Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Sort of, they are taking advantage of it by having 25 players on the roster but if they wanted to make a move they could demote or LTIR some guys to open that 4 million back up.

Roster size max is 23. Demoting two guys from 23 to 21 gives us just over $1.5 mil.

Woll is the only one eligible to LTIR, and that doesn't really do much for us... there isn't anyone else depending on how long until Jarnkrok is back. But neither are long-term solutions for our cap... they'll both be back, and we will need that room.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Right, but they would simply demote the guys who are currently using that Klingberg space in order to get it back.

Right... so they demote two guys, get an additional $1.5 mil in space, which really still isn't enough to do "much".

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Sort of, they are taking advantage of it by having 25 players on the roster but if they wanted to make a move they could demote or LTIR some guys to open that 4 million back up.
Pretty sure the roster max is 23

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Roster size max is 23. Demoting two guys from 23 to 21 gives us just over $1.5 mil.

Woll is the only one eligible to LTIR, and that doesn't really do much for us... there isn't anyone else depending on how long until Jarnkrok is back. But neither are long-term solutions for our cap... they'll both be back, and we will need that room.
Pretty sure the roster max is 23

A player going on IR opens a roster spot but not cap space. A player going on LTIR opens up both.

The Leafs have not placed Woll and Jarnkrok on LTIR. So they have technically 25 players on their roster right now without being able to go over the cap even more. Once they are healthy, they will have to make roster room to activate them.

If and when the Leafs get healthy and back to a 23 player roster, their cap space will be around 1.7M (it varies depending who is waived/demoted).

Last edited:
Reactions: VanW27 and ACC1224

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If and when the Leafs get healthy and back to a 23 player roster, their cap space will be around 1.7M (it varies depending who is waived/demoted).
And dropping to a 22 takes that to 2.5, and any roster player replaced contributes their cap hit. If thats Timmins + Reaves out for a forward and a d thats another 2.45

Reactions: SprDaVE

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
And dropping to a 22 takes that to 2.5, and any roster player replaced contributes their cap hit. If thats Timmins + Reaves out for a forward and a d thats another 2.45
Right. At the end of the day, a good amount of available cap space to make moves.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Would Treliving have the balls to admit what a colossal f*** up Reaves signing waS?

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
My guess is the deadline looks something like:

2024 5th for a bottom pair D who can maybe move up in a pinch. More of what we have, but just another option.

2024 5th and 2024 7th for a bottom 6 forward that can play centre and the wing. Essentially someone who can potentially move Domi back to the wing and also ensure Reaves and McMann aren't in the lineup unless there are many injuries.

These moves don't inspire much confidence nor really move the needle. But I truly think they know it would not be smart to buy in a big way this season, especially at the market prices this year. But also, the puppet masters will want some sort of buy. They likely wouldn't accept selling. Likely not standing pat either.

So this would give the illusion of a small buy without emptying the cupboard. Then Treliving can give a Ross Atkins spin about internal positive regression from the regulars (I always thought that word should be progression, but anyway).

This is just my prediction, so who knows.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think the Reaves we've seen the last couple times out is the player they thought they were signing.
I imagine they will happily keep him if he continues that level of play.

I was hoping to a see a response on the Marchment hit from him but nothing.

This is the game log for last 5 games;

1707413821493.png

I'd be surprised if he dressed for a playoff game.

Reactions: VanW27

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Bertuzzi @ 50% retained + 2024 1st top 12 protected
For
Roy from LA ( Looking to extend with us)

Villeneuve + 2024 3rd
For
Kovacevic from Montreal

Kampf + Liljegren
For
McBain from Arizona

Knies. Matthews. Marner
Domi. Tavares. Nylander
Robertson. McBain. Jarnkrok
Gregor. Holmberg. Reaves

Reilly. Roy
McCabe. Brodie
Benoit. Kovacevic

Woll
Sammy

We lose our 2024 1st + 3rd but gain longterm players with size and solidify our D. Then we only need to let brodie walk and add another d in the offseason.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think the Reaves we've seen the last couple times out is the player they thought they were signing.
I imagine they will happily keep him if he continues that level of play.

I Agree.

At 7-8 minutes a night he's what they want.

Have to say, unless they have ELSC players in the line-up, I'd rather they play less than 12 forwards.

Play and pay better 3rd. liners, and do away with sympathy ice time for 4th. liners.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

View attachment 816392

Not sure if he was on the ice with Marchment. Response is good but also you need to be careful in a close game.

Agreed, I wouldn't expect him in the playoffs unless things get out of hand.

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
Bertuzzi @ 50% retained + 2024 1st top 12 protected
For
Roy from LA ( Looking to extend with us)

Villeneuve + 2024 3rd
For
Kovacevic from Montreal

Kampf + Liljegren
For
McBain from Arizona

Knies. Matthews. Marner
Domi. Tavares. Nylander
Robertson. McBain. Jarnkrok
Gregor. Holmberg. Reaves

Reilly. Roy
McCabe. Brodie
Benoit. Kovacevic

Woll
Sammy

We lose our 2024 1st + 3rd but gain longterm players with size and solidify our D. Then we only need to let brodie walk and add another d in the offseason.
Arizona doesn’t consider this

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021

View attachment 816392

Keefe put out Benny and McCabe as soon as March came back on the ice and they smacked him up pretty good. Don't think Keefe was looking for a further Reavo response through the third.

March was dealt with all period though. We're not as soft a team as we used to be.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Risto would be... Not good. 3.5 mil is much better than 5 mil, but there's so much term.

He's basically been used as a sheltered 3rd pairing guy last couple seasons which have improved some of his stats. But that doesn't seem like a good trend if the plan is to play him in the top 4
Agreed. I don't care for any of this idea at all. An AAV of 5.1M is too much and 1.6M worth of retention for multiple years will undoubtedly have an uncomfortable cost in futures attached to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi and Menzinger

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Would Treliving have the balls to admit what a colossal f*** up Reaves signing waS?

Colossal f*** up? Are you on glue? Sure it hasn’t worked out, but $1.35M for a player who has brought the type of swagger and energy the Leafs haven’t had since Burke was the GM is not a bad gamble at all. I can highlight over 20 mistakes that fraud pathetic piece of shit loser GM Dubas made quite easily. People need to get over the Reaves signing and realize that although it hasn’t worked out, it’s an easily manageable contract.

Reactions: BayStBullies
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad