Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
No one is dumping Robertson, just saying in the right deal he is the asset to move.

My right deal has a high value threshold 😁

Also, what is view on Chychrun? I have seen some suggestions that he could become available and he has one more year on his deal.

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
No one is dumping Robertson, just saying in the right deal he is the asset to move.

Also, what is view on Chychrun? I have seen some suggestions that he could become available and he has one more year on his deal.
Now he’s the perfect partner for lily long term

Reactions: LeafParade

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Too expensive, plus it's Ottawa.

Just my thought, but I don't think they'd want their first big trade under their new ownership to be with the Leafs, especially with the perception of giving up on/moving on from their big acquisition.

Anyway, the guy from Ottawa that fits best is Zub. Figures, the one righthanded Russian that they didn't get...

Reactions: horner and arso40

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Too expensive, plus it's Ottawa.

Just my thought, but I don't think they'd want their first big trade under their new ownership to be with the Leafs, especially with the perception of giving up on/moving on from their big acquisition.

Anyway, the guy from Ottawa that fits best is Zub. Figures, the one righthanded Russian that they didn't get...

I assume Ottawa would not make an amicable deal.
The only reason I think it may be possible next summer is because he will have one year left and end up a UFA.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think that line needs someone who can get in on the forecheck and get the puck back for Max. Some size and defensive acumen would be more desirable qualities to compliment Domi and Jarnkrok than scoring imo.

I'm okay with that too.

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
It's a basically dumping a prospect and allowing another team to take advantage of it. Don't really see the rational from the Leafs
Roberson was the best player in pre season last year and they cut him for Geno Malgin. I think he had a pretty good training camp this year and they cut him again . Keefe doesn’t like him as a player. Whatever deal that’s done for a dman I have a gut feeling he’s going to be thrown in , which I think is a mistake.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
I don't get the hype for Robertson.

He has nice shot and that's it. One dimensional and his best defensive plays are because he's saving himself from a bad read he did a few seconds before. Bad reads are what he does best.

If you play him 15+ per night you make the game easier for opponent just to try to get one extra goal.

Young shooters have good trade value in package though and we need to add one more good D to the team. Adding a good D is much more of need than watching Robertson flop around.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Roberson was the best player in pre season last year and they cut him for Geno Malgin. I think he had a pretty good training camp this year and they cut him again . Keefe doesn’t like him as a player. Whatever deal that’s done for a dman I have a gut feeling he’s going to be thrown in , which I think is a mistake.
Keefe is doing nothing wrong with Robertson. Robertson has been no good when Domi isn't standing out as a quarter back for his line. Actually Robertson is holding Domi back a lot.

Keefe wants to win games, not lose them. Increasing Robertsons usage makes us easier to play against, not harder.

Robertson is not gonna be a Knies. It's obvious by now. Not cashing in on the potential value if he even has any left this season will be a big mistake.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
We can't always get the "William" over the "Alex".

+1 for trading Robertson in the event he can actually get you a good defenceman.

I have my doubts though. My feeling is that Robertson is seen as a "meh" throw in to other teams now. The peak of his trade value has passed. Might be better just to keep him and cross your fingers.

Reactions: arso40 and VanW27

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The best deadline acquisition would be for Brodie to get his head right.
Then the best D we can get.

If Carolina drops out I wonder if we could pry one.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I can’t stand the way Keefe uses him. You’re not going to find a groove playing 8-9 minutes a game, how is the kid going to find confidence, rythmn playing that little. It’s inexcusable on a third line too. He’s should be a staple on PP2 as well, he was quite dynamic on the PP on the Marlies, that shot needs to find a place.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Are any other Leaf prospects playing the WJC, other than Minten and Cowan?

Always nice to have a first hand look at some of these kiddos.

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
Would really like to see these lines run for a little bit:
Robertson - Matthews - Nylander
Knies - Domi - Marner
Bertuzzi - Tavares - Jarnkrok

• Love

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Are any other Leaf prospects playing the WJC, other than Minten and Cowan?

Always nice to have a first hand look at some of these kiddos.
No, just these two.

—————————————
I’m not a big fan of these trade Robertson ideas… but I’d move him without hesitation for Lamoureux.

Last edited:

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I was looking at the UFA market and found an insane stat: Tommy Novak has played 340 minutes in all situations this season and he has registered 1 hit. Last year he managed 9 hits in 747 minutes. This is even crazier when you consider Nashville has 3 players in the top 10 in hits this season and 2 in the top 10 last season so it's not as if their home scorekeeper is stingy on hits.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I can’t stand the way Keefe uses him. You’re not going to find a groove playing 8-9 minutes a game, how is the kid going to find confidence, rythmn playing that little. It’s inexcusable on a third line too. He’s should be a staple on PP2 as well, he was quite dynamic on the PP on the Marlies, that shot needs to find a place.
But to be fair some do. Off the top of my head hoglander in vancouver, same treatment and he started scoring and has moved up the lineup a bit

I always was and am on the fence with robertson.. i think he could use better linemates bit it is also well within his grasp to be effective in 10 or less per game

Now if toronto did something uncanny and spread the good players over three lines robertson might get some boost

I would like to see how he would do with tavares and jarnkrok

Reactions: Rude Dog

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
I will say if the Leafs trade Robertson there’s not a single player on the Marlies that can fill into that 3LW spot that would be more effective. I don’t think Keefe has done a good job at all trying to develop the younger players . Maybe Keefe holds a grudge because he was an OHL bust?

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
But to be fair some do. Off the top of my head hoglander in vancouver, same treatment and he started scoring and has moved up the lineup a bit

I always was and am on the fence with robertson.. i think he could use better linemates bit it is also well within his grasp to be effective in 10 or less per game

Now if toronto did something uncanny and spread the good players over three lines robertson might get some boost

I would like to see how he would do with tavares and jarnkrok
Robertson-Tavares-Jarnkrok sounds like it could be good but at the same time you have 3 guys who can tunnel vision a lot and only want to shoot it. If Robertson could play RW then him playing with Bertuzzi and Tavares could be his best bet imo. Robertson is just gonna have to figure it out unless Keefe decides to split the big 3 up and have them on 3 separate lines but he'll never do that.

Reactions: arso40 and andora

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I will say if the Leafs trade Robertson there’s not a single player on the Marlies that can fill into that 3LW spot that would be more effective. I don’t think Keefe has done a good job at all trying to develop the younger players . Maybe Keefe holds a grudge because he was an OHL bust?
I'd say Holmberg, Steeves and Abruzzese could easily fill in. McMann could too and then one of them could play on the 4th line.

Reactions: andora

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
They could fill in but none of those players mentioned above are better than Robertson.
Can't be much worse. Abruzzese and Domi I don't see being a good fit together since they are both pass 1st always kind of players, but the other 3 could be.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Robertson is just gonna have to figure it out unless Keefe decides to split the big 3 up and have them on 3 separate lines but he'll never do that.
If Minten and Cowan make the team next year, I think there is a greater chance that the big 3 get separated.

Next year, Minten gives you a 200 ft C who can get up and down the ice without being a defensive liability. That is player that can be paired with Nylander and 3rd linemate who can get up and down the ice with Nylander... e.g. Robertson

Cowan is a decent playmaker which means he can play with either Matthews or Tavares... basically whoever Marner is not playing with. Then you have Knies/Jarnkrok to play as the 3rd aplyer on each line, doing more of the dirty work and providing defensive coverage.

It is possible with the current group but unlikely. You need to give each of the big 3 a viable linemate for it to work.
Not just two passengers. The make up of the current forwards makes it harder to juggle.

Can't be much worse. Abruzzese and Domi I don't see being a good fit together since they are both pass 1st always kind of players, but the other 3 could be.

Domi at C, limits the wingers that can play with him on that line. For Abruzzese to work, he probably has to play on a line that doesn't have Marner or Domi. He needs to be the playermaker on the line feeding a goalscorer like Matthews, Tavares, or Nylander.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Didn’t he make it to the show though? I thought torts coached him in Tampa briefly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad