Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Close to $13M tied up in Samsonov/Kampf/Reaves/Klingberg/Timmins. Plus the option that the other team retains salary. Plenty of room to make a big move without removing an important piece.
I am not saying cap is the issue. I am suggesting they do not have much of interest for other teams that they'd willing to trade. Who/what are you suggesting they would trade in a "big" move?

Reactions: Buds17 and ACC1224

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Close to $13M tied up in Samsonov/Kampf/Reaves/Klingberg/Timmins. Plus the option that the other team retains salary. Plenty of room to make a big move without removing an important piece.

The money really isn't tied up in Klingberg though... He's on LTIR, which kind of eliminates that from consideration... moving him doesn't really give us more cap room.

At the current time, we can't move Samsonov... unless a goalie who is cheaper is coming back...

So that leaves Kampf... who we'd need a replacement for, at lower or equal costs, and Reaves/Timmins... who don't really make a lot to do a deal with.

Now Tanev @ 50% for Picks/Prospects + Reaves+Timmins fits cap wise.

Wennberg @ 50% + Larsson for P/P Reaves/Timmins/Kampf fits cap wise, if we run with 22 man roster.

At this point, I’d be shopping Bertuzzi and Domi. If I could get first rounders, they’re gone.

Bertuzzi for sure... just need a replacement, Domi has provided value, but if you can upgrade... sure.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I am not giving up Liljegren and Robertson for bottom of the roster players and picks. Doesn't help the team now or in the future.

We aren't an old team on the cusp of a rebuild. We need players like Liljegren and Robertson moving forward unless you can get a substancial piece now to have this team take a step forward.

What do we need Liljegren for? He has unfortunately showed that he’s not going to be the solid top-4 defender we’ve all hoped. 3rd pair defenders have a use, but he’s getting a raise in the summer, and he’ll be getting too much to inhabit the bottom pairing.

Robertson likely has the same trajectory, but at least he’ll be cheap next year. He’d be useful because of the contract, but we definitely don’t need a tweener.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Don't get the Domi talk. Unlike Bertuzzi he has a longer sample size of excellent play in the playoffs with a team that went to the WCF. For 3m he's a perfectly fine offensive rush player who can pivot between LW/C and provide energy on a 3rd line. He was a spark plug player for Dallas on their run. I'd look to re-up him on a short term, 2-year deal for the same $ amount.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Say what you will about some of Tre's moves but he made a really nice defense core in Calgary. They traded Zadorov and their d-core is still physical and enviable. Weegar, Andersson, Hanifin, Tanev. Would all four of those be our second best defenseman?

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Don't get the Domi talk. Unlike Bertuzzi he has a longer sample size of excellent play in the playoffs with a team that went to the WCF. For 3m he's a perfectly fine offensive rush player who can pivot between LW/C and provide energy on a 3rd line. He was a spark plug player for Dallas on their run. I'd look to re-up him on a short term, 2-year deal for the same $ amount.
I do not recall him being very good for Carolina. I do not see a fit for Domi on this team. Not good enough for top 6 and does not give you enough in the bottom 6 playing with slugs.

Reactions: rumman

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
The replacement isn't nearly the issue that the NMC is.

Given that his wife just gave birth, there likely isn't a snowball's chance he waives.
I think it depends on where he’d be going. LA is definitely a destination I can see him waiving too. I like the idea of taking a chance on Kaliyev.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
The only way bertuzzi is traded is if we fall out of a playoff spot.,him and Domi were brought in specifically for the playoffs to try for secondary scoring.
He did great with Boston because every player on Boston plays the body hard in the playoffs.
Playing with Tavares and nylander two guys who could put a dozen eggs in their pants and not get one broken is not setting him up for success. The other teams defense plays bertuzzi hard because they don’t have to worry about the other two crashing the net.

Reactions: TMLAM34

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
What do we need Liljegren for? He has unfortunately showed that he’s not going to be the solid top-4 defender we’ve all hoped. 3rd pair defenders have a use, but he’s getting a raise in the summer, and he’ll be getting too much to inhabit the bottom pairing.

Robertson likely has the same trajectory, but at least he’ll be cheap next year. He’d be useful because of the contract, but we definitely don’t need a tweener.
I haven’t been impressed with Lilly this year, but as another poster pointed out he is coming off a high ankle sprain which is a notoriously difficult injury to rehab from, perhaps he has more to give given said injury?

Say what you will about some of Tre's moves but he made a really nice defense core in Calgary. They traded Zadorov and their d-core is still physical and enviable. Weegar, Andersson, Hanifin, Tanev. Would all four of those be our second best defenseman?
Maybe this was part of the appeal of hiring him?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

@LeafsOHLRangers98

I'm personally on the fence about the individuals players, but I think there's a lot to be said about Dreakmur's assessment. I think Tavares should be on the wing- if that happens (as it would with an Henrique add) life gets tight for Robertson. Knies brings the size/PF aspect. JT is JT. Holmberg is better defensively, better board player, better passer. The next wave of wings coming up hard.

Liljgren is in a similar situation. I'm not ready to give up hope, but if he's not part of the plan (which he justifiably may not be), he's a trade chip.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I do not recall him being very good for Carolina. I do not see a fit for Domi on this team. Not good enough for top 6 and does not give you enough in the bottom 6 playing with slugs.
He's pacing for 40pts playing on a 3rd line for 3m. You're not getting a top 6 player for that cap hit so idk what your expectations were.

He was great for Dallas in their most recent run. Paced ~.5PPG with Carolina with some big moments in the Boston series. He's a one dimensional offensive 3rd liner that brings energy.

He's far from the problem a certainly prefer him to Kerfoot for cheaper.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He's pacing for 40pts playing on a 3rd line for 3m. You're not getting a top 6 player for that cap hit so idk what your expectations were.

He was great for Dallas in their most recent run. Paced ~.5PPG with Carolina with some big moments in the Boston series. He's a one dimensional offensive 3rd liner that brings energy.

He's far from the problem a certainly prefer him to Kerfoot for cheaper.
Yeah he is OK for $3m but he is pacing for barely 7 goals. Those are Kampf numbers. Hell Robbie has 7 already playing p/t.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I thought we were trying to make the D better? This doesn't do that.
How does adding Ristolainen to the Leafs defense corps not make it better?

It was very telling that with the Flyers protecting a one-goal lead last night Ristolainen and Atkinson (another guy that fans like to scapegoat) were among the players on the ice in the final minute.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
How does adding Ristolainen to the Leafs defense corps not make it better?

It was very telling that with the Flyers protecting a one-goal lead last night Ristolainen and Atkinson (another guy that fans like to scapegoat) were among the players on the ice in the final minute.

We Leafs fans mostly know Risto from his tire fire days in Buffalo…

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yeah he is OK for $3m but he is pacing for barely 7 goals. Those are Kampf numbers. Hell Robbie has 7 already playing p/t.

He's what... 62nd in the league for C's in points? Assists count too you know... That's borderline 2C, High end 3C production, which is remarkable given he's apparently playing with slugs.

Pacing for 42 points, over 50% in the dot, at $3 million seems like a pretty good deal to me.

On a team starved for secondary production, we have Domi producing at an acceptable rate... but let's get rid of our secondary scoring... because?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
To be fair... most of his time in Philly has been a tire fire too.

Sounds like he’s turned a corner under Torts… I’d categorize him as someone with unique upside due to his pedigree and maturation. But does carry a lot of risk with the up and down history… otherwise an unblemished 6’5” RHD who can play isn’t going to be made available. Also makes good money for a lot more years. Good if he’s going to be a useful player but not so good if he regresses to his historical norms.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The replacement isn't nearly the issue that the NMC is.

Given that his wife just gave birth, there likely isn't a snowball's chance he waives.

I would agree if her family was in any way local to Toronto... but she's an American from Michigan.

Sounds like he’s turned a corner under Torts… I’d categorize him as someone with unique upside due to his pedigree and maturation. But does carry a lot of risk with the up and down history… otherwise an unblemished 6’5” RHD who can play isn’t going to be made available.

That's fair... and if Torts has found something in him... like you've said, he isn't going anywhere....

In a system like ours... which is.. um, we have a system? Risto would likely revert back to the not so good variant, and that contract is kind of ugly.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I would agree if her family was in any way local to Toronto... but she's an American from Michigan.
I don't think that really matters if you're thinking of sending him to Vegas or Dallas I don't think she'll want to move this soon after giving birth.

Even if Detroit wanted him back, it's still a hassle.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
What type of contract is Hanifin going to get?

I think his play this season has definitely established himself as a really good player.

If I knew he would sign an extension, I'd be willing to give up some very good assets as he's the type of talent our blueline badly needs going forward even if he's another LH'ed defencemen.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Klingberg didn't pan out well...and I'd still say that Klingberg was a better idea than Ristolainen would be (both on the ice and through the contract).

Reactions: hockeywiz542
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad