Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The league is also changing; mid tier support guys get nmcs and ntcs in free agency now.

Leafs aren't going to avoid.givjng those away. Especially if they are prioritizing convincing them to take a lower aav. Not going to be able to have your cake and eat it too here

That's why we have to be certain a guy is good value for money before we hand out deals to those middle of the roster types

I've done some tinkering and I think we can make the money work with Nylander at 10M and add a top 4D for next season
Minten or Cowan making the team would be nice but you can still make it work without either of them imo

There way to much doom and gloom in here, it's doable

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
This team always needed a D**** type of player
A player who plays a bit over the edge and a borderline POS

I know from an organizational point of view, we frown upon that. Because everyone knows Leafs are a family team.

I am so tired of being the nice team. Last night 9-3 loss and nobody did jack sh****

We need a player who'll be like F U, I am going to f u up because I can.

Just somehow get me Tom Wilson........ I am so sick and tired of watching skill players who doesn't give a F

How do you get embarrased 9-3 what essentially is a home game and just walk into the sunset?
I will say I do find it funny that every year we're looking for that same 3rd pairing gritty/physical D-man.

First it was Bogosian, then it was Lyubishkin and then it was Luke Schenn. At some point we need to find an up and coming young constant on the backend that can play that game

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
A deal with Columbus wouldn’t be bad for Peeke and Texier. Robertson heading to Columbus.

Jarnkrok - Matthews - Nylander
Knies - Domi - Marner
Bertuzzi - Tavares - Texier
Gregor - Kampf - McMann

Rielly - Peeke
McCabe - Liljegren
Brodie - Timmins

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That's why we have to be certain a guy is good value for money before we hand out deals to those middle of the roster types

I've done some tinkering and I think we can make the money work with Nylander at 10M and add a top 4D for next season
Minten or Cowan making the team would be nice but you can still make it work without either of them imo

There way to much doom and gloom in here, it's doable

Definitely is.

The Leafs are in a potentially very fortunate position where they'll have a few guys coming into the lineup with cheap elcs and bridge rfa deals to help offset the worst of the cap crunch

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
This is not our year. We need to fill way too many holes.

1) we need at least one stud dman (defensive minded, crease clearing ideally)

2) we need a #1b goalie (Samsonov and Jones aren’t reliable enough) Woll has earned the #1a.

3) we need a 3rd line center that’s responsible defensively and can pot a few goals

4) a new coach (this one can’t seem to motivate our players any longer plus he’s too soft. It’s clear he has no real power and answers to the players when it should be the other way around)

My two cents

All of this is true, but keep in mind that the team doesn't need to be perfect to win. In a cap world, there are very very few flawless teams. TB of a few years ago comes to mind, Colorado of 2 years ago as well. Boston last year (though that didn't get them far). Outside of those few teams, most contenders are quite flawed.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The AAV is about right, but I'm done giving players more than 5 years.

If Treliving has learned anything from the Huberdeau or Gaudreau contracts, both that will likely to age like milk, then he'll stay away.
Can't imagine anyone (earning a high AAV) signing for max term once Matthews didn't do so...

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Don't agree but we'll find out this summer if there are other players willing to risk guaranteed money for a chance to ring the bell again.
I just think it's easier for the team with a Rielly at 7.5M than it is with any player earning in the neighbourhood of 10M (+?).

Reactions: arso40 and ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I just think it's easier for the team with a Rielly at 7.5M than it is with any player earning in the neighbourhood of 10M (+?).
Dreger this morning thinks Willie will get a higher aav if he takes less term. It's nuts trying to sign your stars in Toronto.

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Dreger this morning thinks Willie will get a higher aav if he takes less term. It's nuts trying to sign your stars in Toronto.
That'd definitely be rough IMO. I'm just not seeing any sort of appeal for the team in signing its top players to big money and short term.

Reactions: arso40
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Man..... I've been on the buy, buy, buy train for a few seasons now but I might be switching to the "no rentals, only term" train now. At most, mid to late round picks.

Our window is open for sure, but I feel like once the Tavares contract is done, we reopen again.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Philadelphia is surprisingly doing okay and in the playoff picture, don’t think they’ll be selling their players so easily if they continue to play okay.

Reactions: SprDaVE

horner

May 22, 2007
Man..... I've been on the buy, buy, buy train for a few seasons now but I might be switching to the "no rentals, only term" train now. At most, mid to late round picks.

Our window is open for sure, but I feel like once the Tavares contract is done, we reopen again.
At most a 3rd rd pk for a dman..
We have to many holes on this team.
We don't have a 2nd this yr no 1st or 2nd next yr.

These players are untouchable
ELC contract Knies Cowen Minten and Grebyonkin are to important to this team they all have high skill and are play physic

al And are 200' players.

Our 1st this yr could be in the late teens I don't mind trading it in the offseason for a dman.

Sign a couple of ufa dman in the summer

Cowen and Minten will probably be in our lineup next yr.

Reactions: ToneDog

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
With the added cap space and Shane Pinto not too far from being able to return to the Senators, I wonder if Joseph is someone we look into? Having a pretty good season offensively, can skate and kill penalties. A little on the pricier side when it comes to his contract but could be worth it if he keeps his production up.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
On the buyer end of things, I like that teams are making deals well before the deadline last couple years, because the sellers can no longer count on a mad rush as suitors fall off with earlier deals.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
With the added cap space and Shane Pinto not too far from being able to return to the Senators, I wonder if Joseph is someone we look into? Having a pretty good season offensively, can skate and kill penalties. A little on the pricier side when it comes to his contract but could be worth it if he keeps his production up.
Zero interest for me. Just no room for a luxury forward.

horner

May 22, 2007
We need a dman and maybe a goaltender.
Not alot of assets our 1st rd pk should be off limits until we know where we are going to end up . Don't mind trading it in the offseason but not know.
Knies Cowen Minten and Grebyonkin are intouchable to me.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I believe we discussed this in the Nylander thread a few days ago.

My feeling was that you could almost match Matthews deal on the front end and dive (within rules of CBA) down the subsequent years when he's on the inevitable decline into a Cap Hit that is unfortunately high, but reasonable.

Someone with more knowledge of the CBA could present the offer ...

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I wouldn't put any pick off limits (just protected) and the protected list of prospects would be extremely short, off top of my head, Cowan, Grebyonkin, Hildeby. Knies I don't consider a prospect, but yes off-limits.

Target only term, controlled assets, not UFA.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
We need a dman and maybe a goaltender.
Not alot of assets our 1st rd pk should be off limits until we know where we are going to end up . Don't mind trading it in the offseason but not now.
Knies Cowen Minten and Grebyonkin are intouchable to me.

Yeah, close to my list, but for the right return Minten and lottery protected 1st. round I'd be okay moving. Minten could end up being an ouchie, but it's about the Matthews years.

Reactions: supermann_98

horner

May 22, 2007
Yeah, close to my list, but for the right return Minten and lottery protected 1st. round I'd be okay moving. Minten could end up being an ouchie, but it's about the Matthews years.
The problem is we have to many holes to fix this year .
Not will to trade minten a center that we have beennlooking for for years

Our top 4 have not put this team on there back in the playoffs yet. They have been veryvaverage or below in the playoffs.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The problem is we have to many holes to fix this year .
Not will to trade minten a center that we have beennlooking for for years

Our top 4 have not put this team on there back in the playoffs yet. They have been veryvaverage or below in the playoffs.

There are some where Regular Season <> Post Season.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I believe we discussed this in the Nylander thread a few days ago.

My feeling was that you could almost match Matthews deal on the front end and dive (within rules of CBA) down the subsequent years when he's on the inevitable decline into a Cap Hit that is unfortunately high, but reasonable.

Someone with more knowledge of the CBA could present the offer ...

They could structure it like that, the back few years have to be no lower than 50% of the highest year

Reactions: Rocker13 and ULF_55
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $766.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki