Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I have to say that Benoit might be Treliving's best signing?

If you consider Hubredeau, Weegar, Domi, Bertuzzi, Reaves...Tre is not very good with a blank cheque... his ability to appropriately assess talent has me slightly worried... he feels like a GM who is going to get fleeced in a trade and then proceed to put us in cap hell with untradeable players.

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Laughton + Ristolainen(retained)

Isn’t a terrible add to this team.

Kampf + Liljgren + 1st

Some may think that’s rich, but Laughton will be a playoff type 3C and top PK guy. Risto retained, would be fun to see if he finds his game. Hes a prick
The only way I’d take Risto is if Philly retained 50% and still gave him away basically for free…

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
So if the leafs flukes into a series win, what does that mean?
I'm not sure what you think that means, but in this comparison, I wouldn't use that series win as proof that we were some super awesome playoff team that was going to have the same outcome in future series.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I thought where Jones was called up to replace an injured player he could go down with out having to pass through waivers?

No.. that's emergency recall, which is for short time periods.

A player does not need to pass through waivers if the player has not been on the NHL active roster for a cumulative 30 days since last clearing waivers, OR has not played in 10 or more NHL games. CBA Reference 13.2(b).

So you can be called up, and not have to be put on waivers, unless you've played (been on the roster for) 10 or more games, or for a cumulative 30 days... in this case Jones is over either threshold

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
You have to look into the face-off percentage though.

He takes most of the Short Handed Face-offs, meaning of course the other team has their best players out.

You know he's 80% on the PowerPlay for face-offs?

Minimum 200 face-offs:

View attachment 814963

He’s only taken 5 PP faceoffs and on the PK he only wins 48%.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkKnight

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I mean he’s only taken 5 PP faceoffs and on the PK he only wins 48%

Yes, without looking at the details 80% sounds great!

But, without looking at the details you can't look at his overall success rate and know how it was derived.

And while on the PK, who is he going to be facing? They other team's 3rd. and 4th. liners? Not at all. He's going to be facing the other team's best face-off men as they are on the PP, and aren't sending out their scrubs, or bottom 6 players.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Yes, without looking at the details 80% sounds great!

But, without looking at the details you can't look at his overall success rate and know how it was derived.

And while on the PK, who is he going to be facing? They other team's 3rd. and 4th. liners? Not at all. He's going to be facing the other team's best face-off men as they are on the PP, and aren't sending out their scrubs, or bottom 6 players.

Yes some of the PK centers are good at faceoffs, but there are also plenty of top 6 player who stink at faceoffs.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Is Jan Rutta any good?

6'3 RHD who has one more year left at 2.7 million

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yes some of the PK centers are good at faceoffs, but there are also plenty of top 6 player who stink at faceoffs.

Completely agree, but if you are the team going on the PP are you sending out someone who isn't good at face-offs when the goal is to win the face-off and get control of the puck as you outnumber the opposition.

Look at the number of face-offs Tavares takes on the PP?

Why isn't Matthews taking those face-offs, he's Leafs' best player.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
He’d be another bandaid on a cannonball wound.

I bring it up as a alternative to paying a first rounder for Tanev.

Maybe just aquiring a few decent pieces and giving up not much is better for this current roster than giving up a first or some top prospects.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If you consider Hubredeau, Weegar, Domi, Bertuzzi, Reaves...Tre is not very good with a blank cheque... his ability to appropriately assess talent has me slightly worried... he feels like a GM who is going to get fleeced in a trade and then proceed to put us in cap hell with untradeable players.

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

“Put us in cap hell?” That ship my friend sailed quite a while ago………

• Haha
Reactions: Hellcat

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yes. He would make us better, but not by enough become a contender. Don’t give up assets to patch this broken team. Lipstick on a pig at this point.

Isn't going to happen, they aren't punting a season with Matthews, Nylander and Marner in there late 20's

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Isn't going to happen, they aren't punting a season with Matthews, Nylander and Marner in ther
Yep.

We've become too focused on asset management as an end in of itself.

I'd be fine making some trades to shake up the roster, but getting picks in return is a waste unless the plan is to then immediately flip them for other roster players

As you said,.this team isn't treading water with Matthews under contract

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Again, just because it isn’t going to happen doesn’t mean it isn’t what needs to happen.
Making trades and getting rentals are two different things.

I don't think the team is close to just get rentals. If they make trades with players with terms or sign extension right away, while improving the team, why not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad