Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
They probably shouldn't be.

Why?

This would be 3 years past draft for Minten.
Knies is playing this year.

marner was in the year after being drafted, and he's not a big boy even today.

There seems to be fear about playing prospects with the Leafs.

Only other teams can give opportunities to prospects?

It should be about earning the position.

Reactions: Rocker13 and arso40

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Why?

This would be 3 years past draft for Minten.
Knies is playing this year.

marner was in the year after being drafted, and he's not a big boy even today.

There seems to be fear about playing prospects with the Leafs.

Only other teams can give opportunities to prospects?

It should be about earning the position.
Marner was a 4th overall pick, and he isn't Knies, who is a winger with a late birthday coming from the NCAA, where he is playing against guys in their 20s already.

Also, Usage. You're taking a 20-year-old kid who plays top line (20+min) in the WHL+ PP time to then a much more balanced/defensive role at a higher level on the Leafs, given how you would prefer to use Matthews and JT's lines. I just it's better for him to play as a top 6 center for the Marlies for at least one season anyway.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Marner was a 4th overall pick, and he isn't Knies, who is a winger with a late birthday coming from the NCAA, where he is playing against guys in their 20s already.

Also, Usage. You're taking a 20-year-old kid who plays top line (20+min) in the WHL+ PP time to then a much more balanced/defensive role at a higher level on the Leafs, given how you would prefer to use Matthews and JT's lines. I just it's better for him to play as a top 6 center for the Marlies for at least one season anyway.

If he doesn't earn it at training camp he doesn't deserve it.

Right?

It's about accountability.

And where a player is picked isn't a determining factor, outside of teams who keep giving high picks more opportunities than lower picks to justify their own bias.

Again, if he's better than the competition for his position, you keep him. He can always spend time with the Marlies after the fact.

Unlike Cowan, they'll have options.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
If he doesn't earn it at training camp he doesn't deserve it.

Right?

It's about accountability.

And where a player is picked isn't a determining factor, outside of teams who keep giving high picks more opportunities than lower picks to justify their own bias.

Again, if he's better than the competition for his position, you keep him. He can always spend time with the Marlies after the fact.

Unlike Cowan, they'll have options.

It is if it's 4th overall. You would expect him to make it nearly right away.

On Minten, sure.

However, from him, the 3rd line C spot isn't an insignificant one. So, for a team that sees itself as a contender, is it best to have a 20-year-old rookie in that spot that he's pretty unfamiliar with or to trade/sign someone who's 25+ and has already been in that role or something akin to it.?

I think it would be best for him to start in the A, where he'll have a chance to further develop all parts of his game.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It is if it's 4th overall. You would expect him to make it nearly right away.

On Minten, sure.

However, from him, the 3rd line C spot isn't an insignificant one. So, for a team that sees itself as a contender, is it best to have a 20-year-old rookie in that spot that he's pretty unfamiliar with or to trade/sign someone who's 25+ and has already been in that role or something akin to it.?

I think it would be best for him to start in the A, where he'll have a chance to further develop all parts of his game.

Of course it doesn't matter what we think.

We don't know who he has to beat out, nor do we know he'd be playing center.

He's playing wing for Canada right?

We want him to be a center long term, but doesn't mean he starts there.

Edit: Draft position doesn't make a player better. I'd take Aho over most of the 1st. round picks. Getting picked in the 1st. round didn't make Crouse better.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
He actually wasn’t the right selection or atleast they should have pivoted off of some young wingers to acquire the d that babs wanted and knew we needed after selecting marner

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Yes, marner was a great choice.

Hard to say he was the best choice, but he was a great choice and expectations were high based on that choice.

Who was a clearly better choice? Rantanen is the only one I can see (6.4. goals > assists) but outside of him I think it’s pretty clear

McDavid.

Eichel/marner/rant

Aho

The rest unless I am missing someone crazy

Reactions: ACC1224 and arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Who was a clearly better choice? Rantanen is the only one I can see (6.4. goals > assists) but outside of him I think it’s pretty clear

McDavid.

Eichel/marner/rant

Aho

I agree but it comes to need number one center or patric Kane like winger in marner or power forward rant

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

McDavid.

Eichel/marner/rant

Aho

Good question.

There are several comparable players, some haven't been blessed with the best scoring center in the league to play with.

Does it really matter, whatever name someone brings up, it isn't like there'd be an unbiased reply on this board. Mind you there wouldn't be an unbiased reply on the main board. Such is the nature of the beast in the NHL and the "center of the hockey universe."

ZWerenski, Rantanen, Aho, and Connor might be options. No the other Connor, the one in Winnipeg. The same applies to Eichel though.

Reactions: arso40

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
There’s a world where we have Matthews-Rantanen, Aho-Nylander, and Carlo.

8abxok.jpg

horner

May 22, 2007

Minten they can send to the marlies if he isn't ready but I think he is .
Cowen they can give him 10 games if he isn't ready send him back to the Knights but again I think he will be ready.

Both of these players will learn from our pros
And won't learn bad habits in junior or the ahl.

They are very smart and mature for there age

Also they were garenteed a spot on the wj team, that says alot about what other people think.

Boston's young center Poitras is doing great.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
A player that I wish we could’ve gotten was Jason Dickinson guy always has a gear to give and I’ve heard he’s just a great voice to have in the locker.

Also man… if somehow we can pry fabbro away from predators… it’ll be pretty awesome.
Dickinson is a free agent this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad