The 2024-2025 Roster Thread

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I know it's doom and gloom right now but they've had so many chances and just gripping the stick too tight
After 13 seasons you would think the Sabres hockey team would know how to hold sticks properly or be taught properly. If I had a dollar for every time someone said the Sabres are gripping the stick too tight, I would buy the team myself and fold them so I can end everyone's misery and break them free from the chains of Sabres hockey.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I really liked Thompson’s play the second half of the King’s game. He was aggressive and got a couple dangerous chances. If he can keep that up he’ll have a good year. Maybe it just took him a little while to warm up ;)
Thompson doesn’t seem like part of the problem…he may not be playing like a star 1C but he’s been solid.

Cozens, Quinn, Zucker, Tuch, and Sammy are the main problems in my eyes. The first three especially.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Do we see Clifton with Dahlin? Why else would he put them together? Power getting a maintenance day doesn’t explain it. That would be Clifton with Byram.
Power with Dahlin maybe?

After 13 seasons you would think the Sabres hockey team would know how to hold sticks properly or be taught properly. If I had a dollar for every time someone said the Sabres are gripping the stick too tight, I would buy the team myself and fold them so I can end everyone's misery and break them free from the chains of Sabres hockey.
When people say they need to “play to their identity” I get nervous because this is their identity and has been for all of the Dahlin era.

• Haha
Reactions: Sabre the Win

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I wonder if someone has come to a conclusion that Dahlin is better as the breakout guy rather than having to be the takeout guy on a pair? Perhaps?

I could be way off here, but Dahlin with Jokiharju wreaks of the analytics team having too much influence on lineup decisions. Together, they consistently have solid Corsi and expected metrics in a top pairing role together, which seems like they're playing well. But their actual goal differential consistently trails the expected results.

Anyone that watches them together can see that they don't have complimentary skill sets or playing styles. When there are gaffes, they are extremely costly mistakes that result in prolonged zone time, prime chances against, or goals against. That's in their own zone, what's worse is that they don't seem to have chemistry in the offensive zone either. When they do contribute to goals, it's often due to Dahlin going full highlight reel.

My pipe dream is that they're trying to pump Joki's trade value by playing him on the first pair, but I've felt this way for years and he's still here. I actually thought the Byram acquisition meant the end of Joki here, I was convinced they were gonna move him out for a mid round draft pick this past offseason. But seeing how this continues to unfold just makes me crankier about the Mitts trade.

jd1970

Feb 23, 2007
Downtown Buffalo
Why are we breaking up Tage Benny and Tuch?

In the last game they put up one of the most impressive stat lines I've ever seen:

Player 1Player 2Player 3CFCACF%CF% RelSFSASF%SF% RelGFGAGF%GF% RelxGFxGAxGF%xGF% RelSCFSCASCF%SCF% RelHDCFHDCAHDCF%HDCF% RelRush Attempts ForRush Attempts AgainstRush Attempt %Rush Attempt % RelRebound Attempts ForRebound Attempts AgainstRebound Attempt %
Zach BensonTage ThompsonAlex Tuch
25​
6​
80.65​
36.65​
5​
3​
62.5​
21.59​
0​
1​
0​
-
0.62​
0.27​
69.84​
7.69​
14​
3​
82.35​
40.42​
6​
0​
100​
40​
3​
0​
100​
66.67​
4​
0​
100​

The message should be simple - keep doing what you're doing, but hit the f***in net with your shots next game.

Juggle ice time and line mates for the other three lines all day, but that first line was fine.
They lost the only stat that matters.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
It's a figure of speech, not a literal term.

• Haha
Reactions: MOGlLNY

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
After thirteen seasons of the “pessimistic” fans calling it dead on right I keep waiting for the “optimistic” fans to give up on the “it’s still early…enough with the doom and gloom” charade. Won’t be this year. Maybe in year 15!

Who's going to be our 2C? The guy that could do that now in Colorado, we just don't have anyone.
We don’t have one as long as Cozens keeps playing there way over his head tanking the line either. Might as well try anything else.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
After thirteen seasons of the “pessimistic” fans calling it dead on right I keep waiting for the “optimistic” fans to give up on the “it’s still early…enough with the doom and gloom” charade. Won’t be this year. Maybe in year 15!
Saying "calling it dead on right" like predicting the Sabres not making the playoffs isn't the safest bet in sports the last decade or so lol. I give the optimistic fans credit for their perseverance and creativity in how it might actually work out this time at least.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I could be way off here, but Dahlin with Jokiharju wreaks of the analytics team having too much influence on lineup decisions. Together, they consistently have solid Corsi and expected metrics in a top pairing role together, which seems like they're playing well. But their actual goal differential consistently trails the expected results.

Anyone that watches them together can see that they don't have complimentary skill sets or playing styles. When there are gaffes, they are extremely costly mistakes that result in prolonged zone time, prime chances against, or goals against. That's in their own zone, what's worse is that they don't seem to have chemistry in the offensive zone either. When they do contribute to goals, it's often due to Dahlin going full highlight reel.

My pipe dream is that they're trying to pump Joki's trade value by playing him on the first pair, but I've felt this way for years and he's still here. I actually thought the Byram acquisition meant the end of Joki here, I was convinced they were gonna move him out for a mid round draft pick this past offseason. But seeing how this continues to unfold just makes me crankier about the Mitts trade.
I wonder how much of it is Dahlin preferring his offhand. Regardless of how good or bad Joker is, Dahlin seems more aggressive on his offhand. Plus when he’s played with another lefty there is a lot of swapping sides and a more fluid approach from Dahlin. Where he seems to pick his spots and shifts back and forth. There is some of that with Joker but not nearly as much when he plays with a lefty.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Watching Vegas a lot of late. Looks like it's now Victor Olofsson's turn to shine.

Just watched him deflect a puck while in front of the St Louis net. That's a place he would never go when with Buffalo.

Let's see now.... RoR, Eichel, Reinhart, Montour, ERod, Mittlestadt and now Olofsson. (Who else am I missing?)

Either Champs or playing like champs. What is different about Buffalo compared to these franchises?

I'd love to hear it from those who left and went onto success elsewhere. If I were part of Buffalo management, I'd sure like to know what's different. Is it the water? The taxes? The climate? The coaching? The playing style? The expectations (or lack of?)

It's got to be more than just the roster........

Is anybody on this story at all?
Those players don’t belong lumped together, their situations aren’t all the same.

To say you are jumping the gun with Olofsson would be a massive understatement. He’s only played one game. He would need to score 30+ goals in Vegas to do something he didn’t already do here. So let’s wait and see.

Jack/Mitts are the same players they became here. The change was they went to teams with better talent, leadership and coaching. Jack’s best season is still his last full season with us. Considering we were basically a one line team, it makes it even more impressive.

Sam took his goal scoring to an entirely different level last season. But the 30+ goalscorer he was prior already emerged as a Sabre. He also went to a team with better talent and coaching.

Montour got an opportunity he never got here or in his first season in Florida. Which was to be the top 5v5 RHD and the PP workhorse. Which were products of a new Maurice taking over as coach (PP+5v5 ice time) and Weeger leaving (5v5 ice time). Obviously on top of the opportunity he was given he was playing for more talented team with a better coaching.

ROR was also given an opportunity he was never gonna get here. Which was the role of #1 all situations center. That was never happening here with Jack on the roster. He took that opportunity and turned it into the best season of his career. He also went to a team with a great veteran leadership group and better coaching than he had here.

Erod doesn’t even belong in this conversation. He won a Stanley Cup playing for his 4th team in 5 years. Clearly we weren’t the only team that didn’t see him fitting into their plans.

If there is a common thread with the ones who went on to have team success. It’s better coaching, rosters, leaders and/or more vets. The ones who went on to better individual success were getting an opportunity they didn’t or weren’t going to get here.

Last edited:

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Not to be overtly positive but this team has a really clear shot to dig themselves out of the hole they made in the next week. Never want to assume anything with this organize but Pittsburgh Columbus and Chicago are all more than beatable.

Can be 4-3 just need to do the job and come they way that they have the last couple games

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Not to be overtly positive but this team has a really clear shot to dig themselves out of the hole they made in the next week. Never want to assume anything with this organize but Pittsburgh Columbus and Chicago are all more than beatable.

Can be 4-3 just need to do the job and come they way that they have the last couple games

20 games or so is usually where you can make a your 1st evaluation of the team.

PP/PK can run hot/cold. You can be catching teams at bad times, etc. Even if we are 'out of the hole' in terms of the 0-3 start, need to wait a bit before making any pronouncements

20 games is where you start to the variance even out a bit, though, there are still outliers even with that sample size.

Reactions: MOGlLNY

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
20 games or so is usually where you can make a your 1st evaluation of the team.

PP/PK can run hot/cold. You can be catching teams at bad times, etc. Even if we are 'out of the hole' in terms of the 0-3 start, need to wait a bit before making any pronouncements

20 games is where you start to the variance even out a bit, though, there are still outliers even with that sample size.
Yeah I mostly meant that it's a bit of a reset for them to get back to .500 and they can stop gripping the sticks so tight

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Oilers fans looking for their receipt on Jeff Skinner

Funny but he's doing Skinner things - solid balance of shots in his favor on the ice last night against Chicago. It seems they tore too much speed, too many younger legs out of the lineup at the moment and the team hasn't yet settled in.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I’d look for a Jokiharju replacement who can unlock Dahlin. Clifton is a trend in the right direction but I’d rather keep him on the third pair.

Also, Cozens needs to be a wing. Said that from the beginning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad