Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
You can have Dickinson or you can have Kampf on the roster, you should not have both.

One guy I like that would be worth checking in on over the summer is Sean Monahan.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Anyone else concerned about Robertson's play?

I mean he's definitely not in the lineup for his defensive prowess, so he needs to be producing offensively.

Has 1 goal in his last 16 games.

Reactions: horner

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018

I mean he's definitely not in the lineup for his defensive prowess, so he needs to be producing offensively.

Organization kind of yo-yo'd the kid around last few years to be fair, plus the start and stop with injuries didn't help.

I'd hate to give up a 22 year old with his scoring potential, but Robertson hasn't exactly made the most of his opportunities either.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Organization kind of yo-yo'd the kid around last few years to be fair, plus the start and stop with injuries didn't help.

I'd hate to give up a 22 year old with his scoring potential, but Robertson hasn't exactly made the most of his opportunities either.

No reason to give up on him.

If he needs some more ice time he can still safely go to the Marlies.

Reactions: arso40

horner

May 22, 2007

He needs to go to the dirty areas to score alot of perimeter shots

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Repeat of last year. Hopefully he does not get injured before Tre can trade him.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Neither overly great nor particularly worrisome overall (9 pts. in 20 GP; 10:31 TOI/G). I'd still wish for him to receive some opportunities though.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Not yet. He's not getting a ton of minutes and he's adjusting the grind of the NHL. I think the kid needs some rope and patience before we should get worried.

With his injury history he's had a career high of 37 games played at the pro level in a season .. and he's at 9 games already (20 with the Leafs).

IMO these are just growing pains. I don't think he's a liability, just struggling to find his goal scoring right now.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Not yet. He's not getting a ton of minutes and he's adjusting the grind of the NHL. I think the kid needs some rope and patience before we should get worried.

With his injury history he's had a career high of 37 games played at the pro level in a season .. and he's at 9 games already (20 with the Leafs).

IMO these are just growing pains. I don't think he's a liability, just struggling to find his goal scoring right now.

If the 2nd. PP unit was given more time could they utilize him like they do Matthews on the 1st. PP unit?

Matthews 2 empty net goals last night ... couldn't Robertson shoot into the same empty net?

:sarcasm:

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Robertson is doing fine, he just doesn't really have that much top 6 upside and has limitations. His line is also limited because him and Domi are relatively small players so when on the same line .. they don't do well in certain match ups.

I would look to package him in a deal this year or next year. Not because I think he is a bad player, just because he will probably become expendable after next year. The Leafs have too many almost ready wingers, who have higher ceilings. By 2025-2026, he won't be among the top 9 wings on the team.

2025-2026 Wingers
RW: Marner, Nylander, Jarnkrok
LW: Knies, Cowan, Grebenkin

Where does Robertson fit? This is similar to the Kapanen/Johnsson years. At some point you have to move them and not hold on too long.
If the right deal is available this year for a top 4 D, you have to consider including him. Plus, I think Steeves can slot in him on the 3rd line without too much trouble. If not, you can also give McMann and Abruzzese opportunities. If you sell high on Robertson, you can then try to up Steeves' value this year and next... before all the wingers in the pipeline arrive.

The only reason I may keep Robertson until next year is because he may be still viewed as injury prone.
So if he completes this season without a problem and puts up 40 points, he is probably seen in a better light next summer/year in a trade.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I don't think he's our priority sadly but if we move on from Domi I think he'll be a good call to replace.

High chance is we will focus more on the backend in the upcoming free agency.
Still need a 3C, I'd consider it now and move Domi to the wing where I think he'd be better anyway.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

The big guys suck up so much of the offensive opportunity, what with PP time and OZS, so it's not surprising. But he is talented. However, he does remain the most likely trade piece on the team.

Fabbro has been brought up a few times over the last week, and he's a healthy scratch in Nashville; perhaps there's a fit there.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToneDog

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

It’s amazing to me how little patience there is when it comes to Robertson and Timmins.

Both have barely had an opportunity and people are clamouring to move off from them, when their potential far exceeds any current market value they may currently have.

How about having realistic expectations of what to see. We have them both on cheap contracts and they are young talent that have barely cut their teeth in the NHL.

Honestly I don’t get it. What do you think a trade of Robertson and/or Timmins gets us back?

Keep them, and sign Comtois for a big bodied LW for league minimum if that is what you feel will be needed down the line.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
It’s amazing to me how little patience there is when it comes to Robertson and Timmins.

Both have barely had an opportunity and people are clamouring to move off from them, when their potential far exceeds any current market value they may currently have.

How about having realistic expectations of what to see. We have them both on cheap contracts and they are young talent that have barely cut their teeth in the NHL.

Honestly I don’t get it. What do you think a trade of Robertson and/or Timmins gets us back?

Keep them, and sign Comtois for a big bodied LW for league minimum if that is what you feel will be needed down the line.
It's not a lack of patience with Robertson, anyway.

It's an understanding that to get something to improve the team, you need to give as well. Also, the team isn't flush with high picks over the next three drafts, so young players and prospects are our currency.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Robertson may indeed end up the odd man out as a trade piece (Knies is close to untouchable and the current front office seems high in Cowen/Minten).

I also have little doubt he will make Leafs fans regret him being traded sooner than later, especially if he ends up on a team with a need for some skilled offensive guys and can be given more prime minutes

Reactions: LeafSteel and Kiwi

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Robertson may indeed end up the odd man out as a trade piece (Knies is close to untouchable and the current front office seems high in Cowen/Minten).

I also have little doubt he will make Leafs fans regret him being traded sooner than later, especially if he ends up on a team with a need for some skilled offensive guys and can be given more prime minutes

I just never see Robertson play well. His mind always seems 3 steps behind the game

Maybe he puts it together, he has the right tools

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

He's scoring at just under half a PPG
He's playing 10 minutes a night and he gets very little PP time
He's got an excellent shot but has most of his points from assists because of his underrated playmaking ability
He's also 22 and coming off multiple major injuries that have ruined his last 2 or 3 seasons

Trading him would be a very average idea, let's show some patience and use Robertson, Minten, Cowan and Greb to bolster and improve our bottom 6 while they develop instead?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Robertsons fit on the team is bad. Hopefully he's traded for somethibg useful

We could definitely use a somewhat productive goal scorer on the 3rd line but after a hot start, the line is slowing down.

Someone like Sprong on that 3rd line would be nice though.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Still need a 3C, I'd consider it now and move Domi to the wing where I think he'd be better anyway.
I mean I'd be very excited if we get him, however, I see us focusing on D and Net, while looking for internal solutions for forwards.

Domi and bertuzzi I'll see how it is come playoffs tbh...I agree he's prolly better on the wing though.

Miko Rantanen and Cale Makar clearly.

Reactions: Rare Jewel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad