Not open for further replies.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Perfect time to sell.

Benoit maybe a 2nd
Domi maybe a 2nd
Bertuzzi maybe a 2nd + meh prospect
Brodie maybe a 2nd + meh prospect

Tre would send a shock to this core if he decided to sell off all the rentals and look off into the distance.
Why are all these 2nds a good result from a good time to sell?

All those teams that don't have JT, MM, AM, WN, and MR are a good time to sell. Toronto needs to keep trying to win in the playoffs. Domi/Bertuzzi are for playoff depth. I think Treliving can add without breaking the bank.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
I don't entirely buy this. A lot of flexibility in the off season. Vancouver went from a capped out ~22nd place team with a couple of elite talents to what we see this year in the space of one deadline and one off season.

Management needs to execute.

Edit- further to the above-
This offseason the Canucks added 3 forwards for a combined cost of 4.65m and a 5th round pick. Those 3 forwards have provided 27 goals (25 EV or SH) and an average 3+ minutes of pk time per game between them.
Canucks have a young elite 1C, 1D, and 1G for 20M.

Leafs have a young elite 1C, 1W, and 1W for 29M, going to 36M next year.

And the Canucks organization imploded last year - largely why they were as low as 22nd.

Reactions: rumman

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

And the Canucks organization imploded last year - largely why they were as low as 22nd.

With 16m you can get a couple really good players or 4 good players. 16m extra is a big deal.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I’m not saying we should do this but let’s talk about the logistics of trading Nylander just to determine if it’s even an option. Is it ethical? Would signing someone long term and immediately trading him hurt managements credibility and make other players not want to sign here? It would definitely be a shady move if he took a team friendly deal to stay here but since he squeezed every last penny out of us I think it’s fair game.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I’m not saying we should do this but let’s talk about the logistics of trading Nylander just to determine if it’s even an option. Is it ethical? Would signing someone long term and immediately trading him hurt managements credibility and make other players not want to sign here? It would definitely be a shady move if he took a team friendly deal to stay here but since he squeezed every last penny out of us I think it’s fair game.
He has a NMC. He would have just walked as a UFA if he didn't want to be here.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
His current deal has a NMC that kicked in this past July 1st

Management has shot itself in the foot stagnating with this core to the point where they can maximize value in a trade
Just looked it up and it’s a modified 10 team No trade clause so he’s still tradeable

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If Tre is smart, he has serious doubts about the team construction around this core. Based on our assets, he only really has four options: stand pat, tinker along the edges, sell UFAs, or spend our limited futures. I certainly wouldn’t do the last option, and Shanahan probably won’t allow the third…. So we’re left with minor tinkering or standing pat.
if this was the case surely he wouldn’t of willingly resigned 88 to that contract, or am I missing something?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Demko being injured was a huge blow to their team last year.

Canucks have to re-sign Pettersson, but they won't have 4 double digits.

Reactions: LeafEgo

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
He absolutely is good at defending - that’s indisputable at this point. The problem is that one guy can’t defend alone.

We don’t need to spend anything. We have the guys to create an effective shutdown line, but Sheldon Keefe keeps eating crayons.
Do you think he saves the red ones for last

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don't entirely buy this. A lot of flexibility in the off season. Vancouver went from a capped out ~22nd place team with a couple of elite talents to what we see this year in the space of one deadline and one off season.

Management needs to execute.

Edit- further to the above-
This offseason the Canucks added 3 forwards for a combined cost of 4.65m and a 5th round pick. Those 3 forwards have provided 27 goals (25 EV or SH) and an average 3+ minutes of pk time per game between them.

Leafs added two, Bertuzzi and Domi for cash only.
And of course Reaves.
These 3 forwards have provided 12 goals. :wave:

Reactions: 4thline and rumman

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I won’t re-tread the NMC discussion, but to answer your question, even if he didn’t have the NMC, the answer would be unequivocally yes.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
He absolutely is good at defending - that’s indisputable at this point. The problem is that one guy can’t defend alone.

We don’t need to spend anything. We have the guys to create an effective shutdown line, but Sheldon Keefe keeps eating crayons.

I think that’s debatable.
I think we COULD have two thirds if Kampf gets his head out of his ass. But that’s only assuming Jarnkrok is available, which we know he’s out for like 6-8 weeks.
Based on that we need 2

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
No Rielly? Trade Rielly!!!!???

Keep Rielly and use a big part of the 22 million freed up by moving Marner and Tavares to build a much better top-4 around him.

Ideally, we can put together a really strong pair that can handle the toughest minutes and allow Rielly to take the offensive gravy time.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
This organization, if it exists to try and win the Stanley Cup, has to care a lot less about feelings. It has to tell Barabanov, we don't care if you are sad. You have a contract, you signed it. You will fulfill it. It needs to care less about John Tavares' wife being from Toronto. It needs to care less about Mikheyev being sad, or Lehtonen. It needs to act in the best interest of the organization itself.

They are too concerned about feelings and perception. We are a hated organization. Embrace being a hated organization. Players will much prefer signing with a successful hated organization, than an unsuccessful loved organization.

If the organization's number one priority is not to win the Stanley Cup, then yes, they should worry about being ethical, empathetic and kind.

Reactions: andora

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Keep Rielly and use a big part of the 22 million freed up by moving Marner and Tavares to build a much better top-4 around him.

Ideally, we can put together a really strong pair that can handle the toughest minutes and allow Rielly to take the offensive gravy time.
Why would Marner be asked to waive after Shanahan all but guaranteed the big three would be re-signed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad