Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
this is disingenuous
Canucks have a #1C that needs a new HUGE deal. then have a 1W, a 1D and a 1G for 28.2.
the #1G is making an 'average' #1G salary @ $5mil, so, he shouldnt even be in the equation
Pettersson will get more than Nylander. and maybe close to Matthews $$
and Boeser will be getting a big raise, or be gone also.
their entire D save 2, needs to be resigned to raises.
Vancouver is not in a great position if they want to keep their existing players.
Yeah EP and Hronek easily eat 20 out of that 40m

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I guess I'm the only one who finds the worst aspect of Bertuzzi to be his play in the defensive zone. For all the grief Tavares takes here, with Nylander (especially since he's signed that contract) and Bertuzzi as his wingers, the poor fella at least tries to be relevant in our end. Nylander started the season with a much improved defensive effort, which has faded, but how Bertuzzi escapes criticism in our end escapes me. And yes, I'd like to see more from JT in all 3 zones, but let's be honest, if his shooting % was simply at his career average, his goal total would jump from 14 to 23, and over the last 10 games working with his line mates, he's got Nylander scoring 2 goals off of 39 shots, and Bert netting 1 off of 17 shots, just over 5% and just under 6% respectively. With captain John adding his 5% average over the same time frame (2 goals from 40 shots) we shouldn't be surprised that line is getting caved.

Keefe has to be assessed some of the blame for this. The line is not working. I'd argue it's because all three players are poorly fit for each other. When Nylander was going all world it hid the deficiencies of the 3 players, and the line looked ok. Now, you have the most skilled player on RW, working with a deligent/detail focused but declining C, and a hard working but not high IQ LWer who can't keep up with one and doesn't think the game like the other. They are all suffering, with Bert being, for me, the biggest liability.

If you can trade Bertuzzi for a 2nd, and you can turn that into Tanev, leap at the chance. If you don't want to take a risk on Tanev keep the 2nd. But if you think you can trade Bert to St Louis for Parayko, I'm guessing the Blues would laugh in your face. They're a goal scoring starved team, and CP currently has more goals than TB with Colton playing 23:50 minutes a night.

The only other option, imho, is to throw Bert back up with AM and let his mucking help free up the puck for Matthews to deposit. Again, Sheldon.

Otherwise, accept the experiment didn't work and trade the player.

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Would really like to fleece someone since we always seem to get fleeced , trade bert for pics try to pry toffoli from jersey and peeke from clb should be enough to get them both without having to move anyone of significance

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
His offensive game has been terrible but there is no denying Bertuzzi is a workhorse on the ice.
Every time I see him chasing a loose puck he reminds me of Motor City Smitty, lots of jump and visible desire to obtain said puck………

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Wondering if it has anything to do with Middleton from Minnesota since it’s a western team.

Would be a real good target IMO. Even though he’s a lefty, he’s exactly what we need back there. Signed for next year as well as a very reasonable cap hit.

Reactions: andora

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Otherwise, accept the experiment didn't work and trade the player.
Bert and Domi were 1 year deals for playoff depth. If they fail we're off the hook. If you scan past ufa options for playoff forward, they are not bad choices. Both are good odds to pace 60 point in playoff.

We don't know if the experiment failed yet. Leafs fans know first hand playoffs is so different for success and both these players were praised for their performances in spring last season

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
@incarceratedbob Appears to be a twitter account dedicated to sports-betting and the wagers he's making lol.

Chances are he has a bunch of buddies playing broken telephone at best

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I guess I'm the only one who finds the worst aspect of Bertuzzi to be his play in the defensive zone. For all the grief Tavares takes here, with Nylander (especially since he's signed that contract) and Bertuzzi as his wingers, the poor fella at least tries to be relevant in our end. Nylander started the season with a much improved defensive effort, which has faded, but how Bertuzzi escapes criticism in our end escapes me. And yes, I'd like to see more from JT in all 3 zones, but let's be honest, if his shooting % was simply at his career average, his goal total would jump from 14 to 23
Yeah, it's interesting how some people have been fooled into thinking that Bertuzzi is some high-effort, heart and soul bulldog, when he's actually one of the lazier and more selfish players on the team. I think when some people see a chunkier, more inefficient skating stride and a flailing upper body, they equate that to higher effort, even if they accomplish much less than somebody with an efficient skating stride that is smarter about timing their acceleration bursts for when they need it. He seems to flail around into a forecheck at 150% speed, either not get the puck or lose it, and then the puck goes back the other direction, he skates back at half speed, and then is completely lost in the defensive zone. Rinse and repeat.

And it's weird seeing people absolve Bertuzzi for being snakebit (which largely just looks like an inability to shoot since he broke both hands), and then turn around and blast the much more snakebit Tavares.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Bertuzzi and Tavares should both be protected. I feel better knowing we have both for the playoff run than neither or just 1.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Incarcerated Bob has been pretty spot on with his stuff over the years. He’s as trustworthy as they get outside of the people who work for Bell/Rogers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad