The 2024-2025 Roster Thread

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I know it's doom and gloom right now but they've had so many chances and just gripping the stick too tight
After 13 seasons you would think the Sabres hockey team would know how to hold sticks properly or be taught properly. If I had a dollar for every time someone said the Sabres are gripping the stick too tight, I would buy the team myself and fold them so I can end everyone's misery and break them free from the chains of Sabres hockey.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I really liked Thompson’s play the second half of the King’s game. He was aggressive and got a couple dangerous chances. If he can keep that up he’ll have a good year. Maybe it just took him a little while to warm up ;)
Thompson doesn’t seem like part of the problem…he may not be playing like a star 1C but he’s been solid.

Cozens, Quinn, Zucker, Tuch, and Sammy are the main problems in my eyes. The first three especially.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Do we see Clifton with Dahlin? Why else would he put them together? Power getting a maintenance day doesn’t explain it. That would be Clifton with Byram.
Power with Dahlin maybe?

After 13 seasons you would think the Sabres hockey team would know how to hold sticks properly or be taught properly. If I had a dollar for every time someone said the Sabres are gripping the stick too tight, I would buy the team myself and fold them so I can end everyone's misery and break them free from the chains of Sabres hockey.
When people say they need to “play to their identity” I get nervous because this is their identity and has been for all of the Dahlin era.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I wonder if someone has come to a conclusion that Dahlin is better as the breakout guy rather than having to be the takeout guy on a pair? Perhaps?

I could be way off here, but Dahlin with Jokiharju wreaks of the analytics team having too much influence on lineup decisions. Together, they consistently have solid Corsi and expected metrics in a top pairing role together, which seems like they're playing well. But their actual goal differential consistently trails the expected results.

Anyone that watches them together can see that they don't have complimentary skill sets or playing styles. When there are gaffes, they are extremely costly mistakes that result in prolonged zone time, prime chances against, or goals against. That's in their own zone, what's worse is that they don't seem to have chemistry in the offensive zone either. When they do contribute to goals, it's often due to Dahlin going full highlight reel.

My pipe dream is that they're trying to pump Joki's trade value by playing him on the first pair, but I've felt this way for years and he's still here. I actually thought the Byram acquisition meant the end of Joki here, I was convinced they were gonna move him out for a mid round draft pick this past offseason. But seeing how this continues to unfold just makes me crankier about the Mitts trade.

jd1970

Feb 23, 2007
Downtown Buffalo
Why are we breaking up Tage Benny and Tuch?

In the last game they put up one of the most impressive stat lines I've ever seen:

Player 1Player 2Player 3CFCACF%CF% RelSFSASF%SF% RelGFGAGF%GF% RelxGFxGAxGF%xGF% RelSCFSCASCF%SCF% RelHDCFHDCAHDCF%HDCF% RelRush Attempts ForRush Attempts AgainstRush Attempt %Rush Attempt % RelRebound Attempts ForRebound Attempts AgainstRebound Attempt %
Zach BensonTage ThompsonAlex Tuch
25​
6​
80.65​
36.65​
5​
3​
62.5​
21.59​
0​
1​
0​
-
0.62​
0.27​
69.84​
7.69​
14​
3​
82.35​
40.42​
6​
0​
100​
40​
3​
0​
100​
66.67​
4​
0​
100​

The message should be simple - keep doing what you're doing, but hit the f***in net with your shots next game.

Juggle ice time and line mates for the other three lines all day, but that first line was fine.
They lost the only stat that matters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad