Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It's potentially a really bad contract, it's a risk for sure but he would add an element at a position this team needs
He is 6’6, 220pounds, can skate, can pass, can shoot and 30yrs old.
I know he still got 4-5yrs left on his deal but if they sign Tanev for 3-4yrs at 4mil. Would rather have Paryako between 30-35/36 than Tanev at 34-38yrs old.
I don’t think Paryako is a No.1 Dman but he should be able to do what Schenn did and more. Which is enough.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
He is 6’6, 220pounds, can skate, can pass, can shoot and 30yrs old.
I know he still got 4-5yrs left on his deal but if they sign Tanev for 3-4yrs at 4mil. Would rather have Paryako between 30-35/36 than Tanev at 34-38yrs old.
I don’t think Paryako is a No.1 Dman but he should be able to do what Schenn did and more. Which is enough.
for sure, its just a bit of a hailmary
I like Paryako as a player, i think management has already tied their own hands so much I'd rather someone like him then year over year of bandaids

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Take the pick(s) for Bert, replenish a bit.

I can't see any team wanting Bert with an extra D kicking around
I think this would essentially have to involve two trades. Trade Bertuzzi for futures and then trade futures (the aforementioned or anything else that then becomes expendable) for that d-man or forward.

They could also just take the pick(s) if they wish to replenish the stock though, yes.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think this would essentially have to involve two trades. Trade Bertuzzi for futures and then trade futures (the aforementioned or anything else that then becomes expendable) for that d-man or forward.

They could also just take the pick(s) if they wish to replenish the stock though, yes.
Or you trade Bertuzzi to a contender with a struggling younger player in a position of need like LW

Bertuzzi for Kaliyev

Maybe if we can hit on enough forwards we can trade the surplus for some defensive help rather than futures we don't have

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
You think this team looks like a playoff team? No idea what you’re even trying to say.

“When you create a culture that allows your captain to get jumped , knowing that not a single guy will go to war for each other - you can’t expect guys like Bertuzzi , Domi and Reaves to thrive”

Bertuzzi and Reaves look cooked [mod], they can’t skate or perform basic hockey functions with any regularity. That has nothing to do with the culture, they’re just cooked. Bert isn’t a fighter or even a pest, he’s a “skilled grinder” like Bunting. Reaves is 37 and never had any level of skill or IQ even in his prime.

What does the culture have to do with them just being flat out bad at hockey? The fact that they’re too useless to even get in fights is secondary to them being useless at putting the puck in the net.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: arso40

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
The smartest thing Tre could do right now is try and find a hockey trade for Bert. Get back a D man or top 9 forward who can actually fit in with the core
I like Bertuzzi but I agree he hasn’t been a great fit here in Toronto.

To Toronto: Matt Roy + Carl Grundstrom
To Los Angeles: Tyler Bertuzzi + William Lagesson

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Or you trade Bertuzzi to a contender with a struggling younger player in a position of need like LW

Bertuzzi for Kaliyev

Maybe if we can hit on enough forwards we can trade the surplus for some defensive help rather than futures we don't have

It would take a shrewd GM to do that kind of move. Not sure if Kaliyev is the guy but just a bit of a shake up would probably be very welcomed. Can't be worst than what we're seeing right now.

It's just a very uninspired bunch from the players to the coaches to the execs. This all started from a terrible off-season, so I have zero optimism that they will do anything interesting or smart.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi and arso40

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Bertuzzi for Kaliyev

Which may work in this case with the player apparently on the trade market (a contender won't always want to subtract from its current team though).

Reactions: Kiwi

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
“When you create a culture that allows your captain to get jumped , knowing that not a single guy will go to war for each other - you can’t expect guys like Bertuzzi , Domi and Reaves to thrive”

Bertuzzi and Reaves look cooked [mod], they can’t skate or perform basic hockey functions with any regularity. That has nothing to do with the culture, they’re just cooked. Bert isn’t a fighter or even a pest, he’s a “skilled grinder” like Bunting. Reaves is 37 and never had any level of skill or IQ even in his prime.

What does the culture have to do with them just being flat out bad at hockey? The fact that they’re too useless to even get in fights is secondary to them being useless at putting the puck in the net.

I don't love Bertuzzi either, but he actually looks fine to me when he's out there. He's usually got jump, shows hustle on the forecheck and backcheck but has been very snake bit offensively to the point where it's comical. His issues appear very different than Reaves, who is cooked.

The idea that Bertuzzi is "bad at hockey" is such a glib comment though and quite an unfair statement. Guys like that aren't going to make pretty plays very often, but if you stick him with a couple of line mates on the same frequency, their rambunctious style will create chaos and opportunities. Obviously that kind of pack rat identity line isn't the Maple Leaf way, but I think there's less condescending ways to talk about player.

Reaves though, deserves the ridicule. He doesn't really supply the toughness, is too much of a sound bite and nobody is impressed with him trying to play a normal shift (he can't).

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
I don't love Bertuzzi either, but he actually looks fine to me when he's out there. He's usually got jump, shows hustle on the forecheck and backcheck but has been very snake bit offensively to the point where it's comical. His issues appear very different than Reaves, who is cooked.

The idea that Bertuzzi is "bad at hockey" is such a glib comment though and quite an unfair statement. Guys like that aren't going to make pretty plays very often, but if you stick him with a couple of line mates on the same frequency, their rambunctious style will create chaos and opportunities. Obviously that kind of pack rat identity line isn't the Maple Leaf way, but I think there's less condescending ways to talk about player.

Reaves though, deserves the ridicule. He doesn't really supply the toughness, is too much of a sound bite and nobody is impressed with him trying to play a normal shift (he can't).
Bert is great but his stats line is so poor that I don't think they will be able to reach an agreement in the summer. That would make him a rental, which would be tricky right now.

I've enjoyed Reaves the last two games. He was a wrecking ball last night and kept Mayfield and Clutter pretty occupied on the physical front - thats good for our guys and would be a boon in a series. One game at a time.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Bert is great but his stats line is so poor that I don't think they will be able to reach an agreement in the summer. That would make him a rental, which would be tricky right now.

I've enjoyed Reaves the last two games. He was a wrecking ball last night and kept Mayfield and Clutter pretty occupied on the physical front - thats good for our guys and would be a boon in a series. One game at a time.

Yeah true enough on Reaves I guess. He did get a goal in the Winnipeg series. It’s just crazy that in his first stint before getting hurt he just brought nothing.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Bertuzzi fairly objectively below average to average at
1) skating
2) shooting
3) puck handling
4) passing

Won’t take away from his positives, he’s got a bull terrier mentality and work rate despite his physical/skill limitations and he’s decent in front of the net, he can make crafty small area plays every now and then. I don’t think that adds up to him being a good hockey player. He can fumble his way into 50 points playing in ideal conditions the same way David Clarkson once did with Elias bouncing 30 pucks in off his ass.

I get the value of a guy who can create and exploit chaos in a short sample size in the playoffs against teams that are expecting to systematically shut you down through disciplined play, but it’s not like Bertuzzi is choosing to play this way as a tactical decision, he just doesn’t have any other ways he can play. You can’t turn him into a quick counterattack threat or a steady eddy cycle guy, he doesn’t have the speed, shot, hands, or strength to do well in those styles.

I just don’t see how he’s any different from a Wellwood or a Kapanen who also only know how to play one fairly niche style of game that relies on their linemates matching them stylistically and doing most of the heavy lifting while getting priority favourable usage. He’s not making his linemates noticeably better despite making much more money than his predecessors did as the 3rd wheel that’s supposed to create space for them.

He seems like a nice guy to have in the room, I have nothing personal against him, I’m just really not seeing the fit in general, let alone at his price tag. Other than being bigger, he’s a pretty noticeable downgrade on Bunting in most relevant ways.

Edit: I’m sure we all agree Nick Ritchie is bad at hockey and was overpaid at whatever we were paying him.
Ritchie: 12 goals 23 points in 53 games (TOR and Arizona combined)
Bertuzzi: 6 goals 20 points in 47 games

If Bertuzzi wasn’t a dog on a bone every shift working his balls off, is he an everyday NHL player?

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

To me, it looks like Bertuzzi just can't think the game well enough to compliment our Core 4 guys. We need a High IQ hockey player, and that's just not Bertuzzi. He's a good enough hockey player, but he just doesn't fit here.

Someone mentioned Kaliyev... I like the kid, but another low IQ guy, who likely wouldn't fit here.

First thing we should do, is replace the coach, to see if another coach, more structured, can get something out of these guys... if not... We should have made that move in December.

I think we could get some decent assets back, moving Bertuzzi and Brodie at 50%... Whether we use those assets right away, or in the off season, or actually draft some extra players... I'm kind of ambivalent. I'd give Kampf away, Gio I'd give a shot elsewhere to win a cup for very little as a depth guy. I'd even move Samsonov, if Woll can come back and be dependable.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Yeah true enough on Reaves I guess. He did get a goal in the Winnipeg series. It’s just crazy that in his first stint before getting hurt he just brought nothing.
Yeah his current play is probably not sustainable. The jello knees significantly dropped my optimism. Such a shame, think he would be great for this team if healthier. Just going to root for him until he's pulled.
1) skating
2) shooting
3) puck handling
4) passing

Won’t take away from his positives, he’s got a bull terrier mentality and work rate despite his physical/skill limitations and he’s decent in front of the net, he can make crafty small area plays every now and then. I don’t think that adds up to him being a good hockey player. He can fumble his way into 50 points playing in ideal conditions the same way David Clarkson once did with Elias bouncing 30 pucks in off his ass.

I get the value of a guy who can create and exploit chaos in a short sample size in the playoffs against teams that are expecting to systematically shut you down through disciplined play, but it’s not like Bertuzzi is choosing to play this way as a tactical decision, he just doesn’t have any other ways he can play. You can’t turn him into a quick counterattack threat or a steady eddy cycle guy, he doesn’t have the speed, shot, hands, or strength to do well in those styles.

I just don’t see how he’s any different from a Wellwood or a Kapanen who also only know how to play one fairly niche style of game that relies on their linemates matching them stylistically and doing most of the heavy lifting while getting priority favourable usage. He’s not making his linemates noticeably better despite making much more money than his predecessors did as the 3rd wheel that’s supposed to create space for them.

He seems like a nice guy to have in the room, I have nothing personal against him, I’m just really not seeing the fit in general, let alone at his price tag. Other than being bigger, he’s a pretty noticeable downgrade on Bunting in most relevant ways.
It's the price point that's way off, at least in Toronto - it's sullied the project.

At half the pay rate he’s a middle six role player that brings an element we desperately need in the playoffs, or a niche as you say. He's a lot more valuable to us than a Kapanen.

We should be looking to make this fit work, because we need to have it. Unfortunately it probably won't be Bert long term. Either because our system and players can't make him work, or because hes simply someone who should be in a different pay bracket than he's established in the market.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
To me, it looks like Bertuzzi just can't think the game well enough to compliment our Core 4 guys. We need a High IQ hockey player, and that's just not Bertuzzi. He's a good enough hockey player, but he just doesn't fit here.

Someone mentioned Kaliyev... I like the kid, but another low IQ guy, who likely wouldn't fit here.

First thing we should do, is replace the coach, to see if another coach, more structured, can get something out of these guys... if not... We should have made that move in December.

I think we could get some decent assets back, moving Bertuzzi and Brodie at 50%... Whether we use those assets right away, or in the off season, or actually draft some extra players... I'm kind of ambivalent. I'd give Kampf away, Gio I'd give a shot elsewhere to win a cup for very little as a depth guy. I'd even move Samsonov, if Woll can come back and be dependable.

Credit to Bertuzzi that while he isn’t high IQ by any stretch of the imagination, he’s crafty in small spaces the same way Bozak, Kessel, JVR were. He can turn chaos into the puck moving in the right direction off pure instinct but half the time there’s no one waiting where he chooses to move it. You could build a line to take advantage of this I guess I just don’t see why you would.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
1) skating
2) shooting
3) puck handling
4) passing

Edit: I’m sure we all agree Nick Ritchie is bad at hockey and was overpaid at whatever we were paying him.
Ritchie: 12 goals 23 points in 53 games (TOR and Arizona combined)
Bertuzzi: 6 goals 20 points in 47 games

For me, the Bertuzzi experiment has not worked out and I'd move him for futures if possible, then use the futures and cap space on something else...

He's not a great fit and his offense has been completely short circuited... but I do see a player who brings value, doesn't cheat for effort, but who isn't with the right kind of players.

With the right kind of linemates, he looks like a heart and soul guy who will play an ugly ball hockey type of game, create chaos and make things happen in the chaos. If he was on a line with 2 other Tyler Bertuzzi's I could see the puck being chopped into a square but that puck might be in the back of the opposition net.

I disagree with you that he's a bad passer. He's clearly not an Adam Oates or a Claude Giroux, but seems like he can be chopping it up in a crowd but find that small opening to get the puck to someone. He's shifty.

Yeah, Bunting would be smarter than Bertuzzi and can be a more high IQ game that compliments Matthews and Marner better. But Bertuzzi's never really been given that look either.

I think he's Ritchie bad on the scoresheet but he's more useful shift to shift. Unlike Ritchie he's never really gotten the top line time either. In any case it's not a great fit but I kind of appreciate what he brings.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
For me, the Bertuzzi experiment has not worked out and I'd move him for futures if possible, then use the futures and cap space on something else...

He's not a great fit and his offense has been completely short circuited, and he's definitely not a good fit... but I do see a player who brings value who isn't with the right kind of players.

With the right kind of linemates, he looks like a heart and soul guy who will play an ugly ball hockey type of game, create chaos and make things happen in the chaos.

I disagree with you that he's a bad passer. He's clearly not an Adam Oates or a Claude Giroux, but seems like he can be chopping it up in a crowd but find that small opening to get the puck to someone.

If he was on a line with 2 other Tyler Bertuzzi's I could see the puck being chopped into a square but that puck might be in the back of the opposition net.

Yeah, Bunting would be smarter than Bertuzzi and can be a more high IQ game that compliments Matthews and Marner better. But Bertuzzi's never really been given that look either.

I think he's Ritchie bad on the scoresheet but he's more useful shift to shift. Unlike Ritchie he's never really gotten the top line time either. In any case it's not a great fit but I kind of appreciate what he brings.

Yeah if I’m his agent I’m getting him a 1 year deal in Arizona or some other low budget team where it makes sense for them to find another 2 Bertuzzi’s to get him 50 touches on broken plays that end up in the net and flip him for a pick at the deadline. There’s maybe a handful of actual contenders that have that style of game somewhere in their middle 6 that might bite but I can’t really think of a serious top line where he’s the best option for their LW.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah if I’m his agent I’m getting him a 1 year deal in Arizona or some other low budget team where it makes sense for them to find another 2 Bertuzzi’s to get him 50 touches on broken plays that end up in the net and flip him for a pick at the deadline. There’s maybe a handful of actual contenders that have that style of game somewhere in their middle 6 that might bite but I can’t really think of a serious top line where he’s the best option for their LW.

I could see him going to Boston or Florida. He did thrive on a line with Zacha and Pastrnak last spring. Or throw him on a snot like with DeBrusk. On Florida a line with Sam Bennett.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Bertuzzi has been so bad that it's almost unimaginable that this guy had 77 goals in 221 games played from 2018-2022.

He's been injured alot and was last season. It looked like he was trending back in a good direction after his last 4 regular season games with the Bruins where he put up 7pts and then a good playoffs with them.

He's been awful for us and we should definitely be open to moving him if there's decent value to acquire.

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I like Bertuzzi but I agree he hasn’t been a great fit here in Toronto.

To Toronto: Matt Roy + Carl Grundstrom
To Los Angeles: Tyler Bertuzzi + William Lagesson
Would absolutely love that trade two players we need shoulda traded bacc for durzi when we had the chance

Last edited:

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
It’s actually astonishing how bad Bertuzzi has been.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him thrive with another team though, as he’s done in the past.

Reactions: FSL KINGS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad