Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I think the first round pick will be moved for a player with term, and Treliving will separately find a way to acquire Tanev without having to give up the first round pick. I won't be surprised if they make big additions between now and March 8 as I think they know that they have to try to take advantage of how wide open the East is this season.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
People would dislike Laughton very quickly considering what the price would be. He's been very blah this season.
Yeah the situation would have to be in part of a "buy low" deal. The Leafs have been linked to Laughton for a long time it feels like. If they are expecting something big, which seems to be the case, that's where you walk.
Even his coach calls him inconsistent.... which we don't need more of.

""

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think the first round pick will be moved for a player with term, and Treliving will separately find a way to acquire Tanev without having to give up the first round pick. I won't be surprised if they make big additions between now and March 8 as I think they know that they have to try to take advantage of how wide open the East is this season.
I'm reminded of the phrase "often wrong, but never uncertain". I can only hope that Treliving is a bit more thoughtful than this and understands that you can't go all in every year, and that it makes more sense to pick your spots judiciously.

As of today, 13 teams including the "tire fire" Penguins have a better record in regulation than we do. Only an over the top homer could think that this team is poised to make noise in the playoffs.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I'm reminded of the phrase "often wrong, but never uncertain". I can only hope that Treliving is a bit more thoughtful than this and understands that you can't go all in every year, and that it makes more sense to pick your spots judiciously.

As of today, 13 teams including the "tire fire" Penguins have a better record in regulation than we do. Only an over the top homer could think that this team is poised to make noise in the playoffs.
I don't think it will be an "all in" exercise, but it's equally hard to envision a scenario where he sits on his hands and does nothing. As you say, he presumably doesn't look at this lineup and put his feet up on the desk with a shit-eating grin. He will have to do something. The middle ground is acquiring a guy with term (which probably requires the first round pick to be moved) and lower-end guys that don't require significant assets to move. I don't think it will be anything like last year's deadline.

I think the "all in" teams will be more in the West this season. Vancouver for sure. Probably Edmonton, as well. Vegas will do something because Vegas always does something. Colorado will likely be active. In the East, cap space and available assets seem to be more of an issue. I'm sure Boston will do something, but they don't have much to offer. Same with Tampa and Florida. I imagine the Rangers and Carolina may be the most active in the East.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't think it will be an "all in" exercise, but it's equally hard to envision a scenario where he sits on his hands and does nothing. As you say, he presumably doesn't look at this lineup and put his feet up on the desk with a shit-eating grin. He will have to do something. The middle ground is acquiring a guy with term (which probably requires the first round pick to be moved) and lower-end guys that don't require significant assets to move. I don't think it will be anything like last year's deadline.

I think the "all in" teams will be more in the West this season. Vancouver for sure. Probably Edmonton, as well. Vegas will do something because Vegas always does something. Colorado will likely be active. In the East, cap space and available assets seem to be more of an issue. I'm sure Boston will do something, but they don't have much to offer. Same with Tampa and Florida. I imagine the Rangers and Carolina may be the most active in the East.
Hers's another option - be a seller for a change. Think in terms of taking a step back and rising up again in 25-26 when JT is off the books (Marner too ;)), and we will hopefully be getting meaningful contributions from guys that are in our prospect pool today.

Patience grasshopper. Good things come to those who wait. :)

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Hers's another option - be a seller for a change. Think in terms of taking a step back and rising up again in 25-26 when JT is off the books, and we will hopefully be getting meaningful contributions from guys that are in our prospect pool today.

Patience grasshopper. Good things come to those who wait. :)
Come on, you know that even if that might be the right approach, it just isn't in them to do it. They will buy. They won't be able to help themselves from doing it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Big additions take cap space which is limited. I imagine we will see some minor tinkering, nothing more than that.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
What about a relentless optimist?

I have not minced words about my criticism of this offseason- but at the same time-
  • it's not unfixable
  • regulation record aside, we're still .600 team while dealing with said disastrous offseason PLUS Sammy's implosion and Woll's injury
  • we've still got a core group that should be able to put the team on their back
A partner for Rielly and a 2way 3C go a long way to addressing the ailments of a good but clearly flawed team- and when you're in the dance anything can happen

Edit

Bert-Matthews-Marner
Tavares-Domi-Nylander
Knies-3C- Jarncrok
Holmberg-Kampf-Gregor
Robertson OR McMann

Rielly- DD
McCabe-Brodie
Benoit-Liljegren
Gio OR Lagesson

Samsonov
Woll

~4.9million for those 2 pieces

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I just got into work and really thought that a trade would have been completed.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

I have not minced words about my criticism of this offseason- but at the same time-
  • it's not unfixable
  • regulation record aside, we're still .600 team while dealing with said disastrous offseason PLUS Sammy's implosion and Woll's injury
  • we've still got a core group that should be able to put the team on their back
A partner for Rielly and a 2way 3C go a long way to addressing the ailments of a good but clearly flawed team- and when you're in the dance anything can happen

Edit

Bert-Matthews-Marner
Tavares-Domi-Nylander
Knies-3C- Jarncrok
Holmberg-Kampf-Gregor
Robertson OR McMann

Rielly- DD
McCabe-Brodie
Benoit-Liljegren
Gio OR Lagesson

Samsonov
Woll

So a trade with Seattle, for Larsson and Wennberg then?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

• it's not unfixable

Edit

Bert-Matthews-Marner
Tavares-Domi-Nylander
Knies-3C- Jarncrok
Holmberg-Kampf-Gregor
Robertson OR McMann

Rielly- DD
McCabe-Brodie
Benoit-Liljegren
Gio OR Lagesson

Samsonov
Woll

Does DD = Drew Doughty?

• Wow
Reactions: FSL KINGS

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Does DD = Drew Doughty?
Defensive dman. Originally i had it as 2D, but it doesnt have to be that quality of player if theyre the right fit. Right handed Hainsey would be perfect.

So a trade with Seattle, for Larsson and Wennberg then?
In a perfect world the 3c would be a little heavier/greasier, but yeah that fits. And I like the potential of a Wenberg re-sign to slide up into that 2 spot next year

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Defensive dman. Originally i had it as 2D, but it doesnt have to be that quality of player if theyre the right fit. Right handed Hainsey would be perfect.
I was just messing. Agree though, a Player to compliment Reilly is a definite need.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Big additions take cap space which is limited. I imagine we will see some minor tinkering, nothing more than that.
Like always, they will find a way to move the salaries that need to be moved in order to make room.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Doughty is a free agent at the end of the 2018-19 season, and doubted he would ever play for the Maple Leafs, restating the oft-heard sentiment that the pressure with being a Maple Leaf is too great for some players.Jun 15, 2017

Kings star Drew Doughty admits he's a Leaf fan - Toronto Star

He sounds confused in that article, taking both sides.

Anyway, I was only joking. I don't expect Doughty to be a target.

Like always, they will find a way to move the salaries that need to be moved in order to make room.
For a 'big addition'? I guess we'll see.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Come on, you know that even if that might be the right approach, it just isn't in them to do it. They will buy. They won't be able to help themselves from doing it.
As I told you the other day, I'm more interested in discussing what should be done, not what I think will be done.

• it's not unfixable

Edit

Bert-Matthews-Marner
Tavares-Domi-Nylander
Knies-3C- Jarncrok
Holmberg-Kampf-Gregor
Robertson OR McMann

Rielly- DD
McCabe-Brodie
Benoit-Liljegren
Gio OR Lagesson

Samsonov
Woll

Is there a difference? Maybe there is, but I just can't get there myself.

As far as "we've still got a core group that should be able to put the team on their back", they haven't given me any reason to believe that have the intestinal fortitude to do this despite having had a number chances.

Reactions: rumman

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
He sounds confused in that article, taking both sides.

Anyway, I was only joking. I don't expect Doughty to be a target.

For a 'big addition'? I guess we'll see.
I think he was being genuine in not wanting that life here in toronto, but then became political and didnt want to butthurt Toronto lol and backtracked a little

Reactions: ACC1224

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012

In the swirling vortex of rumors, a particularly intriguing whisper has begun to resonate louder than the rest, hinting at a significant trade discussion between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the St. Louis Blues.

According to NHL trade rumors, the proposed trade would see the Blues sending defenseman Colton Parayko and forward Samuel Blais to Toronto in exchange for forward Ryan Reaves, center Calle Järnkrok, promising defensive prospect Topi Niemelä, and a 2024 first-round pick.

Why This Trade Works for the Toronto Maple Leafs

The Maple Leafs have been on the hunt for a top-four shutdown defenseman capable of bolstering their blue line for a deep playoff run. Colton Parayko, at 30 years old, fits this bill perfectly. With Parayko, the Leafs would secure another 3-4 years of solid, reliable play from a defenseman who knows what it takes to win. Standing at 6’6”, Parayko’s physical presence, combined with his defensive acumen and ability to eat significant minutes against the opposition’s top lines, would be invaluable. Furthermore, Parayko is signed for another six years at a $6.5 million AAV, providing long-term stability to the Leafs’ defensive core.

Samuel Blais, on the other hand, would add depth and grit to the Leafs’ forward group. Known for his physical play and ability to chip in offensively, Blais could become an integral part of the Leafs’ bottom-six forward group, bringing energy and toughness to the lineup.
As much as I’d love Parayko to pair with Rielly, the finances don’t quite work without making another deal to clear cap and cutting depth.

The budget version would be Tanev + Greer for future 2nd/2024 3rd + Kampf + Timmins + prospect like Villeneuve.

Bottom 6
Robertson - Domi - Jarnkrok
Greer - Holmberg - McMann/Gregor
Reaves

D
Rielly - Tanev
Benoit - McCabe
Brodie - Liljegren

Then target someone like Roy in the off-season for a free wallet. Keep Tanev if he’s affordable.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
As much as I’d love Parayko to pair with Rielly, the finances don’t quite work without making another deal to clear cap and cutting depth.

The budget version would be Tanev + Greer for future 2nd/2024 3rd + Kampf + Timmins + prospect like Villeneuve.

Bottom 6
Robertson - Domi - Jarnkrok
Greer - Holmberg - McMann/Gregor
Reaves

D
Rielly - Tanev
Benoit - McCabe
Brodie - Liljegren

Then target someone like Roy in the off-season for a free wallet. Keep Tanev if he’s affordable.

Or call about Gudas or Larsson.. both are at $4 mil cap with some term. I'm not sure if either are available, or whether Gudas would come here, but I think both would be better deals for us.

Then go after a LD in Free Agency... Forsling, Hanifin... If we could get either at $6.5 mil, we could afford to upgrade both spots. Or Roy for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad