retain on and move, and a prospect that is pretty highly thought of in Toronto.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Giving up on young players like Liljegren and Robertson too soon, is why we are regularly upset about players that used to be here, that excel elsewhere.
Cuts both ways. There's been guys we've given up on too soon (Moore/Marchment), there's been guys that we sold at their peak (Kapanen) there's been guys that we held on too long (Johnsson, Dermott). Sandin as yet undetermined.

There's no rule, just comes down to how much our management likes a given player and their future with the team, weighed against how much someone will pay for them. All you can hope for is being right more often than wrong- and getting value either way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad