Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yep.

We've become too focused on asset management as an end in of itself.

I'd be fine making some trades to shake up the roster, but getting picks in return is a waste unless the plan is to then immediately flip them for other roster players

As you said,.this team isn't treading water with Matthews under contract

Yeah, they should make the playoffs.

Who knows maybe some of the new players will do something there?

Reactions: Menzinger

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The reality is that this team is broken. It’s Shanahan who refuses to face it.

Wonder if someone from above fires Shanny in the off-season, new president and coach in 1 off-season although that likely gets uncomfortable fast for Tree

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
You can't give up, at the very least you need to use the TDL to build so we can be competitive in the future

You absolutely can give up on this core. They have earned it.

This team is not a few tweaks away. We should be preparing to build a real contender once Marner and Tavares are gone, and we can use that money more productively.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

This team is not a few tweaks away. We should be preparing to build a real contender once Marner and Tavares are gone, and we can use that money more productively.
Sure 🤣

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Wonder if someone from above fires Shanny in the off-season, new president and coach in 1 off-season although that likely gets uncomfortable fast for Tree
Gotta think we'd need one hell of a showing in the playoffs this year for Keefe to keep his job.

Ironically, despite being ultimately responsible, Dubies shitshow of an exit likely bought Shanny some time. Tre will get at least three years, not much point canning Shanny after this season.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Continuing down the same path would be throwing it away. I’m suggesting they build a better team around Matthews and Nylander.

I like the idea but Nylanders overpay makes future negotiations hard. Matthews got his money for being the best scorer in the NHL.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Too many changes that need to be made. Unless it's a deal you can't say no to, don't bother adding. Maybe a depth guy otherwise stand pat.

Also they need to do something about Domi. Keefe clearly can't trust him and he isn't giving any reason too. Domi needs more sheltering than Robertson does. I'd move on from Domi and bring in someone who is actually useable in tight games. Doesn't mean you add but change the mix.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Noah Dobson seems like he’d be a perfect piece to add to Toronto. In a fantasy world, how much would we have to pay to get him?

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
I still think the Leafs should sell and retool.

Trade Bertuzzi/Domi/Brodie/Gio to restock the cupboards.
Bring in a new coach next season.
Ask Tavares and Marner to waive the NMC.
Build Line 1 around Matthews and Line 2 around Nylander.
Use the cap space and assets acquired to rebuild the backend.

Reactions: rumman

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
I think we should move out Domi. Was a good story, but cannot provide enough offence to make up for his defensive liabilities.
Perhaps turn what we get for him into someone like Wennberg who is more of a two way player.

Also if we could get anything for Bertuzzi, we should probably try and swap him for someone who might fit better.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Maybe we should hire a GM that can help this team? Treliving is doing absolutely nothing. What a waste of a hire. We all know what this team is lacking and yet he sits on his hands.
And fire Keefe. Boucher’s already doing his job, might as well give it to him.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
There are the issues I see.

1. Coaching and MGT. They need a coach and MGT that holds everyone accountable even the top guys. They can’t be afraid to pull the trigger on the top guys even if he scores 70 goals in a season.
2. The way they play. This is both on coaching and players. We watch this core for the past 7-8 yrs, and the issues are often the same, starting on time, not winning puck battles, no structure, don’t stand up for each other, fly by… Horvat fought Benoit bc he tried to smash Barzal. Had anyone done that for our guys? And what happened when the team sticks together, they often win.
3. Another system failure is support scoring but if like 90% of ozone starts belongs to the top two lines and PP1 will always be the big 4 plus Reilly. Where do the supporting players get chance to score? The fact that Keefe refuses to deploy the big 4 in 3 lines is beyond me.
4. The team needs more structure from forwards to defense.

Once that is done, then they can start getting players to fill the holes. Bc even if the team got McD,Mack, Makar, Pietra, Josi, and Vas. If there still no structure in the team, they still won’t go far.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Too many changes that need to be made. Unless it's a deal you can't say no to, don't bother adding. Maybe a depth guy otherwise stand pat.

Also they need to do something about Domi. Keefe clearly can't trust him and he isn't giving any reason too. Domi needs more sheltering than Robertson does. I'd move on from Domi and bring in someone who is actually useable in tight games. Doesn't mean you add but change the mix.

**** Keefe, we have zero secondary scoring but won't play anybody in the bottom 6 that has any kind of offensive ability or develop anybody that isn't a blue chipper

This isn't the 95 devils, try playing Robertson and Domi instead of sitting them on there asses and when you get a young player try not putting him on the 4th line, playing them 5 minutes a night with offensively inept linemates

He's Babcock, with a less duchey demeanor

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Noah Dobson seems like he’d be a perfect piece to add to Toronto. In a fantasy world, how much would we have to pay to get him?
A 24 year old point per game defenseman who plays 22-24 minutes per night? Maybe Nylander before he got the new contract. There is no one else on the Leafs' roster (obviously excluding Matthews) who would be enough value for Dobson.

Rubyblue

Apr 13, 2021
No trade will help. Whoever they got would just blend into what the core 5 is. Soft. Entitled. Reilly, marner & company can get their points but have been making the same game changing mistakes for years. Does'nt matter who's coaching. 8 years. Is it ever going to klick in? I think not.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Perfect time to sell.

Benoit maybe a 2nd
Domi maybe a 2nd
Bertuzzi maybe a 2nd + meh prospect
Brodie maybe a 2nd + meh prospect

Tre would send a shock to this core if he decided to sell off all the rentals and look off into the distance.

Reactions: supermann_98

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Maybe we should hire a GM that can help this team? Treliving is doing absolutely nothing. What a waste of a hire. We all know what this team is lacking and yet he sits on his hands.
And fire Keefe. Boucher’s already doing his job, might as well give it to him.

We’re not exactly flush with assets here. What valuable trade pieces does Tre really have to work with? There’s very little on the roster that could be used to make good “hockey trades”. Most of the team is either expiring UFAs or NMCs.

Matthew Knies would be valuable, but he’s a guy you need to keep. Simon Benoit may have some value, but he’s another we want to keep. How much value does Nick Robertson have?

We have 2 first round picks and 0 second round picks in the next 3 drafts. We have Fraser Minten, Easton Cowan, and a couple other less valuable prospects. I wouldn’t say the cupboards are bare, but we aren’t exactly flush with futures to trade.

If Tre is smart, he has serious doubts about the team construction around this core. Based on our assets, he only really has four options: stand pat, tinker along the edges, sell UFAs, or spend our limited futures. I certainly wouldn’t do the last option, and Shanahan probably won’t allow the third…. So we’re left with minor tinkering or standing pat.

The one thing he could do is fire Keefe, but I’ve been hoping for that since like 2020….

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

I don't entirely buy this. A lot of flexibility in the off season. Vancouver went from a capped out ~22nd place team with a couple of elite talents to what we see this year in the space of one deadline and one off season.

Management needs to execute.

Edit- further to the above-
This offseason the Canucks added 3 forwards for a combined cost of 4.65m and a 5th round pick. Those 3 forwards have provided 27 goals (25 EV or SH) and an average 3+ minutes of pk time per game between them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad